2/28/24 Game 9: FGCU 5-3 L

I think it has to do with the lack of development and fundamentals more than anything. Last years team was more than capable and talented enough to win a regional. But when you can’t run bases, can’t get guys over and in with less than two outs, refuse to work counts or layoff breaking balls, when a starter is at 85 pitches in the 6th, you don’t win playoff/tournament games. And to your recruiting point, the talent wasn’t overwhelming enough to overcome that.

Overall I don’t think any team since 2008 was good enough to win it all, but plenty were good enough to do much better than they did (aside from the two years of no tourney that ended the streak. Those teams were god awful). You can’t be poorly coached and not talented enough.
08 is exactly the team that broke me. Live in Omaha. Been a changed man since 🤣

Advertisement
And what's interesting is Muscara came from Maryland and the Big Ten not exactly an obvious hotbed area or conference for baseball.
He’s a Northeast guy. From Nee Hampshire if I remember correctly. Maryland took him from St Johns. And when he was at Maryland they were in the tourney a couple time. and I believe they won a regional one of those years as well. He’s been good everywhere he’s been.

Football program had cemented themselves as trash around that time and the only hope we had left was baseball. Just to be crushed again.
That 2015 team was a team of wasted potential as well. Led the country in runs plus had a decent pitching staff at least statistically if I recall.

Advertisement
That 2015 team was a team of wasted potential as well. Led the country in runs plus had a decent pitching staff at least statistically if I recall.
I’d argue that team vastly overachieved. They lost series to every good team they played. Louisville, FSU, UVA, 1-4 against UF. And had that easy road against Columbia and VCU to get to Omaha. Fringe top 25 team, not Omaha worthy.

Last edited:
I’d argue that team vastly overachieved. They lost series to every good team they played. Louisville, FSU, UVA, 1-4 against UF. And had that easy road against Columbia and VCU to get to Omaha. Fringe top 25 team, not Omaha worthy.
Yeah there's no denying the super regional was much easier than it could have been.

Walter was only the guy to hire if he brought Muscara, who is about to be a HC elsewhere after this year.

People forget he’s a .550 coach at Wake. Yes I know he’s built the program up, but he did that by bringing in Muscara. He only had one good season at Wake prior to 2022. They completely revamped their pitching philosophies and recruiting philosophies for hitters. Bring in the hardest throwers you can find and the guys who hit long fly balls that will carry out of that Cracker Jack box they play in.

You notice how they struggled to score in Omaha? 8 runs in 4 games. Strikeouts and fly balls don’t get it done out there. And they couldn’t do anything else to manufacture runs either.
I don't care about his past record. What has he done recently?

So, you're giving all the credit to the pitching coach. What you're really saying is the coach knows how to hire the right people and build his program.

Last edited:
I don't care about his past record. What has he done recently?

So, you're giving all the credit to the pitching coach. What you're really saying is the coach knows how to hire the right people and build his program.
Took him 8 years to find that. Good coach, not great. Walter will take a nose dive when he leaves.

Advertisement
Took him 8 years to find that. Good coach, not great. Walter will take a nose dive when he leaves.
I disagree. What you fail to realize is that he has a system that's working well. He's not going to discard his system for developing pitchers. It's state-of-the-art. He's going to find a guy to fit the system he has in place. It doesn't matter if it was his pitching coach who developed the system. It's his now.

Keep the machine running. That's what I've been saying that JD doesn't have. We don't see arms being stacked and developed like RBs on a championship football team.

Maybe that changes as JD spoke about NIL commitment when he was hired.

The Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, and now Mario formula is what puts you on top and keeps you on top.

I disagree. What you fail to realize is that he has a system that's working well. He's not going to discard his system for developing pitchers. It's state-of-the-art. He's going to find a guy to fit the system he has in place. It doesn't matter if it was his pitching coach who developed the system. It's his now.

Keep the machine running. That's what I've been saying that JD doesn't have. We don't see arms being stacked and developed like RBs on a championship football team.

The Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, and now Mario formula is what puts you on top and keeps you on top.
That’s not true. At all. They will get worse once he leaves. Idc what “system” he leaves. He’s the guy. Period.

You aren’t ok if you out Mario in the same sentence as Saban and Kirby

That’s not true. At all. They will get worse once he leaves. Idc what “system” he leaves. He’s the guy. Period.

You aren’t ok if you out Mario in the same sentence as Saban and Kirby
You're just being "extra."

Mario and Kirby are from the Saban tree. Why is our football roster now the best in the ACC? Don't forget Mario won conference titles at Oregon. His successor Dan Lanning wom with Mario's players.

You think Saban was just a great coach? No. He's didn't win mediocre talent he won by stacking the best talent year after year.

Lastly, good coaches continue to learn an adapt. You can't just assume Walter is going to abandon the successful system in place. That's just foolish thinking.

End of discussion.

You're just being "extra."

Mario and Kirby are from the Saban tree. Why is our football roster now the best in the ACC? Don't forget Mario won conference titles at Oregon. His successor Dan Lanning wom with Mario's players.

You think Saban was just a great coach? No. He's didn't win mediocre talent he won by stacking the best talent year after year.

Lastly, good coaches continue to learn an adapt. You can't just assume Walter is going to abandon the successful system in place. That's just foolish thinking.

End of discussion.
Guy never won until Muscara got there. There is zero evidence he’ll do it when he leaves.

Saban wasn’t a great coach? You are delusional.

Idc where Mario came from. He hasn’t won **** compared to those other two. Lanning won with Lanning’s players. That narrative has already be disproven on the football board.

Advertisement
Rad’s exhaustive nationwide search gives us this crap……
C’mon man…unless somebody knows something I don’t…which is extremely possible. There is no way that Rad went this direction just because alums were pressing for him.

To blow this thing up..in a fashion somewhat similar to when we brought Morris in from GT…it has to be a money thing from what we spent on football and basketball. Maybe it just wasn’t in the cards right now to bring in the proven guy. Yes…I know…I’m making excuses…but I just have to believe they allocated resources that made sense at the time.

Again, I don’t know. We all know why Gino got the nod after Morris…but there is no way, in my humble opinion, that a prior Cane like Rad didn’t know the history and decided this was the best idea. Maybe it was a let it ride and blow it up if necessary next skipper thing.

What I do know is that he gets his time now, and we have to roll with it

C’mon man…unless somebody knows something I don’t…which is extremely possible. There is no way that Rad went this direction just because alums were pressing for him.

To blow this thing up..in a fashion somewhat similar to when we brought Morris in from GT…it has to be a money thing from what we spent on football and basketball. Maybe it just wasn’t in the cards right now to bring in the proven guy. Yes…I know…I’m making excuses…but I just have to believe they allocated resources that made sense at the time.

Again, I don’t know. We all know why Gino got the nod after Morris…but there is no way, in my humble opinion, that a prior Cane like Rad didn’t know the history and decided this was the best idea. Maybe it was a let it ride and blow it up if necessary next skipper thing.

What I do know is that he gets his time now, and we have to roll with it
You didn’t say it is not crap and I respect that. But come on we can’t afford a playoff level baseball team? If that is true, we just need to give it all up.

What's annoying is it's not just Florida running circles around us development wise its teams like Duke. Their Saturday and Sunday starters are both at least 6 ft 5. Body types like Robert should be the pitcher norm going forward.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back