15 Seasons...

Silver King

Pass Block
...since The Curse of the Orange Bowl kicked in.

The timing of the anniversary and the Pinstripe Bowl seemed like an appropriate time to check in with The Curse of the Orange Bowl for some reflection.

Naturally,The Curse of the Orange Bowl immediately references history.

Thanks for having me. First of all, let me say that last night was a shining example of what Miami could have done. What New York did with Yankee Stadium was a respectful way to upgrade but keep the historical location and integrity of the second most famous stadium in America. But no, not freaking Miami's mayor; just tear it down and push it to the curb like so much garbage on Calle Ocho after a Latin Music Festival. His son's hire was a fun twist, and my own little nod to history.

Next, I asked about the performance of the curse for these first 15 years:

I think the word that best describes it is consistency. It's been a consistent performance, and I'm proud of that, averaging about 7 wins a season with a fade factor of -3. The fade factor is calculation based on what the fan base predicts and what the coaches and talent actually provide. As an example, a 10-win predicted season and a 7-win actual season equals a Fade Factor of -3. And not to toot my own horn, but nothing reveals a solid curse culture like a team mired in mediocrity. Particularly with some of the recruiting classes they brought in. But fade factor is the culture in curse land. And a quick trivia question, who was president last time Miami won a bowl game?

I'm very grateful for you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Is there anything else you'd like to add?

Yeah, I think so. That last game, the Hurricanes sent me off with. I may have been a bit more charitable to the city I put on the map with the greatest ever NFL and NCAA teams, had you sent me off with a little more respect. I feel **** bad for The Rock too, handing that Shalala chick a million-dollar check (How the **** could old #94 not smell what she was cooking?) and then having to grin and bear it as Virginia desecrated my holy sanctum. And not trying to be smart, but did Coach Shannon ever learn that the TE is an eligible receiver and not another O-lineman? Wasn't he supposed to have been a defensive guy?

Anyway, chin-up we may have a long run together. And, you Fin fans, stick around; I'm cooking something up for you real soon.

Sincerely,

-
CoOB

Attachments

• Orange Bowl.jpg
    Orange Bowl.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0
Advertisement
The actual demise of the City of Miami owned Orange Bowl happened several years earlier when Joe Robbie, owner of the Miami Dolphins, finally gave the 🖕to the city and decided to build his own stadium - now Hard Rock Stadium.

After years of literally begging the City of Miami to upgrade the Grand Old Lady with all of his efforts falling on deaf ears, he had no choice but to build a new stadium that was up to NFL standards.

The Orange Bowl was subsidized by the City of Miami from its inception. It was never a money maker even during the glory years of the Canes and the Dolphins. The OB staff continually tried to come up with ways to make the stadium self sufficient. High school games, concerts, and other events were held in the stadium to try and reduce the costs the City had to bear.

As the Orange Bowl aged, maintenance costs soared to the point where only major renovations would keep it viable. There was no way the City of Miami was going to come up with the $$$ to make the necessary renovations and Joe Robbie wasn’t inclined to make a major investment in an aging stadium.

It was truly a sad day to see the Grand Old Lady demolished. To suggest that the last 2 decades of futility by the Miami Hurricanes football team is due to a curse from the demise of the Orange Bowl is a bit of a stretch. We all know that there are many factors that have contributed to the mediocrity we’ve seen from the Canes football team lest of which is the demise of the OB.

The actual demise of the City of Miami owned Orange Bowl happened several years earlier when Joe Robbie, owner of the Miami Dolphins, finally gave the 🖕to the city and decided to build his own stadium - now Hard Rock Stadium...To suggest that the last 2 decades of futility by the Miami Hurricanes football team is due to a curse from the demise of the Orange Bowl is a bit of a stretch. We all know that there are many factors that have contributed to the mediocrity we’ve seen from the Canes football team lest of which is the demise of the OB.
I believe you were under the impression The Curse of the Orange Bowl only pertained to the Hurricanes. That's why The Curse of the Orange Bowl cooked up a little something for those fins.

No, sir, it was bestowed upon the Dolphins too. (I know, I know; even without me, that front office has been a curse all by itself—had Dan Marino for 15 years and had the same amount of Super Bowl appearances as Prince. And there's a office that AI can't arrive fast enough for.

Some may even argue that the Dolphins, given our history together, are even more deserving since they're still the only undefeated NFL team from start to finish and still cast me aside. It's been so long, partisan NCAA fans have forgotten the great Canes teams of the OB, and now argue their particular team as the greatest ever.

Till next year, same time, same season, likely same frustrations. Although I'm starting to tire, even a curse has limits.

Sincerely,

-
CoOB

The downfall started before the curse of the Orange Bowl. This program fell apart following the 40-3 shellacking LSU put on us in the Peach Bowl...and to think we actually led 3-0. We've been in a downward spiral since then. ****, we lost to UVA 48-0 in the last game played at the OB...

Advertisement
Don't tell anyone but outside of a relatively short time period 83-2002, Miami has always been a 7 win program. ****, 7 wins would have been a big deal in the 1970's while playing in an empty Orange Bowl.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back