2 Min Drill From Ryan Williams' Perspective

Glad to see UM getting with times technically other schools have been using the helmet cam for years to coach their QB film analysis. AG getting Donna to open the check book for the football now, I like it.

Go Canes

[video=youtube_share;ZlR6BfRO2TA]http://youtu.be/ZlR6BfRO2TA[/video]

Advertisement
Not one 2-gap scheme there, fellas (3-3-5 nickel personnel). Three under looks and three even looks (both with a stand up rush end/LB).

Obvious passing downs (2-minute drill) we don't 2-gap.

Exactly. We're multiple. Appreciate it. I'd rather not go on a rant, but we need to appreciate that we have schematic answers to offenses. If we can get this defense right, then we can pose a lot of problems for teams since we can be so different from one down to the next.

Man you dont know what you talking about. No team that 2 gaps will use it in obvious passing situations. The problem is they try to do it to much on 1st and 2nd and it effects the pass rush when teams throw on early downs. When you 2 gap it calls for you to read and react and or d-line doesnt have the power to maintain the los vs the run.

Not one 2-gap scheme there, fellas (3-3-5 nickel personnel). Three under looks and three even looks (both with a stand up rush end/LB).

Exactly. We're multiple. Appreciate it. I'd rather not go on a rant, but we need to appreciate that we have schematic answers to offenses. If we can get this defense right, then we can pose a lot of problems for teams since we can be so different from one down to the next.

Man you dont know what you talking about. No team that 2 gaps will use it in obvious passing situations. The problem is they try to do it to much on 1st and 2nd and it effects the pass rush when teams throw on early downs. When you 2 gap it calls for you to read and react and or d-line doesnt have the power to maintain the los vs the run.

Yes. I know. It's obvious. I know what I'm talking about. The one time I dumb things down for people, I get jumped on for stating the obvious. If anyone here knows a thing or two about defense, its me.

And yes, teams DO 2 gap in passing situations. Many even front teams like to line their defensive tackles in 2-tech's (head up guards) and 2-gap them, looking for screen or draw. The ends are sent to rush or "jet", where they disregard triangle run reads. The jetting ends usually get a good pass rush, while the defensive tackles take up blockers, while fulfilling their spy responsibilities.

Last edited:

Yes. I know. It's obvious. I know what I'm talking about. The one time I dumb things down for people, I get jumped on for stating the obvious. If anyone here knows a thing or two about defense, its me.

And yes, teams DO 2 gap in passing situations. Many even front teams like to line their defensive tackles in 2-tech's (head up guards) and 2-gap them, looking for screen or draw. The ends are sent to rush or "jet", where they disregard triangle run reads. The jetting ends usually get a good pass rush, while the defensive tackles take up blockers, while fulfilling their spy responsibilities.

Shut up.

Majority of the time especially during a 2 minute drill defenses are not going to 2 gap because the offense is in no huddle mode and defenses normally dont have the chance to do anything exotic.

And you a grown *** man i guess talking bout shut up come on now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's too bad they can somewhat stabilize the camera view to better represent how the QB sees things. I don't know about anyone else, but my vision is a helluva lot steadier than that camera.

Advertisement

Is this post for real?

I can't believe 2 gapping is common in 2 minute situations. Even so, how on earth does this somehow disprove the notion that the scheme isn't garbage? Every bad defense that has ever been assembled has had "multiple" looks in their respective scheme, by your definition.

I'll appreciate Onfrio's scheme a heck of a lot more once he's fired.

Last edited:

Is this post for real?

You don't 2 gap in a 2 minute situation. How on earth does this somehow disprove the notion that the scheme isn't garbage? Every bad defense that has ever been assembled had "multiple" looks, by your definition.

Keep reading the thread for an explanation. People do 2-gap in 2-minute/passing situations. I'll quote from my previous post, since you couldn't find it:

"And yes, teams DO 2 gap in passing situations. Many even front teams like to line their defensive tackles in 2-tech's (head up guards) and 2-gap them, looking for screen or draw. The ends are sent to rush or "jet", where they disregard triangle run reads. The jetting ends usually get a good pass rush, while the defensive tackles take up blockers, while fulfilling their spy responsibilities. "

By saying that we're multiple implies that we play multiple techniques. Every defense in America has multiple fronts and coverages. Gary Patterson at TCU, who I respect very much, swears by multiple principles, even though they're a 425. They 2 gap their ends, and they also don't. They run man coverage, they run zone coverage. I spent some time in Ft. Worth to learn about their system, and one point that resonated with me was;

If a team like to run man coverage beating routes, then they will play zone all game, and vice versa. They are different every week, depending on their opponent. He has no problem turning into a man coverage team for an entire season if they need it.

It's the same principles in the run game. If you're playing classic power running team [teams who like man blocking schemes (down, kick, lead)] then the defense should 2 gap. It just works well against it. We were 2 gapping all day vs. UF. If you're playing a zone read or a stretch team, then you want to shade and play gap control. We do it all. That's good. If we can get good at doing it all, then we will be unstoppable.

Is this post for real?

You don't 2 gap in a 2 minute situation. How on earth does this somehow disprove the notion that the scheme isn't garbage? Every bad defense that has ever been assembled had "multiple" looks, by your definition.

Keep reading the thread for an explanation. People do 2-gap in 2-minute/passing situations. I'll quote from my previous post, since you couldn't find it:

"And yes, teams DO 2 gap in passing situations. Many even front teams like to line their defensive tackles in 2-tech's (head up guards) and 2-gap them, looking for screen or draw. The ends are sent to rush or "jet", where they disregard triangle run reads. The jetting ends usually get a good pass rush, while the defensive tackles take up blockers, while fulfilling their spy responsibilities. "

By saying that we're multiple implies that we play multiple techniques. Every defense in America has multiple fronts and coverages. Gary Patterson at TCU, who I respect very much, swears by multiple principles, even though they're a 425. They 2 gap their ends, and they also don't. They run man coverage, they run zone coverage. I spent some time in Ft. Worth to learn about their system, and one point that resonated with me was;

If a team like to run man coverage beating routes, then they will play zone all game, and vice versa. They are different every week, depending on their opponent. He has no problem turning into a man coverage team for an entire season if they need it.

It's the same principles in the run game. If you're playing classic power running team [teams who like man blocking schemes (down, kick, lead)] then the defense should 2 gap. It just works well against it. We were 2 gapping all day vs. UF. If you're playing a zone read or a stretch team, then you want to shade and play gap control. We do it all. That's good. If we can get good at doing it all, then we will be unstoppable.

The 2 gapping thing doesn't even matter...not gonna argue since I don't have an idea what every team in America does in that regard.

But to somehow attempt to extrapolate that point into saying we should be thankful for a system that yielded 500 yards or more to 6 or 7 opponents down the stretch last year, in addition to being torched in general since the Temple boys arrived, is the definition of ASININE.

The scheme has been absolutely torched while at the University of Miami...that's all I care about. Homeboy can't get fired soon enough.

Advertisement
The 2 gapping thing doesn't even matter...not gonna argue since I don't have an idea what every team in America does in that regard.

But to somehow attempt to extrapolate that point into saying we should be thankful for a system that yielded 500 yards or more to 6 or 7 opponents down the stretch last year, in addition to being torched in general since the Temple boys arrived, is the definition of ASININE.

The scheme has been absolutely torched while at the University of Miami...that's all I care about. Homeboy can't get fired soon enough.

I'm am guilty of always leaning towards the coach's side, that's true. But I do it for a reason. Coaches rarely have anyone on their side, even when things are going well. Uneducated fans will always question decisions, play calling, "scheme", etc. I have a hard time standing idle while our fan base bashes our staff on what people like you call "scheme". People don't realize the importance of positivity to a program. We need to support them.

While the "scheme has been torched," the players have been torched too. Maybe the scheme sucks, but until we have talent AND depth, we can't make that determination. The more time I have spent around football, the more I realize that players are the ones who make coaches look smart. All coaches can do is mess it up [excuse my hyperbole]. Have we had realistic hopes for our defense in the past 3 years? I know I wasn't excited about a senior class that featured Shayon Green and AJ Highsmith.

Be realistic. Sophomore Jamal Carter > Senior KC Rodgers; Junior Tyriq McCord > Senior Shayon Green; Sophomore Alex Figueroa > Senior Tyrone Cornelius; See the trend? We're going to be better this year. Start believing it and support our team.

I'm am guilty of always leaning towards the coach's side, that's true. But I do it for a reason. Coaches rarely have anyone on their side, even when things are going well. Uneducated fans will always question decisions, play calling, "scheme", etc. I have a hard time standing idle while our fan base bashes our staff on what people like you call "scheme". People don't realize the importance of positivity to a program. We need to support them.

While the "scheme has been torched," the players have been torched too. Maybe the scheme sucks, but until we have talent AND depth, we can't make that determination. The more time I have spent around football, the more I realize that players are the ones who make coaches look smart. All coaches can do is mess it up [excuse my hyperbole]. Have we had realistic hopes for our defense in the past 3 years? I know I wasn't excited about a senior class that featured Shayon Green and AJ Highsmith.

Be realistic. Sophomore Jamal Carter > Senior KC Rodgers; Junior Tyriq McCord > Senior Shayon Green; Sophomore Alex Figueroa > Senior Tyrone Cornelius; See the trend? We're going to be better this year. Start believing it and support our team.

To each their own...all I can do is completely disagree with your entire line of reasoning.

Bottom line...there's a big enough sample size at this point to clearly state that THIS scheme, and the guys running it...are garbage.

What? We may have a lot of answers, in theory, to offenses. We're not quite flexible in using them. If we had "an answer" schematically to Wake's offense last year, they wouldn't have been moving around our defenders by simply widening their splits across South Florida.

Advertisement

What? We may have a lot of answers, in theory, to offenses. We're not quite flexible in using them. If we had "an answer" schematically to Wake's offense last year, they wouldn't have been moving around our defenders by simply widening their splits across South Florida.

Context. I was commenting in the context of 6 plays we saw in the video. Keep reading the thread. They did it against NC state, and FSU too and had success. C'mon, admin. You're better than that.

This is a discussion in theory. Obviously.

WF had 361 total yards that game and 21 points. Pick a game that actually illustrates your point.

Is this post for real?

It's the extremely rare college team that can "do it all" well. For all the 2-gapping you're mentioning on passing downs, a lot of that now is done on ONE HALF of the field (or DLine) while the other half of the DLine is one-gapping. It's essentially what Seattle (in the NFL) does. It's not something I expect to be done well in college. The fact you mention TCU is odd. They have a very aggressive blitz package - with players shooting gaps and flying off the edges (bullets and smoke). I've long "defended" our coaches in saying that they know all of this and know their options, but are just choosing to play a certain way to fit a certain philosophy. The problem is that philosophy is not currently based on aggression. Maybe that's because they didn't trust the players. Maybe that will change now. We shall see.

WF had 361 total yards that game and 21 points. Pick a game that actually illustrates your point.

Typical answer. People want to talk about stats and numbers without mentioning context. Wake was not a talented team. If you think Wake moving our players around is not an advantage for later opponents, then feel free to skip watching the games and just look at the box scores. Pick an argument with some substance. We can discuss.

Advertisement
Back