1985 All-Dade Defense (Randal Hill and Willie Peguese)

Barboni

Junior
Pic is from a Facebook page called: "Ghosts of the Orange Bowl."

18555856_1569167453117424_1021630087328331596_n.jpg

Members of the 1985 Miami Herald All Dade County Defense pose for a photo at Miami's Metro Zoo. Among those in the photo are Southridge linebacker Willis Peguese (#51 in the back row) and Killian junior defensive back Randal Hill (#23 in the green jersey in the front row). Both players went on to star at the University of Miami.

Willis Peguese did not start playing organized football until his junior year of high school. His mother was afraid he would get hurt. Little did she know it was her son who would deliver the pain. At 6'3 and 230 pounds, Peguese was a physically imposing presence. He quickly went from a guy who didn't know how to line up correctly into the most sought after high school player in Florida in just one year. By the end of his senior year, Peguese was named Prep All American and Gatorade Florida Player of the Year.

Highly recruited, Peguese chose the University of Miami over Florida State. In 1986, he became the only true freshman to see action for the Canes. Peguese saw his first significant action as the team's long snapper in 1987. But in his first game against the University of Florida, the nervous and pumped up sophomore twice snapped the ball over the head of his punter Jeff Feagles. Both plays resulted in safeties. Fortunately, the Canes won 31-4 and Peguese could laugh about it after the game. By his junior year, Peguese rotated with Shane Curry to form a devastating duo of defensive ends to complete a dominating defensive line that included Greg Mark, Russell Maryland and Cortez Kennedy. From 1986 to 1989, Peguese was part of 2 national championship teams at UM and never lost a game at the Orange Bowl.

Peguese went on to get drafted in the third round by the Houston Oilers in 1990. He played 4 seasons in the NFL with the Oilers and Colts from 1990 to 1993. He currently runs his own limousine and security service in Miami called Pro Player Protection Group LLC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I love any stroll down memory lane posts from MDC high school football. As a kid, I loved the All-Dade editions of the Herald. I don't remember thrill hill as a db. I've always remember him as a receiver even at Killian. But my memory obviously sucks.

I played with HIll, Paul Moore who wen to FSU and he played DB. Hill couldn't catch when the DB were practicing interception returns. We were ranked #1 in 86 and lost to some sub par teams that year, but we did beat Bradenton Manatee who were ranked #1 in the middle of the season and the Ridge! Such an over achieving team that year. blah!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back