2/16/24 Game 1: NJIT Thread 1-0 W

Advertisement
The bullpen looked really good tonight honestly. Hernandez was not a named mentioned much and he looked pretty good, Robert looks good as well, Scinta man his velocity is a serious question mark, he topped out at 84 mph.
Robert looked awesome. Guy is huge and was throwing in the 92-94 range. If he keeps getting stronger, my gawd.

It's just game 1 guys. Teams struggle in game 1. There's more examples, but i wanted to show teams closer to NJIT

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 7.59.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 7.59.28 AM.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 7.59.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 7.59.46 AM.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 8.00.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 8.00.02 AM.png
    99.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 8.00.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 8.00.29 AM.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 0
It's just game 1 guys. Teams struggle in game 1. There's more examples, but i wanted to show teams closer to NJIT
I get your point. However. Indiana State lost in the Super Regionals last year. They are very good. Fullerton made the tournament last year and look to be very good this year. They now have beaten Stanford twice.

Advertisement
Not sure what happened to Ziehl - seemed to lose focus after cruising. The pen bailed him out.

I thought the team executed fairly well, e.g. Torres Sac Fly w two strikes, well placed bunts, etc. Whether we like it or not, we're going to see it all year long, and rightfully so w a young team. You have to put pressure on the defense when you can't hit for a lot of power.

I thought JD was actually pretty good tonight. I thought the Costello double play on the bunt was a lack of execution. Most players don’t understand you don’t have to attempt a bunt on every pitch in at bat, he picked a bad pitch to bunt on, and actually should’ve walked in that sequence

100% but the time to be ****ed over that is gone. It’s a done deal. Accept the trash that you’ll see for the foreseeable future. Call for JD’s head if the team still sucks next year. Sad that’s where this once great program is, but nothing you can do about it now.
We are in the “Randy Shannon” stage of baseball.

Advertisement
I get your point. However. Indiana State lost in the Super Regionals last year. They are very good. Fullerton made the tournament last year and look to be very good this year. They now have beaten Stanford twice.
Yeah, Indiana State is on a different planet than NJIT. Louisville winning that game would’ve been an upset.

Indiana State not only went to the Supers, they should’ve hosted it, but were already hosting the Special Olympics. They return a ton and are certainly going to have a better year than Miami.

NJIT is a low-major. Not a mid-major. Losing any games to a northern low-major is unacceptable, but certainly early, when Miami has been outside all year and NJIT might be playing their first outside game.

One game samples in baseball are volatile, but these cannot be the norm.

I don’t think they will, to be fair. I think NJIT used everything they had to try for this one.

I see all this talk of the team not having much power. I get the replacing Morales will be pretty much impossible but are we just assuming that Torres and Cuvet aren't gonna do much? I'm guessing you all also would say that Perez hitting 13 last year was probably a fluke? Just curious.

Advertisement
I see all this talk of the team not having much power. I get the replacing Morales will be pretty much impossible but are we just assuming that Torres and Cuvet aren't gonna do much? I'm guessing you all also would say that Perez hitting 13 last year was probably a fluke? Just curious.
Roster lost about 60% of its home runs. About 70 from its starting lineup. You’re talking 6 of the 8 everyday starters with double digit homers. You return 2 of them. And those 2 guys were first years starters. It only gets harder to do that once opposing teams have tape. Won’t be a problem for Cyr bc he’s a guy, but IMO Perez is still a question mark overall.

The light will have to come on for multiple guys to even come close to that. It would be different if the lineup was filled with proven transfers or guys who have done it before, but it’s not. That’s a tall task for even the elite teams to reproduce, let alone our lineup which isn’t close to being elite. It’s way more than an assumption to say this team lacks power, in comparison.

Advertisement
Roster lost about 60% of its home runs. About 70 from its starting lineup. You’re talking 6 of the 8 everyday starters with double digit homers. You return 2 of them. And those 2 guys were first years starters. It only gets harder to do that once opposing teams have tape. Won’t be a problem for Cyr bc he’s a guy, but IMO Perez is still a question mark overall.

The light will have to come on for multiple guys to even come close to that. It would be different if the lineup was filled with proven transfers or guys who have done it before, but it’s not. That’s a tall task for even the elite teams to reproduce, let alone our lineup which isn’t close to being elite. It’s way more than an assumption to say this team lacks power, in comparison.
Yeah I went back and looked at the numbers I forgot that Pitelli and Levenson also had double digits last year. Carrier only had 4 I would imagine if he's healthy and plays every day he will have more and get close to double digits but who knows about Torres and Cuvet.

Advertisement
Back