2 deep at OL for rest of year.....

canesd

Recruit
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
268
We have 9 guys who can play in my opinion so a lot of mixing/matching options with the smart and elite cross training that Mirabal/Cristobal use. I doubled up Cantwell as I think they will want Congdon to stay locked in at LG the rest of the year with Buchanon hurt. I know they used Merriweather at RT in the Clemson game so he probably gets first look and McCoy goes inside but he did not play great so would be great if Cantwell moves up the chart like Congdon did. SJ can play C so we have 3 options there along with Rodriguez moving to G. Lots of permutations.

LT - Samson, Cantwell
LG - Congdon, Pickett
C - Rodriquez, Woodrow
RG - SJ, Merriweather
RT - McCoy, Cantwell
 
We have 9 guys who can play in my opinion so a lot of mixing/matching options with the smart and elite cross training that Mirabal/Cristobal use. I doubled up Cantwell as I think they will want Congdon to stay locked in at LG the rest of the year with Buchanon hurt. I know they used Merriweather at RT in the Clemson game so he probably gets first look and McCoy goes inside but he did not play great so would be great if Cantwell moves up the chart like Congdon did. SJ can play C so we have 3 options there along with Rodriguez moving to G. Lots of permutations.

LT - Samson, Cantwell
LG - Congdon, Pickett
C - Rodriquez, Woodrow
RG - SJ, Merriweather
RT - McCoy, Cantwell
There was some talk over the summer of Wilkerson looking good. Wonder what the deal is since I don't think he's played at all.
 
There's really no point in listing a 2 deep b/c many of those guys won't play. It's like a WR rotation - it's limited.

Realistically, I think we have an OL rotation of 7 guys the whole season. It would be 8 if Cantwell could play.
 
You expect to lose at least one guy on your line during the season. And before this season, it was possible we would be without a starter due to suspension. So, while this is problematic mainly because we did not have quality depth to start — most do not in the NIL age — it’s not something the coaches haven’t planned for. We’ll be alright.
 
One positive about this, OL is probably going to be a major strength….. Next year

I would agree with you ten years ago, but these days one never knows with the transfer portal era. Projecting future rosters at any program is a waste of time.
 
One positive about this, OL is probably going to be a major strength….. Next year

It's not definite yet. It all depends on the progress of Hawks and Cantwell. If those 2 are ready to be starting tackles, then I would agree with you. If they are a year away, then I'm more worried.

It would be nice if a guy like Ervin could take a next step. And of course, we have some beasts coming in with this recruiting class, especially at guard.

I always envisioned 2028 as being a great OL year. 2027 can be a transition year for us as we'd be breaking in a new center and 2 new tackles.
 
Need to find the best 5 and figure out where they can play.

If Cantwell is better at right tackle (but not guard) than any other backup at any other position then McCoy needs (and I'm assuming would) take one for the team and move back inside to right guard.
 
Back
Top