1999 Hurricanes going 9-4

So Bobby Bowden understood the system, as did the fans. Thanks, Butch.

FYI, that score wasn't the result of clearing the bench with a big lead. La Tech did whatever they wanted on offense all day.

I was referring to one possible factor for FSU getting the nod, but the biggest was not factoring head to head. We were off against La. Tech. Maybe we were looking ahead to Va. Tech the following week, I don't know. Having said that we took down no. 1 and no. 2 that year. Those quality wins should have put us over the top. A few points in garbage time shouldn't have been the difference. Butch was right by making sure he kept his starters healthy and gave the young guys reps.

Advertisement
How did this happen with the team's talent?

In particular, how did the ECU loss happen? ECU lost 22-3 to UAB, which in turn lost 47-3 to Wake Forest.

Virginia Tech played Florida State for the national championship that season—and Miami played both, losing to the both, as well an eventual 10-3 Penn State team. Noles also had Heisman-winner Chris Weinke at quarterback while the Hokies had Michael Vick.

That ECU game was quirky; moved to Raleigh due to hurricane damage. Canes blew a 23-3 lead to a David Gerrard-led Pirates team who has a banner year by their standards.

I was referring to one possible factor for FSU getting the nod, but the biggest was not factoring head to head. We were off against La. Tech. Maybe we were looking ahead to Va. Tech the following week, I don't know. Having said that we took down no. 1 and no. 2 that year. Those quality wins should have put us over the top. A few points in garbage time shouldn't have been the difference. Butch was right by making sure he kept his starters healthy and gave the young guys reps.

Again, it wasn't garbage time. Louisiana Tech had almost 500 yards of offense that day. We can talk about what the computers should have considered, but ignoring what they actually did consider is what kept us out of the title game.

Again, it wasn't garbage time. Louisiana Tech had almost 500 yards of offense that day. We can talk about what the computers should have considered, but ignoring what they actually did consider is what kept us out of the title game.

You're not reading my statements correctly:

You're not reading my statements correctly:

Why didn't you bold the part about garbage time, since that is clearly what I was responding to.

Either way, my point still stands: it was that game that kept us out of the title game because of the MOV component, and La Tech being so bad.

Advertisement
Apples and oranges. I see what you're trying to do.

We lost to GT and VT, teams that were blown out by DUKE. We lost to FIU for God's sake. We have a coach that literally thinks you can attitude and swag your way to victory.

Two of the teams we lost to were in the national championship game that year and a top ranked PSU.

If only Leonard Myers didn’t slip on the turf.....

Advertisement
We we're rank 2nd in both polls at the end of the regular season. It's the Bcs BS that ***** us

Work with me here. The BCS used margin of victory. We allowed a very bad Louisiana Tech team to keep the game close. That is why we finished 3rd.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back