1986 OU vs. Miami (Bye, Bye, Bosworth)

Advertisement
tenor.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
I was there. I remember it vividly. I also remember a few Fins games at OB where the refs basically stopped the game because it was too loud.

Like every other stupid rule the crap with crowd noise was all about us. The west end noise started with the the Fins in the early seventies where opposing QBs cried themselves to death. The Cane crowds took it to unbeleivable heights. I don’t think even the domed places are any louder than the west end zone. Anyone who denies that we were the best fans anywhere never was in the OB back then.

Like every other stupid rule the crap with crowd noise was all about us. The west end noise started with the the Fins in the early seventies where opposing QBs cried themselves to death. The Cane crowds took it to unbeleivable heights. I don’t think even the domed places are any louder than the west end zone. Anyone who denies that we were the best fans anywhere never was in the OB back then.
No question about it!!

Advertisement
What little research I did on the matter, they officially removed the crowd noise rule in 2006.

Thank goodness, what a stupid rule that is.

The OB was literally a program killer for opposing schools. It was basically the Roman Colosseum and 75,000 screaming Canes fans were pointing their thumbs down to signal they wanted death.
Epic and we still hold the NCAA record for home winning streak. A decade without a home loss...ponder that.

Advertisement
What stands out:
On offense: Great pass protection and Vinnie’s two amazing scrambles.
On defense: Danny Stubbs and George Mira Jr.

Note...it was harder to watch a game back then cause there was no clock always on the bottom of the screen.

I have a quick question for the older gentlemen on here; when did they change the rules concerning crowd noise? After that 'inadvertant whistle', that charged up the West End Zone. Holy cow.

Unbelievable game, my freshman year at UM. Got 2 of my UF friends into the student section by "reusing" the UM student ID (one of my friend's parents had gone to OU). Drunk as ****, bench seating in the student section, effigies of Bosworth hung from the upper deck, and I was wearing my orange "[middle finger] OU & The Boz" t-shirt that someone was selling door-to-door in Eaton (later stolen out of my laundry machine).

Good times.

Advertisement
Back