2006 = The Slide

D_Canes

Redshirt Freshman
2006 was the year things began to slide towards mediocrity. Some on here know more about inside the administration and can add that point-of-view but I can point out the obvious. I have 3:

1. Sub-par Coaching - Coker, Shannon, Golden, Richt, Diaz. The only big-time coach there is Richt and he was on the semi-retirement train while he was here. Even then, he posted a 10-3 season. The 4 coaches before those? Butch, Erickson, Jimmy Johnson and Schnellenberger. STRONG.

2. Major Sanctions - In 2011, Nevin fired a howitzer missile at the program and hit it directly. Canes were already on the slide but this impacted Golden's tenure before it even began. Those sanctions set us back a decade.

3. Change in the Recruiting Landscape - Programs upped the ante on facilities and accommodations in major money programs. Big sell for South Florida athletes who have terrible facilities at their local high schools. Also, I believe technology has a lot to do with recruiting. In 1994 I went from Dade County to Tennessee to play college football. Making the decision to go away came with the difficult reality that I wouldn't get to see my family except for Christmas and Summer. Since the iphone and Facetime, that's no longer the case. South Florida athletes can now see their Momma every day on their screen and that is a game-changer.

Those are the major reasons I see. Many people here can offer further insights. Here are the results since 2002:

Canes Record Since 2002.JPG

Advertisement
There is sooo many things that add to it, its hard to pinpoint.. I would say whenever that lsu beatdown was is the beginning (anybody remember coker actually realizing he has devin ******* hester on his sideline and finally tells him oh you will play offense, we gonna highlight you like reggie bush next year, and hester saying oh ok, then giving finger and going to NFL).

Cheap hires. Golden was thought of really highly when he came in as a great recruiter and he probably could have outtalent teams if he could load up but the Nevin thing destroyed that aspect and he was weird af about keeping his butt buddy as DC, that level of nepotism where you put your friendship above the university who pays you to do a job and make the right decisions is crazy. But we were soo backwards and behind when he came in, we werent even doing camps, Something I think Urban pushed when he was at UF and changed the game with.. we were 5 years or so behind with all schools doing that stuff.. We werent running spread when college football was changing and these smaller schools without resources were benefiting from it. We should of been one of the first since we cry broke..

We lacked true leadership from up top, nobody has a vision for school, everyone is just riding gravy train raping university of money, even bringing unqualified family and friends.

'61- '81 = years of mediocrity and deathknell, talk of program drop

'82-'01 = rise of the Phoenix and exhilarating ride to the top, the glory years

'02 - '21 = slip and slde to the dungeons, we are dead again

'22 - '41 = can we rise again and bring back hope and the glory years???

'42 .... don't know, don't care

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back