2 examples of horrendous coaching

sfcane2

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
I often think that game management is somewhat overrated at least in comparison to recruiting, schemes, player development and motivation. My prime example is Nick Saban who is a horrendous game manager but the best coach in CFB. Still watching the Wisconsin-MSU it was amazing to watch Bielema and Dantonio both give the game away. I thought for sure when Bielema ran the ball 3 straight times leaving 2 minutes on the clock against a team that had its way offensively that he gave the game away. You do that if you have LSUs defense not Wisconsins.

Yet he was bailed out by an even more insane decision by Dantonio to go for the punt block.

You basically had one coach who was so conservative he tried to give the ball away. And another who was reckless and gave the game away.

Advertisement
If you want examples of horrendous coaching just watch Miami vs maryland, miami vs k-state, Miami vs UV and the first half vs Bethume Cookman.

Advertisement
If you want examples of horrendous coaching just watch Miami vs maryland, miami vs k-state, Miami vs UV and the first half vs Bethume Cookman.
\

Not sure what "coaching" has to do with getting physically pushed all over the field vs. UVA and KSU.

Yet he was bailed out by an even more insane decision by Dantonio to go for the punt block.

1. He played to win. Can't fault him with that.
2. MSU has blocked a few this year. However, the player on the field KNOWS not to set up his trajectory AT the kicker, it should be in FRONT of the kicker at the end of his foot to block the kick. You've seen it 1000 times before, you know what it is.
3. Bielema ran the ball to run out the clock. Didn't work well enough at the moment, but the standard of calls at that point is to take it to the end and not risk a turn over which loses you the game.

Great coaching by both. It was a tremendous game and both teams balled out. Can't say any ACC team wouldn't have gotten manhandled by both teams.

1. He played to win. Can't fault him with that.
2. MSU has blocked a few this year. However, the player on the field KNOWS not to set up his trajectory AT the kicker, it should be in FRONT of the kicker at the end of his foot to block the kick. You've seen it 1000 times before, you know what it is.
3. Bielema ran the ball to run out the clock. Didn't work well enough at the moment, but the standard of calls at that point is to take it to the end and not risk a turn over which loses you the game.

Great coaching by both. It was a tremendous game and both teams balled out. Can't say any ACC team wouldn't have gotten manhandled by both teams.

I disagree. There was 1:55 or something left on the clock when MSU went for the punt block down 3. Dumb. Too many bad things can happen (as we saw) & there's PLENTY of time to at the very least get into FG range.

If I was a fan of Wisky I wouldn't have liked the 3 runs & a pile of dust to kill the clock but I can't say that was terrible coaching. It definitely wasn't great coaching by either at the end & just dumb by MSU with that much time left when you've put 39 points on the board already

\

Not sure what "coaching" has to do with getting physically pushed all over the field vs. UVA and KSU.

Player personel issues and playcalling were big issues in both those games. Having Chanse Ford in the game on short yardgae situations is already questionable but then you run behind the guy twice in a row? The "stop the qb sneak" defensive alignment that left us vulerable on the edge vs K-state?

Having a mlb covering a 5-8 185 rb on the edge in space with no S help vs UV?

Advertisement

Here's a better list of garbage coaching performances.

UM vs VT
UM vs BC
UM vs UVA
UM vs NCST
UM vs UNC
UM vs GT

UM vs UF
UM vs FSU
UM vs GT
UM vs NCST
UM vs UNC
UM vs Cal

Shall I continue? :ibisroflmao:

We had tempo issues this year when we were down late in games that may have cost us. Huddling and running playclock down when we should have been getting to the line and snapping it. Other than that, it wasnt too bad.

Advertisement
Back