2011 'Horns v. Okie State

jerzeycane

All-ACC
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OULgCuhXZfA

Long *** time ago

Doesn't give you the ALL 22, but I was looking for performances from that season because it was his best at a Power 5 school. This is a game against a Pro QB and one of the best offensive minds in CFB. Decent barometer of what we might see, although the pieces here I think will be better than even what Diaz had at Texas that year.

1) It feels like he brought 5+ on at least 75% of the snaps lmfao dude was like **** the torpedoes send em all

2) You see some of what you all dread. The fire zones where DE's drop into coverage and Weeden/Gundy shredded it a couple times because they bluffed em and made them declare where they were coming from.

3) I remember watching Jordan Hicks terrible run fit on 4th and 1 live. He was supposed to be a freshman phenom.

4) They were pretty **** good on 3rd down all day. It's just the burns when they didn't get something predictable on 1st and 2nd. Gundy never got lazy with his play calling and was prepared for Manny bringing something exotic on early downs.

5) Texas D-Line seemed pretty paltry if you ask me. They kinda looked like us. No explosiveness and they very rarely beat a guy 1 v. 1 to get pressure. Pressure was almost always manufactured.

Some of you geniuses get in here whenever you can and break this stuff down like experts

Last edited:
Advertisement

Long *** time ago

Doesn't give you the ALL 22, but I was looking for performances from that season because it was his best at a Power 5 school. This is a game against a Pro QB and one of the best offensive minds in CFB. Decent barometer of what we might see, although the pieces here I think will be better than even what Diaz had at Texas that year.

1) It feels like he brought 5+ on at least 75% of the snaps lmfao dude was like **** the torpedoes send em all

2) You see some of what you all dread. The fire zones where DE's drop into coverage and Weeden/Gundy shredded it a couple times because they bluffed em and made them declare where they were coming from.

3) I remember watching Jordan Hicks terrible run fit on 4th and 1 live. He was supposed to be a freshman phenom.

4) They were pretty **** good on 3rd down all day. It's just the burns when they didn't get something predictable on 1st and 2nd. Gundy never got lazy with his play calling and was prepared for Manny bringing something exotic on early downs.

5) Texas D-Line seemed pretty paltry if you ask me. They kinda looked like us. No explosiveness and they very rarely beat a guy 1 v. 1 to get pressure. Pressure was almost always manufactured.

Some of you geniuses get in here whenever you can and break this stuff down like experts

it's very aggressive. i also see a lot of open space for runners to cut back on counters and a lot of dropped passes for potential big gains. okie state left a lot of yardage and points on the table.

Long *** time ago

I'm no expert but I've found a lot of important stats that may show he is much better than what people on here will have you believe (although NOT Elite, I completely agree, but still very good)

I think Diaz has done a remarkable job of being agressive and blitzing so often yet not giving up the big play(which is usually what you get with an aggressive blitzing coordinator)

this year at MSU they were the best team in the nation in stopping big plays(20+ yards). Miss St. also ranked top 20 in pass defense efficiency (advanced stats in other thread). This is pretty crazy when you're bringing the heat all the time. This is a pretty crazy stat and shows his teams play disciplined defense. It's usually hit or miss with blitzing defense and defenses like d'onofrios read and react are supposed to be the ones that don't give up big yardage in chunks but Diaz managed to do it consistently while bringing 5 or 6 rushers very often. Also kind of promising since we got Banda too who worked with the Mississippi State secondary this past year

https://twitter.com/SportSourceA/status/666452772959551488 [MENTION=3951]Coach[/MENTION]_MannyDiaz #HailState defense has only given up 20+ yard plays on 3.93% of all plays run against them. This is lowest % of any FBS tm.

https://twitter.com/SportSourceA/status/666401552463040513 [MENTION=3951]Coach[/MENTION]_ShoopPSU's #NittanyLion def has only allowed 17 20+ yd pass plays- lowest in FBS. Next lowest is [MENTION=3951]Coach[/MENTION]_MannyDiaz #HailState def w/18

They were also 12th in TFL this season. So not only is he blitzing heavily, it's working because they are getting the ball carrier behind the line of scrimmage and they are stopping over pursuit and miscues that normally come with blitzing heavily and stopping 20+ yard plays consistently. This should improve even more with Coach Kool here as well

he also keeps teams out of the endzone(the most imporant stat). They were 10th in redzone scoring defense at Miss State this year.

https://twitter.com/SportSourceA/status/663529050799902720
The only 3 FBS defenses to have given up less than 10 rush TDs and 5 or less pass TDs are: @umichfootball @HailStateFB & [MENTION=10436]badger[/MENTION]Football

also fwiw, all this while losing their best 3 players on defense and 8 starters overall on the unit last year so he was working with an inexperienced unit

again I'm not crazy about the guy and would have preferred others, however the more research I do the more I see how he can be very successful here. More talent, easier division, coach kool. A lot of positives

Last edited:

Long *** time ago

I'm no expert but I've found a lot of important stats that may show he is much better than what people on here will have you believe (although NOT Elite, I completely agree, but still very good)

I think Diaz has done a remarkable job of being agressive and blitzing so often yet not giving up the big play(which is usually what you get with an aggressive blitzing coordinator)

this year at MSU they were the best team in the nation in stopping big plays(20+ yards). Miss St. also ranked top 20 in pass defense efficiency (advanced stats in other thread). This is pretty crazy when you're bringing the heat all the time. Also kind of promising since we got Banda too who worked with the Mississippi State secondary this past year

https://twitter.com/SportSourceA/status/666452772959551488 [MENTION=3951]Coach[/MENTION]_MannyDiaz #HailState defense has only given up 20+ yard plays on 3.93% of all plays run against them. This is lowest % of any FBS tm.

https://twitter.com/SportSourceA/status/666401552463040513 [MENTION=3951]Coach[/MENTION]_ShoopPSU's #NittanyLion def has only allowed 17 20+ yd pass plays- lowest in FBS. Next lowest is [MENTION=3951]Coach[/MENTION]_MannyDiaz #HailState def w/18

They were also 12th in TFL this season. So not only is he blitzing heavily, it's working because they are getting the ball carrier behind the line of scrimmage and they are stopping over pursuit and miscues that normally come with blitzing heavily and stopping 20+ yard plays consistently. This should improve even more with Coach Kool here as well

he also keeps teams out of the endzone(the most imporant stat). They were 10th in redzone scoring defense at Miss State this year.

The only 3 FBS defenses to have given up less than 10 rush TDs and 5 or less pass TDs are: @umichfootball @HailStateFB & [MENTION=10436]badger[/MENTION]Football

also fwiw, all this while losing their best 3 players on defense and 8 starters overall on the unit last year so he was working with an inexperienced unit

again I'm not crazy about the guy and would have preferred others, however the more research I do the more I see how he can be very successful here. More talent, easier division, coach kool. A lot of positives

i'm not anti-diaz (lukewarm on him), but the video that jerzey posted has a **** ton of big plays and the defense is getting shredded. it's a bit alarming since 2011 is the only year at texas that he was able to fully run his zone and had his best defense. we don't play a ton of spread/precision teams, but we do now have fuente in our division, and i'd rather not go back to more long stretches of making vt quarterbacks look like heisman contenders.

Advertisement

Long *** time ago

this year at MSU they were the best team in the nation in stopping big plays(20+ yards). Miss St. also ranked top 20 in pass defense efficiency (advanced stats in other thread). This is pretty crazy when you're bringing the heat all the time. Also kind of promising since we got Banda too who worked with the Mississippi State secondary this past year

i'm not anti-diaz (lukewarm on him), but the video that jerzey posted has a **** ton of big plays and the defense is getting shredded. it's a bit alarming since 2011 is the only year at texas that he was able to fully run his zone and had his best defense. we don't play a ton of spread/precision teams, but we do now have fuente in our division, and i'd rather not go back to more long stretches of making vt quarterbacks look like heisman contenders.

yeah I completely agree, definitely failed at Texas. Guy isn't my first option, nor was he Miami's (we reportedly offered aranda). I just think it's important to look at what he's done since the texas diaster and see what lies in store. I am very worried after reading up on his texas days. the only peace I get is when I look at what he did at LA tech and Miss St. this year. both were very impressive in my opinion and seems like he fixed some of his miscues at texas(i hope)

also sorry for hijacking the thread, thought it was a diaz thread, not necessarily just on that game/scheme

Last edited:
I've already watched 4 games from Mississippi St this year (all on YouTube), and Diaz has clearly calmed down on the exotic blitzing. Night and day compared to these Texas videos.

Long *** time ago

yeah I completely agree, definitely failed at Texas. Guy isn't my first option, nor was he Miami's (we reportedly offered aranda). I just think it's important to look at what he's done since the texas diaster and see what lies in store. I am very worried after reading up on his texas days. the only peace I get is when I look at what he did at LA tech and Miss St. this year. both were very impressive in my opinion and seems like he fixed some of his miscues at texas(i hope)

also sorry for hijacking the thread, thought it was a diaz thread, not necessarily just on that game/scheme

It is. Talk about any Diaz game you got in mind.

That was a good OSU team with Weeden and Blackmon. Texas held them to their third lowest point total that year.

Advertisement

Long *** time ago

this year at MSU they were the best team in the nation in stopping big plays(20+ yards). Miss St. also ranked top 20 in pass defense efficiency (advanced stats in other thread). This is pretty crazy when you're bringing the heat all the time. This is a pretty crazy stat and shows his teams play disciplined defense. It's usually hit or miss with blitzing defense and defenses like d'onofrios read and react are supposed to be the ones that don't give up big yardage in chunks but Diaz managed to do it consistently while bringing 5 or 6 rushers very often. Also kind of promising since we got Banda too who worked with the Mississippi State secondary this past year

What you posted makes no sense in context of what JC posted. Also we have seen and even in the spin you are trying to put on his recent work, the man is man coverage averse.

He is an upgrade over Dorito, but he has huge question marks against teams that run the spread.

Long *** time ago

What you posted makes no sense in context of what JC posted. Also we have seen and even in the spin you are trying to put on his recent work, the man is man coverage averse.

He is an upgrade over Dorito, but he has huge question marks against teams that run the spread.

It does make sense if you read the very first thing I wrote in the OP

I see a lot of 3 man DL fronts.

:puzzled:

In the past Manny has ran some 3 man fronts. His first stint at MSU comes to mind. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with who his opponent is. They're strengths and weaknesses, and some of his blitz/stunt looks. Sometimes the head coach has a lot of input into what's ran also. I wouldn't worry too much about it cause we'll be based outta a 4-3, here (per Richt). You're probably see some 3 man stuff at times, too, but it won't be much, IMO.

Advertisement
I watched their Belk Bowl game against NC State and I saw a bunch of times their corners lined up in press man.

I saw 2 Miss St games this year, not including the bowl game. I actually really liked the defense, partcularly the fact that it is all downhill. There did seem to be a lot of blitzing, but nothing insane or reckless as some posters have insinuated. It was definately a really aggressive 4-3, and was the polar opposite of the soft "let the play come to you" garbage we have been forced to suffer through. I'm actually pretty stoked.

They held OSU to 31 offensive points. OSU had a special teams TD. That was 18 below their season average. They averaged 48.7 per game against a pretty good schedule. They also held them to 420 yards of offense, 125 below their season average. They put up over 40 points against Venables OU defense, Stanford, KSU and Mizzou that season. That was a stacked, multi dimensional offense with 1st rounders at QB and WR and an NFL caliber RB. Here's a link to that OSU season. Considering that, Diaz's defense didn't do to badly in that game.

2011 Oklahoma State Cowboys Schedule and Results | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Advertisement
Not to mention Texas held them to less points than a #10 Oklahoma team (at the time) with a defense coached by Brent Venables.

Long *** time ago

Good research.

But, let's look at Diaz's aggressive and simplistic 4-3 scheme(s) and his ability to create havoc
in the backfield and cause massive turnovers, in combination with coach Kools monster rush blitz
and his D Lines ability to create chaos and cause massive quantities of sacks & TFL's.

I feel really good about our defensive future.

Will this all come together next season? Most likely not. Will we be a more feared defense
next season as compared to 2015? Hopefully.

It's my opinion we will create enough havoc to strike some fear in our opponents again.

When you look at the simplicity of the 4-3 defense,

Lovie Smith Explains The Big Advantage Of The 4-3 Defense - Blogging The Boys

then yes, I think we are closer than some think.

At the very least it will be better than the "death by a thousand cuts" syndrome Doritos
had us in and much more exciting to watch. It's been awhile!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back