2 TE Sets

streetja

UM HC: Miami Natives Only 😎
How often do you expect we line up with it and just how much of an advantage is it going to create for us?

Listened to the amazing Greg Cosell the other day and he emphasized just how difficult it is for defenses to defend against multiple TE formations. Defenses will often play their base personnel and if you can line up your TE's outside the formation as a WR that's where you really create major mismatches. Brevin fits that mold to the T, and if reports are true going all the way back to Spring Practice, we're 3 deep at TE since Irvin II is really coming into his own. Which means we should be able to always have 2 fresh TE's at any given moment.

They say a TE is a QB's best friend, so how about giving him two?

Advertisement
With the two TEs we happen to have, I expect to see it a lot. I'm not sure Mallory has dropped a single ball thrown anywhere in his pterodactyl-like range yet this year. And Brevin is, well, Brevin. Those two are a match up nightmare on their own, much less on the same field at once. Enos is no dummy.

I don't think there's any question that we're going to see a bunch of this happening. One in-line and one split out, both split out, both in-line, three TE sets in goal line / short yardage, there's no limit to what Enos could do in personnel packages and moving them around.

This is one spot on the roster where our depth gives us a distinct advantage against pretty much everybody we will face.

I don't think there's any question that we're going to see a bunch of this happening. One in-line and one split out, both split out, both in-line, three TE sets in goal line / short yardage, there's no limit to what Enos could do in personnel packages and moving them around.

This is one spot on the roster where our depth gives us a distinct advantage against pretty much everybody we will face.
I love all those scenarios. Always keep the defense guessing which in turn should really open up our run game too.

And let's not forget that coach richt was building this thing to take out all of his frustrations on the rest of college football, just started about 5years to late, he would've been straight had he come home instead of the penn disgrace moron regime, this team would've been dominating by now!

Advertisement
I think enos will use it quite a bit. It definitely is a advantage when you have 2 athletic guys at the position like we do.

Example you come out in 12 personal and the defense is then forced to go base defense because it's a big lineup and you fear a team trying to run it down your throat.

Do that vs uf and you make them use there base 3-4(they usually are in nickel). You catch them with the 3-4 looks and then you can kick a guy like mallory out in the slot. And now you can potentially get him matched up on a LB or safety. Or you could move both TEs out in the slot and now you are potentially forcing hybrid de/olb to cover. You can run out those sets as well.

And let's not forget that coach richt was building this thing to take out all of his frustrations on the rest of college football, just started about 5years to late, he would've been straight had he come home instead of the penn disgrace moron regime, this team would've been dominating by now!
giphy.gif

Advertisement
I think we’ll see a ton of two TE sets.

*Jordan and Mallory are two of our four best receivers. Need them in play.

*this set allows us to show and use a strong running game threat. Safeties will have to respect play action if we establish the run. This will let our wideouts to see 1-1 coverage. 2 and 4 should do well against single coverage.

*2 TEs offers possible chip blocking help to our very young OTs in the passing game. Keeping our new QB (whomever he is) upright against Florida gives us to chance to complete early passes and build confidence in our passing game. Early sacks could destroy momentum right out of the box. Cannot have that.

For reference, the highest usage percentage of 12 personnel in the NFL last year was about 36%. Teams like the Eagles, with Ertz and Goedert, ran 2 TEs 35% of the time. Comparing their NFL roster to our college roster, I think we have WRs who have advantages against our opponents more than they had advantageous WR matchups. So you might think we run it less. But, specifically because of Enos and our unique Jordan/Mallory + depth situation, I actually think we'll still be around 35-40% of our snaps with 2 TEs.

Two TE groupings force the defense to play base personnel. You break the huddle in 12 personnel but then line up with one or both tight ends in the slot or split wide and it forces the defense to move linebackers out of the box and defend in space. If the defense tries to counter with nickle, you run it down their throat.

How often do you expect we line up with it and just how much of an advantage is it going to create for us?

Listened to the amazing Greg Cosell the other day and he emphasized just how difficult it is for defenses to defend against multiple TE formations. Defenses will often play their base personnel and if you can line up your TE's outside the formation as a WR that's where you really create major mismatches. Brevin fits that mold to the T, and if reports are true going all the way back to Spring Practice, we're 3 deep at TE since Irvin II is really coming into his own. Which means we should be able to always have 2 fresh TE's at any given moment.

They say a TE is a QB's best friend, so how about giving him two?

What's interesting about DBL TE, with 2 WR, either twinned on one side of the field or field, it makes the DC have to make a decision and think and out of their game plan, in both the the run game and pass game.

It creates new running gaps, i.e., it extends off tackle plays, you can run counter with both a pulling OT and TE, etc. and it forces defense to either play the TE as more receiver like options, i.e., have 2 high safety look with iso'd receivers, or a single high safety look(other is in the box) and again iso'd receivers.

It really messes with a DC's mind.

Comparing it to any NFL team is silly because it's rare that with a 53-man roster they carry two big name TE. Last time that happened was with Gronk and Hernandez, and that played out pretty well.

Advertisement
What's interesting about DBL TE, with 2 WR, either twinned on one side of the field or field, it makes the DC have to make a decision and think and out of their game plan, in both the the run game and pass game.

It creates new running gaps, i.e., it extends off tackle plays, you can run counter with both a pulling OT and TE, etc. and it forces defense to either play the TE as more receiver like options, i.e., have 2 high safety look with iso'd receivers, or a single high safety look(other is in the box) and again iso'd receivers.

It really messes with a DC's mind.

Comparing it to any NFL team is silly because it's rare that with a 53-man roster they carry two big name TE. Last time that happened was with Gronk and Hernandez, and that played out pretty well.
What in the world are you talking about? 3 teams ran it for more than 1/3 of their plays. 5 teams ran it for 1/4 of their plays or more. Using that as a reference for the direction a college team, with more depth at the position, can use it, is a completely reasonable baseline to predict our number to exceed how much it's used in the NFL. You're actually strengthening the point while calling it "silly."

Advertisement
I think enos will use it quite a bit. It definitely is a advantage when you have 2 athletic guys at the position like we do.

Example you come out in 12 personal and the defense is then forced to go base defense because it's a big lineup and you fear a team trying to run it down your throat.

Do that vs uf and you make them use there base 3-4(they usually are in nickel). You catch them with the 3-4 looks and then you can kick a guy like mallory out in the slot. And now you can potentially get him matched up on a LB or safety. Or you could move both TEs out in the slot and now you are potentially forcing hybrid de/olb to cover. You can run out those sets as well.

Better yet, you send Brevin and Mallory to the outside and now you have KJ and Thomas in the slots.

O7TYPd.gif

With the versatility of these guys, the versatility of the formations and plays we can run with the same personnel on the field is only limited by the creativity of the coordinator/playcaller. We can line up out of the standard I with Brevin at FB/HB, we can go wildcat, we can run bunch sets like the Rams or Chiefs loved to show last year, or, with the versatility of our RB's, we can go to a basically true 5 wide look. We need a QB who can lead and can mentally and physically keep up, and we need an offensive mind willing and able to scheme it up.

Let's see what we get.

HBrOb9J.gif

Having the 2 TE set will help the offense move the chains. Big time mismatches as everyone as mentioned. But the key is helping move the chains.

But that isn't Enos offense though. He isn't dink and donk. He's deep crossers, and deep post routes. He's far more aggressive than teams that usually play under center.

Advertisement
Back