1997 Miami Hurricanes

Advertisement
97-98 were fun to watch that team grow, the incoming class after the UCLA win, you just knew UM was going to be great again, the OSU game in New York sealed that deal on the national stage as well. The 99 team was frustrating, we just played a tough schedule and Butch always lost a head scratcher, the @ECU loss that year was about the most heated our fan base got towards Butch until the following year's loss @Washington.

In 97, I dont think Butch cared about the win loss total so much, he knew that team was going to take their lumps and as he said "freshen got their noses bloodied a little" or something to that affect. In 98, he was a dog to the team, they were playing like garbage at Rutgers and he came in at halftime and punched a hole in the wall and told them to stop the BS, they weren't freshmen anymore and losing and playing like **** were not going to be tolerated. After 98, he brought in Moffit and fired Miller, I think he brought in another coach on defense as well,but I'd have to look that up.

The only thing that really irked me about Miami, Butch, and joining the Big East was not understanding, and we still don't it seems, is the fact that VT built their program by beating us. If we beat VT in 95, Beamer would have been fired that day and they never ever ever would have been a program to worry about ever again. It's like we thought, well last year (and the year before and the year before and the year before) were flukes. We are their cot dam super bowl and it never seems like we really understand that. And lets not forget at one time the head of the Big East officials lived in Blacksburg, and we sure would have a lot of penalties during our games with VT, I'm sure that was a coincidence.

1993 was the loss to Va Tech that saved Beamer’s job. He was 24-40-2 in his first 6 years from 1987-1992, and was very much on the hot seat in 1993. A coach with that kind of record today could never get retained for year 7 at almost any power conference program.

Last edited:
YO OLD HEADS!!!

I am a bit on the young side and its rather difficult to research online so I figured I would turn to you all. What was the buzz like around the 97 team that went 5-6? How was Butch viewed and what was the climate like with the media and among the fan base?

Much respect to you for wanting and being humble enuff to ask the question and not just start blabbing off at the mouth, but the mark richt era was similar, did you see how much venom he got from the so called UM fan base, you got people on this board right now that still wont give coach richt credit for his accomplishments in the 3 short years he was here. They saying things now like, "was winning the coastal actually that big of an accomplishment" lol. Mind you coach richt is the last headcoach to win a bowl game at UM in the last 14 years, want to talk about irrevelant, just think about it, this program has won 1 bowl game in 14 years, but they bashed coach richt from the beginning to the end as if he hurt this program, the worst part is, its not like when butch was coaching, its worst now because people have more instant access to the facts and stats with the internet, but they're even more delusional.

So just look at the guys like jock rousseau, Zion and the likes how people either bashed them or thought it was the staph doing a poor job of recruiting, so just imagine what would've been said back when butch davis brought and allowec in santana moss and ed reed who were basically in today's world "2 star to unranked) recruits. Wasnt no nerd recruiting sites handing out class rankings like today, you would just see players start developing and coming into their own. The thing that got alot of people in Miami ****ed off with butch davis was his introductory press conference where he started sounding like the outsiders and soft *** media saying he was going to change the image of Miami and this and that, we coming off being the only team celebrating and doing it like we do from the crib, alot of things that happened at UM was already happening from the neighborhoods, coach schnelly was just smart enuff to understand it needed to be at UM. Looking back,all butch davis did was keep players from celebrating to much, but he recruited the same like minded players that schnelly found out about.

So had most of the mob been around when butch was first getting started, they would've been crucifying that man, cause if you get a chance, just pull up the games before the dominant years, you would've been like, WTF is this man doing, on offense, we would run right, run left and on 3rd down run it again, get stopped and than punt. We'd be down by 10 or 14 in the 4th quarter and butch davis would still run right, run left, run right again, get stopped and punt. But what he was teaching the team was how to be a tuff minded tuff running football team, they had to earn the right to pass, once everything came together, that's when it was a thing of beauty.

**** many on here would've wanted santana moss off the team in the early years, but without all this instant access and blogs, the players had more of a chance to blossom. And like flake james, instead of the administration taking care of butch davis, and extending his contract, the a.d.at that time named paul dee tried to low ball coach davis, and than cleveland came and offered em 40million, so even though he had a press conference where he said he was staying, 40million is still 40million, plus they gave him say so over personnel decision, might've actually been in charge of that, which is still comical but he passed on clinton portis for this runningback from boston college cause he thought portis, a guy he gave a schalorship was to small for the pro level, and when portis got to denver, he was lighting the league up hisc1st 3 years, in the meantime butch got fired.

Alot history man!

Much respect to you for wanting and being humble enuff to ask the question and not just start blabbing off at the mouth, but the mark richt era was similar, did you see how much venom he got from the so called UM fan base, you got people on this board right now that still wont give coach richt credit for his accomplishments in the 3 short years he was here. They saying things now like, "was winning the coastal actually that big of an accomplishment" lol. Mind you coach richt is the last headcoach to win a bowl game at UM in the last 14 years, want to talk about irrevelant, just think about it, this program has won 1 bowl game in 14 years, but they bashed coach richt from the beginning to the end as if he hurt this program, the worst part is, its not like when butch was coaching, its worst now because people have more instant access to the facts and stats with the internet, but they're even more delusional.

So just look at the guys like jock rousseau, Zion and the likes how people either bashed them or thought it was the staph doing a poor job of recruiting, so just imagine what would've been said back when butch davis brought and allowec in santana moss and ed reed who were basically in today's world "2 star to unranked) recruits. Wasnt no nerd recruiting sites handing out class rankings like today, you would just see players start developing and coming into their own. The thing that got alot of people in Miami ****ed off with butch davis was his introductory press conference where he started sounding like the outsiders and soft *** media saying he was going to change the image of Miami and this and that, we coming off being the only team celebrating and doing it like we do from the crib, alot of things that happened at UM was already happening from the neighborhoods, coach schnelly was just smart enuff to understand it needed to be at UM. Looking back,all butch davis did was keep players from celebrating to much, but he recruited the same like minded players that schnelly found out about.

So had most of the mob been around when butch was first getting started, they would've been crucifying that man, cause if you get a chance, just pull up the games before the dominant years, you would've been like, WTF is this man doing, on offense, we would run right, run left and on 3rd down run it again, get stopped and than punt. We'd be down by 10 or 14 in the 4th quarter and butch davis would still run right, run left, run right again, get stopped and punt. But what he was teaching the team was how to be a tuff minded tuff running football team, they had to earn the right to pass, once everything came together, that's when it was a thing of beauty.

**** many on here would've wanted santana moss off the team in the early years, but without all this instant access and blogs, the players had more of a chance to blossom. And like flake james, instead of the administration taking care of butch davis, and extending his contract, the a.d.at that time named paul dee tried to low ball coach davis, and than cleveland came and offered em 40million, so even though he had a press conference where he said he was staying, 40million is still 40million, plus they gave him say so over personnel decision, might've actually been in charge of that, which is still comical but he passed on clinton portis for this runningback from boston college cause he thought portis, a guy he gave a schalorship was to small for the pro level, and when portis got to denver, he was lighting the league up hisc1st 3 years, in the meantime butch got fired.

Alot history man!

Why do you constantly create extremely long posts about how great Richt was?

2016 and 2017 really weren’t that special, except compared to the **** we’ve endured before and since then. And 2018 was just a flat out disaster in everything from on field results to recruiting to Banda and Patke being hired as co-DCs.

Richt brought us a record of 26-13, which is actually a lower win % than Larry Coker’s 25-12 in his last 3 years.

Alot history man!

Butch was a bad gameday coach, but I don’t remember him running on third and long very often.

If he did, it’s definitely not something I’m going to praise about him.

Yeah, running the ball 3 straight times when you’re down by 10 or 14 in the 4th quarter, and then punting, all to teach your team toughness? Sorry, but I have a hard time imagining any football coach being that wacky.

Advertisement
1993 was the loss to Va Tech that saved Beamer’s job. He was 24-40-2 in his first 6 years from 1987-1992, and was very much on the hot seat in 1993. A coach with that kind of record today could never get retained for year 7 at almost any power conference program.
We beat them 21-2 in 1993. We lost to WVU at the end of 93.

Why do you constantly create extremely long posts about how great Richt was?

2016 and 2017 really weren’t that special, except compared to the **** we’ve endured before and since then. And 2018 was just a flat out disaster in everything from on field results to recruiting to Banda and Patke being hired as co-DCs.

Richt brought us a record of 26-13, which is actually a lower win % than Larry Coker’s 25-12 in his last 3 years.

My man, its about time to stop talking to you, are you seriously comparing the team coach richt inherited to the teams thee incompetent one inherited from butch davis, but since you brought that point up, now go back and ask yourself who's record was more impressive in those 3 years, ill await your answer, if its trash, have a nice day man!

We beat them 21-2 in 1993. We lost to WVU at the end of 93.

I didn’t start following football until 1996 so I didn’t really know the game by game results of the 1993 season, other than that we went 9-3 and it was considered a disappointment.

Anyway, Beamer went 9-3 in 1993 and 8-4 in 1994, so I think he was off the hot seat by 1995. I assumed you were getting the 1993 and 1995 seasons mixed up because it’s pretty well known that Beamer was on the hot seat in 1993, and most of the Va Tech fanbase had wanted him fired after 1992.

Butch was a bad gameday coach, but I don’t remember him running on third and long very often.

If he did, it’s definitely not something I’m going to praise about him.

Yeah, running the ball 3 straight times when you’re down by 10 or 14 in the 4th quarter, and then punting, all to teach your team toughness? Sorry, but I have a hard time imagining any football coach being that wacky.

Well if you're having "a hard time imagining" its simply because you must've just started watching UM football ball, cause if you watched the early games when butch got here, you would know! It was a reason why coach davis did it that way, if you watched the games and understood UM football, you'd know the answer to why!

Advertisement
My man, its about time to stop talking to you, are you seriously comparing the team coach richt inherited to the teams thee incompetent one inherited from butch davis, but since you brought that point up, now go back and ask yourself who's record was more impressive in those 3 years, ill await your answer, if its trash, have a nice day man!

2004-2006 were the 3 teams Coker had without Butch’s players.

The 25-12 for Coker vs 26-13 for Richt is an extremely valid comparison.

Coker’s record from 04-06 wasn’t skewed by Butch Davis recruits.

You didnt answer the question and if you think its valid, i see why you not answering the quesstion!

Advertisement
YO OLD HEADS!!!

I am a bit on the young side and its rather difficult to research online so I figured I would turn to you all. What was the buzz like around the 97 team that went 5-6? How was Butch viewed and what was the climate like with the media and among the fan base?
Banner planes were flown in Butches honor calling for his head. We got embarrassed by FSU. Sure, we were on probation and I think that fact saved Butch and bought him more time with the Admin

The summer before the 99 season, Bowden said he hardly had to coach anymore, because if you have the fastest horses, you're going to win the dog-gone race. He was shocked, as were their fans, after we gave them a scare in 99. I was sitting surrounded by FSU fans, and they kept asking me, "Is that guy a senior?" They were very uncomfortable when I told them "freshman" and "sophomore" over and over. They were nice about it, but they were shocked. They all saw the writing on the wall, and they didn't like what it said.

By the time Bowden realized what was going on, it was too late. He'd win the title in 99, but he saw that he had slept on Miami, and it was going to bite him hard.
I don't think Bobby slept on Miami. That 2000 game when we finally broke through for the win was a tight game and one of the greatest games in the rivalry.

Advertisement
Ah...when I first started watching the Miami Hurricanes; in 1997.

We were grey shirting guys, having guys on track scholarships, baseball scholarships play football. Butch Davis was not the answer (yet), and FSU beat the **** out of us (that was the first Miami Hurricane game I watched, by the way).

However, those guys had a lot of guts and a lot of heart. That '97 team would have last years team crying home to their mommas.

It was a massively chaotic team. At times they looked downright outmanned and outmatched; and other times it looked like they could play with anyone.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. No banners ever flew... Butch would have been skewered on this board and social media if it existed at the time.

He ended up being one of the greats here, but lets stop rewriting the story and that everyone knew he would turn it around before he did

Advertisement
Back