2 things

Saltycane

Sophomore
Premium
1. I am shocked at how well James went about this search, he handled it like a professional and consider that this is the best Football Hirer since Butch Davis.

2. I am numb that we actually have a proven coach (you can debate all day if he is better than this guy or that). Finally with a proven head coach you will be able to attract quality assistance and quality players.

Advertisement
It helped that the BOT gave him a lot of $$ to play with, and the timing of Richt's separation from UGA couldn't have been better. But, I agree, Blake deserves credit for not squandering the opportunity.

It helped that the BOT gave him a lot of $$ to play with, and the timing of Richt's separation from UGA couldn't have been better. But, I agree, Blake deserves credit for not squandering the opportunity.

Richt fell into our lap. Then the BOT told Flake to chase him with a checkbook. Even DBC could have handled that.

Richt fell into our lap. Then the BOT told Flake to chase him with a checkbook. Even DBC could have handled that.

That is not entirely accurate. Richt himself said that UM reached out to him right after Golden was hired. So he has been on their radar all along. He said no of course at that time. But once he was fired it was full speed ahead.

Advertisement

The bot did? Is that why Blake called him the Sunday golden was fired?

Most great hires include great timing. Saban was struggling with the Dolphins and Alabama aggressively pursued him. Do you think he would have left if the Dolphins were a playoff team? Meyer took a year off from UF and Ohio State pounced. I'm not sure this wasn't planned when Tressel was fired, but either way Meyer was available. Harbaugh was fired/left the 49ers and had a past relationship with Michigan. I recall reading Pete Carroll has a daughter at USC when he was hired, so there was even a connection there.

Time will tell, but I believe The U was fortunate Richt was available. Even the pro-Butch crowd knows CMR was a serious upgrade over Schiano and the other candidates not named Butch Davis.

Advertisement
Back