1982 #14 Florida State vs #16 Miami (Richt starting QB)

Ol' DBJ looks about 200lbs heavier there. Great find but any of these old tapes from the OB still make me sad. That said, it'd be awesome to hear commentary of Kaaya and Richt watching this together.

Who's DBJ? I hate it when people around here use initials. I don't also remember the names that readily. When you've seen more history, known more names, it's hard to find the name in my mental database.

I'd have no interest in hearing commentary from Kaaya and Richt on these old games. I think there is very little to be learned from those old games. Everything was different, the defenses, etc. Richt was mediocre as a backup. I'm still waiting to see what this guy does at Miami. He still needs to attain redemption for his sins, like the suspension and the years with our enemy. I'm hopeful he will turn over a new leaf.

Advertisement
Ol' DBJ looks about 200lbs heavier there. Great find but any of these old tapes from the OB still make me sad. That said, it'd be awesome to hear commentary of Kaaya and Richt watching this together.

Who's DBJ? I hate it when people around here use initials. I don't also remember the names that readily. When you've seen more history, known more names, it's hard to find the name in my mental database.

I'd have no interest in hearing commentary from Kaaya and Richt on these old games. I think there is very little to be learned from those old games. Everything was different, the defenses, etc. Richt was mediocre as a backup. I'm still waiting to see what this guy does at Miami. He still needs to attain redemption for his sins, like the suspension and the years with our enemy. I'm hopeful he will turn over a new leaf.

Hahaha. Since that reads like a salty old man response (and I can always respect that) I'll humor you. DBJ is Don Bailey Jr. and the suggested Richt/Kaaya bonus DVD audio extra would just be interesting almost from a comedic angle and not one designed to focus that much on x's and o's in relation to today's game.

I think Vinnie actually played that year and only Bernie got the shirt. I think Vinnie got a shirt the next year. Good to know that Mark owes noles for that one, and ND.

Yes. Richt was suspended for next game at MD and Kyle Vandewende started. Vinnie was backup and came in for a series. We lost close one as I remember in College Park to Boomer Esiason and Terps.
Car rental?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No, nothing that serious. Some kind of "dorm incident" as I remember, and it was never made public what it was. I think it was probably pretty minor, compared to the stuff we're seeing now. Richt was reinstated after the Maryland game but I think Schnelly had Vandewende starting for the rest of the season. We did not have a bowl game that year.

A rather disappointing year. Kelly went down with the shoulder dislocation in the first or second game of the year. It was in Blacksburg. He was a darkhorse candidate for the Heisman. There were better known QBs around the country that year, like Dan Marino and Elway. We had come off a very good year in '81 and were playing some of the best football in the country that year. Looking back on those teams, very few guys from the early '80's could play now. Look at those lumbering RBs, like Speedy Neal, a HS A-A. Mark Rush was OK, known for being able to leap the LOS on goal line situations. The best RB was probably Albert Bentley, as he began to prove in '83 and after he went to the USFL where he rushed for 1000 yards. He was a walkon who came to practice on his bicycle (no fancy exotic cars back then) and they tried to send him away. He persisted and became a very good back. The kids were tough, played hard, but nowhere near the size and athletic ability of kids now. Not that we should expect them to have been.

Notice that the defense would not have satisfied current fans. It was the old Okie 5-2, a passive reading defense. It was changed two years later when Jimmy Johnson arrived on the scene.

I think we should appoint you official historian of all things old Cane. Good stuff. I recall Howard's 5-2 being a little more aggressive. Who was the beast lineman he had -- Lester Williams? Wasn't there something NCAA Bowl ban the year before? Howard not appealing it so Kelly would have shot in senior year of taking them to the NC? Getting old and it is fuzzy.

There are probably a lot more old fans here than you would suspect. I became a fan in 1951. By the mid-50s I attended almost every event that was held at the OB (I lived in that neighborhood). Much of what we experienced is ignored or forgotten. For instance, heat really wasn't a problem at the OB in those days Almost all games were played on Friday nights. Day games were almost always played very late in the season. The exception being a very rare TV game. TV pretty much brought an end to the Friday night tradition. Also, Miami was one of the very last teams to start and finish the season.

[MENTION=2335]TheMatador[/MENTION] has such a wealth of UM historical information.

Thanks as always, Matador!!

Advertisement
VanDERwende.

Whatever. I thought he had some decent potential from what I saw at UMD. We almost won an away game, and MD had an experienced starting QB who later played in the NFL, Esiason. He quit the next year when Schnelly named Kosar the starter, despite the fact Vanderwende was a returning starter. He had a tryout with the Dolphins and quit there too despite the fact Shula said he didn't look bad in practices. Just didn't have a burning desire to play football anymore, i guess.

I know, just a typo/oversight. It really bugs me that so many of our fans don't know/care enough to get players' names right.

/not you

There are probably a lot more old fans here than you would suspect. I became a fan in 1951. By the mid-50s I attended almost every event that was held at the OB (I lived in that neighborhood). Much of what we experienced is ignored or forgotten. For instance, heat really wasn't a problem at the OB in those days Almost all games were played on Friday nights. Day games were almost always played very late in the season. The exception being a very rare TV game. TV pretty much brought an end to the Friday night tradition. Also, Miami was one of the very last teams to start and finish the season.

Yes, you are right. KO time at 8:15 pm, every Friday night. Remember as a kid walking up those ramps, the ones that spiraled up on the outside of the stadium? I loved the atmosphere, I always smelled a lot of cigar smoke while walking up the ramps, and it seemed like it took forever to get up to the section where we would sit. I guess cigars were much more widely smoked back in those days. It was always nice on those evenings, never too hot and never cold. Still, it was always very hot for the visiting teams, usually from up north. I remember talking back in the late '80's to a former player, Bruce Brinkos, an OL in the early '60s. He told me what it was like to play in the OB even at night, and how by the end of the 3rd, beginning of the 4th, the visiting teams were soaked in sweat, sucking air, and just wishing they could get out of there. That was the night before the huge Notre Dame game in the OB in 1989, one we won on our way to our 3rd NC. He was telling me how tough it would be for ND playing in that stadium, even in November, even at night.

He was right. That was one of the biggest games in UM history. I remember a picture of Steve McGuire on the SI cover.

I just wish I could have gone to more games in that great old stadium. I didn't live that close, and I was too young to go to games myself. My father gradually stopped going for some reason. We moved from south Florida in late '63 to central Florida. The next time we went to a UM game was in Gainesville in '64. Mira had moved on and Bob Biletnikoff was our QB.We had guys like Russ Smith at RB and Pete Banaszak at FB. (Fullback, not Facebook. I know fullback is now a less familiar position, although I guess we're bringing it back, thank God!)

I think the next time I went to a UM game was probably during the '86 season. It was probably UM at Morgantown. So, I did not get to go to a game of my beloved team for over 20 years. I started going mostly to some away games since I lived up north, but also got down to Miami from time to time. I really don't know if I want to go to anymore home games because being an oldtimer, I will not be able to get over grieving the death of the Orange Bowl.

Hahaha. Since that reads like a salty old man response (and I can always respect that) I'll humor you. DBJ is Don Bailey Jr. and the suggested Richt/Kaaya bonus DVD audio extra would just be interesting almost from a comedic angle and not one designed to focus that much on x's and o's in relation to today's game.

Oh, that's right! Don Bailey! One of the youngsters who played in the early '80's, like Kehoe, and Tony Chickillo (the dad) and Mark Richt. Bunch of schoolboys.

You can't expect me to remember the little kids.

And it's fun being salty and old! Life's pretty much a blast, except when my back begins to act up!

So, this kid, Bailey, he does the radio announcing? I miss Sonny Hirsch, and have always advocated digging him up, putting him upright in a chair in the booth, and hiring a ventriloquist so he could continue to do play-by-play. I guess I heard somewhere that Bailey and this guy Zagacki were doing radio. Is that still true?

[MENTION=2335]TheMatador[/MENTION] has such a wealth of UM historical information.

Thanks as always, Matador!!

Thank you. Actually, there was a guy perhaps 10-15 years ago on Grassy, MiamiJoeCanesExpert, I think he called himself, who knew much more trivia about UM football than I ever could. I know some of the broader details, but he could ask questions about the minutae. Used to drive me nuts how much stuff I didn't really know or had forgotten. He used to post quizzes on Grassy. I don't know what happened to him. Maybe he got tired of it. Or maybe he just died.

Of course you oldtimers saw the other thread about the passing of Hubbard Alexander, an integral part of our rise in the '80's, serving on Schnelly's and Johnson's staffs. He was probably the TE coach on the team in this '82 FSU game.

Advertisement
I don't know if this was the game, or perhaps the one next year, when Tony Fitzpatrick complained afterwards about the illegal blocking practiced by FSU throughout the game. (I think it was this one). He said they were leg-whipping throughout the game, and it was "surprising there were not 19 knee injuries."

Tony would have been our undersized nose guard who started, I'm pretty sure, in both '82 and '83. I think in '81, Tony Chickillo started at the nose. I guess Tony moved to DT in '82. We had some good DTs in '81, Bob "Fuzzy" Nelson and Lester Williams. A big kid from Silver Spring, MD., Leon Evans, was supposed to start at one of the DT positions in '82 but I think he quit the team for some reason.

Believe me, when you think about the talent that came along later, perhaps starting in the late '80's and later, was so much better than the early '80's talent, especialy on defense. So much faster and much more athletic. Lester Williams was a premier HS recruit, but never became a great pro or anything. We started to get kids like Jerome Brown, Sapp, and others at DL. Even some kids who were not highly touted developed into excellent ballplayers, like Kevin ***an. We really started to get great LBs in the late '80's, early '90's, with the Bermuda Triangle, then Ray Lewis, and down the line. Now, we almost always have an exceptional LB. Can you compare that to the guys playing in the '82 FSU game?

So cool to hear the stories of the old teams. I was just a toddler in 1982 and anything I know prior to the late 80's is just stuff that I've read or my dad told me about. Thanks for sharing the video and the old timer info.

After a particularly vicious sack, Richt got knocked on the head and had a vision - a vision of the Triangle Read...which is what makes the shallow crossing concept possible...

Now if we can get this offense up to 88 plays per game we might just have a chance...

On-campus stadium? Where we're going we don't need...on-campus stadiums...

(These Back to the Future analogies doing anything for anybody? No? I'll stop now.)

Great Scott.

That's heavy, Doc.

Advertisement
Back