2012 Hurricanes: 8-4 or bust

CaneTrader

Recruit
Barring major injuries to key players next year, a good coach should be able to get us to 8-4 next year. If you are being fair and objective, that is the measuring stick.

Why 8-4? 8-4 assumes we lose every game to teams that are more talented than we are and win every game that we should. If we unexpectedly beat Florida State and then drop one to UNC, im fine with that as well.

We lose to: Kansas State, Notre Dame, Florida State, Virginia Tech

We beat: Bethune-Cookman, USF, NC State, UNC, Georgia Tech, Duke, Virginia, Boston College

We are actually very talented on offense next year. Fisch and Golden have the talent on the roster to make this a lethal offense next year. Another year in Fisch's system will only help our players and we have the talent on the O-Line to dominate. Whether or not Golden effectively maximizes this talent by firing Kehoe remains to be seen. However, a good coach would have the O-Line ready to dominate in Year 2. In addition, Stephen Morris has the arm strength and legs to complete those bombs that Jacory turned into INTs and scramble for some tough 3rd down yardage to keep drives alive. Another year learning the offense will only help him.

Bottom line, the offense will have to bail the defense out most of the year, but given the talent on the roster I think that is not an unreasonable expectation.

A good coach should be able to improve the team this off-season in these facets: mental and physical strength, football IQ, attitude and work ethic. If Golden is able to do that, and that alone, there is no way we can't beat the dregs of the ACC that I have listed above in the win column.

Bethune and USF are hot garbage, and we beat them this year anyway. NC State is terrible. We beat UNC, Duke and Georgia Tech soundly THIS year. Virginia and BC are mediocre teams that a combination of strength training, practice and good coaching should be able to beat.

If anyone thinks 8-4 is not the measuring stick by which to judge this coaching staff then please share. I believe accepting anything less means we have been ShanCokerized worse than I thought.

Advertisement
I agree with Trader, I think he proposes very fair and realistic expectations... Additionally, we need to win whatever bowl game we play in. If that happens, I like our chances for the ACCCG in 2013.

How far have we fallen.

8 - 4 is pathetic. Only Noles fans look forward to 4 loss seasons.

Ok, then why don't you tell us what we should reasonably expect our record to be next year?

I'm with the OP, either 8-4 or 9-3 is what a good staff could do with this team next season.

Anything less than 8 wins will have people REALLY questioning Golden. He has got it made right now compared to what it will be like next year with less than 8.

Advertisement
How far have we fallen.

Ok, then why don't you tell us what we should reasonably expect our record to be next year?

I'm with the OP, either 8-4 or 9-3 is what a good staff could do with this team next season.

Really. You think KSU, FSU, ND & V Tech are that much more talented?

KSU loses 3 of 5 starters on the OL and their best DT & End.

FSU is overrated and loses Bradham the heart of that defense.

ND loses their entire secondary and 3 of 5 starters on the OL & Michael Floyd.

V Tech loses nearly all of their starting 5 on the OL and their starting Wrs .

Virginia loses 3 of 4 starters on the DL & 3 of 4 in their secondary.

NC loses Tydreke powel & Quentin Coples from the Dl, Zach brown at MLB & Charles brown at CB & Dwight jones at WR. All difference makers.

Duke & Bethune Cookman should be automatics on our schedule.

Plus NC, VT & FSU are at home.

We could and should win 10 games.

Last edited:
I just want to see this team take a big stride next year....I know we are thin on D but we need some juco kids or kids that are ready to step in and play now.. We need to be kinda 1999 ready even though 2000 would be a nice surprise..

How far have we fallen.

V Tech loses nearly all of their starting 5 on the OL.

NC loses Tydreke powel & Quentin Coples from the Dl, Zach brown at MLB & Charles brown at CB & Dwight jones at WR. All difference makers.

home? 37,000 isn't something I'd call home field advantage, ask BC

How far have we fallen.

V Tech loses nearly all of their starting 5 on the OL.

home? 37,000 isn't something I'd call home field advantage, ask BC

trude dat. but at least we've been far less successful at Lane Stadium, UNC & Where would you prefer to play FSU?

Advertisement
why is fsu a loss? We beat ourselves this year against them....why is VT a loss took them to the end as well??

because no one believes we should win, let alone COULD

Its a late remnant of Cokerization that has yet to be exterminated from the team and fan base. All 12 of them

I want to see us winning the close games. For example against VT, if you score that late, the defense hast to step up and win the game.
The 2nd thing I want to see next year ist that we will able to play a whole season and finish strong, i am fed up watching the team´s signs of disintegration year in and year out.

I just want to see this team take a big stride next year....I know we are thin on D but we need some juco kids or kids that are ready to step in and play now.. We need to be kinda 1999 ready even though 2000 would be a nice surprise..

I think he needs to win 9 games this year. But the 2000 thing, I dont see anything like that until at least 2014. That team was loaded and full of elite upperclassmen.

I just dont think you have to be even anywhere near as good as the 2000 team to win 9 games while playing in the current ACC.

If we can do no worse than 2/3 with VT, UNC and FSU at home, we should be set up perfectly to do that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We still have a ton of work to do on our roster. I don't know what our record "should be" but I expect a lot of improvement.

We will have 4 CB for Spring Ball, McGee, Finnie, Payne, DJohnson. Payne and DJohnson will never play CB here and probably are attrition candidates. That's just downright scary.

Can we at least wait until how we look as a team during spring ball before predicting what our record should be.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back