2 gap

That Bama defenders look miserable out there running this scheme.

Bicho is here!!!

Bama runs a two gap system, but their system is very very aggressive. They blitz a lot, and play a ton of man. Saban has been quoted as saying he has no interest in corners that cant play bump and run.

Dude...Bama probably plays just as much cover 3 as we do and plays marginally less off coverage. We have played plenty of press coverage and gotten burned when we do it.

No they really don't, and anyone who watches Alabama will tell you this. They play a physical in your face brand of football. They put a ton of pressure on the opposing team.

Also we played great in the second half last game because we brought people into the box and played tough on the outside corners. That's how you play defense.

Advertisement

Bicho is here!!!

Bama runs a two gap system, but their system is very very aggressive. They blitz a lot, and play a ton of man. Saban has been quoted as saying he has no interest in corners that cant play bump and run.

Dude...Bama probably plays just as much cover 3 as we do and plays marginally less off coverage. We have played plenty of press coverage and gotten burned when we do it.

No they really don't, and anyone who watches Alabama will tell you this. They play a physical in your face brand of football. They put a ton of pressure on the opposing team.

Also we played great in the second half last game because we brought people into the box and played tough on the outside corners. That's how you play defense.

So What you can't blitz in the Cover 3? You can't play bump and run in a Cover 3? I have watch Alabama Defense, and i have seen plenty of alignments that look same as miami defensive alignments(short side DB is pressing, and the wide DB is 10 yards off, etc). The difference is Alabama has a more stout DL, and the LB and DB are comfortable in the scheme making their reaction time half that of our players because they know read.

Bicho is here!!!

So What you can't blitz in the Cover 3? You can't play bump and run in a Cover 3? I have watch Alabama Defense, and i have seen plenty of alignments that look same as miami defensive alignments(short side DB is pressing, and the wide DB is 10 yards off, etc). The difference is Alabama has a more stout DL, and the LB and DB are comfortable in the scheme making their reaction time half that of our players because they know read.

Just look at the video below. They play their linebackers and corners much closer to the LOS than we do. They play zone, but they don't sit there in cover 3 all day and just pray the other team ***** up.Their corners are consistently 5 yards off the LOS as are their linebackers. Our corners are almost always 8-10 yards off the LOS, and our linebackers are almost always 7-8 yards off the LOS. You know what the Bama defense below looks familiar too though as far as how they're lining up? Our team in the second half against UNC.

We put pressure on UNC, but bringing people up to the LOS and forcing their QB to make difficult throws as well as putting pressure on the QB with timely blitzes. That's how you play football that isn't how our defense was being called a majority of the season up to that point. I would love to see more of that against FSU. Also we better not attempt to cover their 4 wide set with linebackers that would just be retarded. It's fine to run a zone, but running cover 3 the entire game and giving the other team a **** 10 yard cushion on the outside every play is retarded. That's why people hate D'onfronio, because the guy calls his defense like a giant *****.

It also helps that they have the proper personnel to run that defense. Most of their Dline is **** near 300lb's. It silly to try and run that defense with our personnel and that stupid decision falls on the coaches. We'd honestly be better off running a 3-3-5 with the personnel we have because it would allow us to take advantage of our speed on defense.

Last edited:
One other thing is if you watch that video. You'll see whenever Bama goes into that set we run with the linebackers and corners off the LOS Auburn would run to the outside and get 7-8 yards each time. Now you know what Bama did they adjusted. You know why we got raped by Notre Dame, and K-State we never once adjusted. We just kept running the same play without bringing people closer to the LOS to attack the run. That's a coaching issue not a player issue. You have to put your players in the proper position to win. If you don't that falls on your not your players. You know why the defense looked the best it has all year in the second half against UNC they finally made that adjustment. Sure UNC still moved the ball, but they weren't moving it at will.

Advertisement
In the military, when moving forward in an assault, you can either guide right, or you can guide left. No one can guide both left and right.

It sounds good on paper, but it's unworkable. I'm saying it cannot consistently be done, and the rare occasions when it 'appears' to work, it was usually an accident.

Billy-D_Approves.jpg

Just look at the video below. They play their linebackers and corners much closer to the LOS than we do. They play zone, but they don't sit there in cover 3 all day and just pray the other team ****s up.Their corners are consistently 5 yards off the LOS as are their linebackers. Our corners are almost always 8-10 yards off the LOS, and our linebackers are almost always 7-8 yards off the LOS. You know what the Bama defense below looks familiar too though as far as how they're lining up? Our team in the second half against UNC.

We put pressure on UNC, but bringing people up to the LOS and forcing their QB to make difficult throws as well as putting pressure on the QB with timely blitzes. That's how you play football that isn't how our defense was being called a majority of the season up to that point. I would love to see more of that against FSU. Also we better not attempt to cover their 4 wide set with linebackers that would just be retarded. It's fine to run a zone, but running cover 3 the entire game and giving the other team a **** 10 yard cushion on the outside every play is retarded. That's why people hate D'onfronio, because the guy calls his defense like a giant ****.

It also helps that they have the proper personnel to run that defense. Most of their Dline is **** near 300lb's. It silly to try and run that defense with our personnel and that stupid decision falls on the coaches. We'd honestly be better off running a 3-3-5 with the personnel we have because it would allow us to take advantage of our speed on defense.

Advertisement
Why do people keep saying that our DB's are always ten yards off the ball? It's just not true and there is no fact in that statement.

Also. There are other reasons that Bama plays more press than us.

1) They have better DB's
2) They have no concerns about their front 7 being able to stop the run by themselves. Playing off coverage is better against the run.
Because for the majority of the plays THEY DO line up that way?

Billymays doing work in this thread

Bama doesn't play zone (LOL). Wait...they do. I mean they play that tough in your face zone.

Bama doesn't play anywhere near the amount of cover 3 zone we do. I've never said once they don't play zone they run a zone blitz scheme for christ sakes. They don't play all the cover 3 we do. Their Db's aren't dropping back into deep coverage and starting 10 yards of the ball every single play. If you're going to criticize my statements at least be accurate in your criticism. Do you know anything about football? Bama plays a very physical brand of football please tell me where I'm wrong in any points I made. I'd appreciate it although I think we both know anything you have to respond with will be garbage anyways.

You're one of the people that seem to think coach D doesn't deserve any critcism for the job he'd done this year which is insane. He's been **** poor two years running. He called a great second half against UNC, but that's the only good thing he's done this year.

Last edited:
Why do people keep saying that our DB's are always ten yards off the ball? It's just not true and there is no fact in that statement.

Also. There are other reasons that Bama plays more press than us.

Our DB's have been playing far as **** off the LOS all year long, and Bama doesn't even press that much. They keep their Corners near the LOS at the beginning of the play to help with the run so they don't get gashed on those toss plays to the outside. Watch how hard their corners crash on those plays to outside when they're near the LOS, and watch how when they aren't how they get gashed for yards on those outside plays. While the defense is great when run properly you're play calling has to be on point as well. The defense itself isn't easy to run. When run at a high level though it's a great defense. I personally wouldn't run it any day of the week over your basic 4-3.

Advertisement

Bama doesn't play zone (LOL). Wait...they do. I mean they play that tough in your face zone.

Bama doesn't play anywhere near the amount of cover 3 zone we do. I've never said once they don't play zone they run a zone blitz defense for christ sakes. They don't play all the cover 3 we do. Their Db's aren't dropping back into deep coverage and starting 10 yards of the ball every single play. If you're going to criticize my statements at least be accurate in your criticism. Do you know anything about football? Bama plays a very physical brand of football please tell me where I'm wrong in any points I made. I'd appreciate it although I think we both know anything you have to respond with will be garbage anyways.

You're one of the people that seem to think coach D doesn't deserve any critcism for the job he'd done this year which is insane. He's been **** poor two years running. He called a great second half against UNC, but that's the only good thing he's done this year.

Just because they aren't dropping back into a deep 1/3 doesn't mean they aren't playing a cover 3. Cover 3 is their base defense and they pattern read out of it, which could result in a guy playing a deep in route or a flat route if his area isn't challenged.

We are attempting to do the SAME THING. They just have better, more experienced, and more football savvy players.

No they have the proper players to run the defense. That's the difference your coaches are being hard headed. People keep talking crap about Shannon's Defensive recruiting, but if Shannon was running his 4-3 there is no doubt in my mind the defense wouldn't be this bad because these players were brought in to do that. Look at Bama's front line. Those guys are huge. There linebackers are all around 235 or bigger, and their Dlineman are all over 280. You can't run the defense with our personnel it just doesn't work. Why people are giving Golden a pass for attempting to do something this dumb is beyond me. Bama doesn't run the same amount of cover 3 we do, and if they do they certainly don't make it obvious because of the way they line up on the ball. They don't start their CB's 10 yards of the LOS and let you know what defense you're going to be looking at.

Bama doesn't play anywhere near the amount of cover 3 zone we do. I've never said once they don't play zone they run a zone blitz scheme for christ sakes. They don't play all the cover 3 we do. Their Db's aren't dropping back into deep coverage and starting 10 yards of the ball every single play. If you're going to criticize my statements at least be accurate in your criticism. Do you know anything about football? Bama plays a very physical brand of football please tell me where I'm wrong in any points I made. I'd appreciate it although I think we both know anything you have to respond with will be garbage anyways.

I've criticized D'Onfrio in more then one post. I've offered a few different suggestions on small schematic changes that I think would work.

I'm just tired of what this board has devolved to. Every thread turns into a play man, blitz, bash D'O thread. Offering small solutions and realizing that Golden/D'Onfrio aren't going to totally revamp their schemes mid-season makes me a D'O slurper.

Advertisement

Bama doesn't play anywhere near the amount of cover 3 zone we do. I've never said once they don't play zone they run a zone blitz defense for christ sakes. They don't play all the cover 3 we do. Their Db's aren't dropping back into deep coverage and starting 10 yards of the ball every single play. If you're going to criticize my statements at least be accurate in your criticism. Do you know anything about football? Bama plays a very physical brand of football please tell me where I'm wrong in any points I made. I'd appreciate it although I think we both know anything you have to respond with will be garbage anyways.

Just because they aren't dropping back into a deep 1/3 doesn't mean they aren't playing a cover 3. Cover 3 is their base defense and they pattern read out of it, which could result in a guy playing a deep in route or a flat route if his area isn't challenged.

We are attempting to do the SAME THING. They just have better, more experienced, and more football savvy players.

No they have the proper players to run the defense. That's the difference your coaches are being hard headed. People keep talking crap about Shannon's Defensive recruiting, but if Shannon was running his 4-3 there is no doubt in my mind the defense wouldn't be this bad because these players were brought in to do that. Look at Bama's front line. Those guys are huge. There linebackers are all around 235 or bigger, and their Dlineman are all over 280. You can't run the defense with our personnel it just doesn't work. Why people are giving Golden a pass for attempting to do something this dumb is beyond me. Bama doesn't run the same amount of cover 3 we do, and if they do they certainly don't make it obvious because of the way they line up on the ball. They don't start their CB's 10 yards of the LOS and let you know what defense you're going to be looking at.

They aren't expecting this to be successful this year like you and every other prisoner of the moment canes fan who wants instant gratification. They are building. You think that you are so intuitive and so lucid that you are the only person on the planet to know that we don't currently have the personnel to run this defense? Really?

You don't think that Al Golden knows that asking Corey King to engage a blocker is not necessarily the best way to win now? You don't think D'Onofrio knows that asking Eddie Johnson to adjust his coverage to the route combination, may cause him to think too much, as opposed to just playing straight man-to-man across the board?

It's just pure arrogance to think that you know more than these guys when they have ALREADY been successful at implementing this defense AT TEMPLE for crying out loud. Excercise some patience.

I agree with this - I think many of us are still dumbfounded that we're 119th in total defense (even with a complete overhaul in system and players).
It's tough to fathom... but you're probably right. We'll find out in a few years what the future could hold with this defense.

EXACTLY!! Just because your in a Cover 3 zone does mean you can't you jam receiver and be physical. The Cover 3 bascially lets a DB you are repondsiable for anything deep outside the hashes. Billymay i am with that Coach D does deserve some of the blame, not to the extreme some people do. Do i wish were a little bit more aggressive? (Bane Voice) Of Course!!

Question, What makes the Pittsburgh Steerlers so effective at running a 3-4 Zone Blitz Scheme? There are plenty of other teams that run the 3-4 in the league that are not as dominate with the same scheme.

How about when Monte when he was running the Tampa-2 in Tampa Bay? Why were they so effective?

I would say its the players they had that ran their system and had a understanding on what need to be done.

Billy, So what would you do? Scrape the system and run it next year? Revert back to the Shannon's Defenses? Run different defense every year? keep the system, and pray to God the learn it so they be more aggressive?

In reading each responsibility for each defensive player on each play.. you can see why some of our guys may need more than one season to grasp the system.

For the "run the Randy D" crowd. It would make no sense, we might be better defensively this year, but it wouldn't help us in the grand scheme of things..

"we're playing ball, we're playing receiver threat... not the grass"... I think our guys need to grasp this.

Last edited:
"Now, it should be pointed out that Coach Saban himself will say that they often play out of a Base Cover 1 defense (sometimes a Base Cover 1 Robber) as opposed to a Base Cover 3, but the simple fact is that Saban’s defenses are a hybrid of the standard plays. It is impossible to lock him down into a single base defense. "

http://www.alabamaintel.com/articles/the-tide-defense

Advertisement
Back