(2/17) Miami vs. Cuse (CBS-Noon)

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
Forget the UVA game. They're ranked #1 for a reason. We had our chances, but without Bruce, we didn't have enough offense, and we didn't play a perfect game. We're still 18-7, 7-6, an RPI of 28. We were a 6 seed in the bracketology before last night. We're not a bubble team, so stop freaking out.

With that said, we have to stop this slide. Syracuse isn't a bad team, but we should win at home. They're 17-8, 6-6 with an RPI of 36. They did just beat Louisville on the road, but that's about their most impressive win. If we didn't struggle so much against the zone, I'd worry a lot less.

Advertisement
They’re not good and they were nice enough to lose to Wake.

They beat Pitt x 2, WF, UL, BC and VT.

Two road wins in conference, UL and Pitt.

Watch them tonight against NCST.

Toss up. Need Sam to shoot more. He should be able to shoot over Cuse's zone with his height. I expect him to play big minutes on Saturday

Advertisement
Agree with you OP. No reason to freak out over last night. Virginia has done that to almost everyone they’ve played this year.

We didn’t get many open looks last night, we will get them against Syracuse. Just going to be a matter of can we knock down enough of them.

Also, i think it’s time to slide Ezundu into the starting lineup.

They’re not good and they were nice enough to lose to Wake.

They beat Pitt x 2, WF, UL, BC and VT.

Two road wins in conference, UL and Pitt.

Watch them tonight against NCST.
Maybe we are not the same team we were one month ago. Our last two loses showed me that team is in a funk and are playing very poorly. I think players are discouraged and it shows in their performance. Based on last 2 games I would say do not write in a W against any of our future opponents. Disappearance of Huell and Lawrence recently is alarming.

Advertisement
They play zone.

Pretty much no reason why newton should get more than 15 mins of court time.

Lineups with lykes/Lonnie/DJ/Wburger/and pick a big man. Please

OK here is the perfect game to shut me up about the 1/2 court offense or lack of. Everybody knows Cuse plays good zone defense.

Newt BTW can be pretty good against the zone if he gets the calls if not don't bother

i always want to run so that's first for me

I want to see a clear plan in place for attacking the zone.

As in

A weave of some sort . We desperately need to get the players moving inside the zone
Izundu at the 5. if he fouls out he fouls out
Huell, AMP or Whattaburger at the foul line . Running some set plays with them or shooting the 10 footer. (Not Huell)
Some inside out passes that actually look like plays
Some back door passes that actually look like a play
Some ball screen shots that actually look like a play

I do not want to see Lonnie standing in the corner doing nothing. Make him the one if you have to
I do not want to see meaningless ball rotation till 8 seconds left on the clock.
I do not want to see coach barking at Lykes for trying to make something happen

Important game. We have to defend the house and show we have a plan for the zone or season is basically over.

Advertisement
Maybe we are not the same team we were one month ago. Our last two loses showed me that team is in a funk and are playing very poorly. I think players are discouraged and it shows in their performance. Based on last 2 games I would say do not write in a W against any of our future opponents. Disappearance of Huell and Lawrence recently is alarming.

I couldn't agree more. Lawrence was electric in that win over VT up in Blacksburg with his 25 points. Not much at all since then. Huell led us in all categories through more than half the season and now ... I don't know what to think. Gotta be a story behind what has happened with Huell. More than his defensive shortcomings I suspect.

Advertisement
Huell at least has a job in this offense. That being the pick and roll guy and the lob down low guy. Ideally the pick and roll guy at the foul line is also a medium range shooter so i don't like him there. Amp and Walker have no job. They are furniture waiting for a ball to be dropped in their lap for a 3 point attempt. I would like to see Amp or Walker as the P+R guy and Izundu as the lob guy. I doubt I get my wish as I see coach just living and dying with the late 3 today. I hope I am wrong

Need to start the little man and keep Newton on the bench for a while. I blame some of this on Coach L as far as the offense is concerned. All we do is weave and when Newton gets the ball he holds it for many seconds wasting valuable time. Time to Coach L to step up and earn his pay and demand that Lonnie take a more pro active role and ste some offensive plays if we have any. I would classify this is a must win to gain confidence. If I was both BB and Lonnie I would stay an extra year. BB needs to stay 4 years in my opinion.

Advertisement
Back