13 year old gives up scholarship.

pacusmc

All American
I ran across this article after I saw a soccer training video for youth soccer players.
The video stated that the 10 year old featured in the video is a “Nike athlete” from overseas.

This made wonder: if Nike is signing soccer players as young as 10 cause of potential; then why are they not doing the same thing here?
Not illegally like the aau sht.

I figured that once they turn pro they can’t play for a school due to their professional status.

However, the article states that this 13 year old soccer player signed with Nike and will attend unc but will have to pay here own way and not receive a scholarship because of her professional status.

Considering Nike seems to be way more aggressive with marketing and targeting young athletes it would place us, being an adidas school, at a disadvantage.

A player like Stewart (22 class) or Ennis (23 class) are arguably “can’t miss” prospects. What’s to say some shoe company offers this options to these players?
How would it affect IC’s.

Edit: she won’t play for UNC.

But will the NiL rule allow players to still play while signed to a shoe company.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Well come July, Nike could pay any Miami play for the use of their likeness and the player should not have to give up their ship. Now if a player wants to play for free, they could do so and only count against the 118 player limit for FBS teams. Not much different than a walk-on at that point. There would be very few players that would be willing to pay for a Miami degree just to improve the team.

Well come July, Nike could pay any Miami play for the use of their likeness and the player should not have to give up their ship. Now if a player wants to play for free, they could do so and only count against the 118 player limit for FBS teams. Not much different than a walk-on at that point. There would be very few players that would be willing to pay for a Miami degree just to improve the team.
Professional woman soccer pays pennies. If that 13-year-old girl gave up a full ride to UNC as an out-of-state student I guarantee you that Nike contract is easily at least high six figures. We’re not talking about AAU money breaking off a kid 5K and some Nike gear or even 15 or 20 K. At 13 years old she’s likely the best soccer player in the world at her age group and it’s not even close. Just pull up her IG she’s totally dominating older women in her sport.

Professional woman soccer pays pennies. If that 13-year-old girl gave up a full ride to UNC as an out-of-state student I guarantee you that Nike contract is easily at least high six figures. We’re not talking about AAU money breaking off a kid 5K and some Nike gear or even 15 or 20 K. At 13 years old she’s likely the best soccer player in the world at her age group and it’s not even close. Just pull up her IG she’s totally dominating older women in her sport.

My point still stands. One 13 year old making six figures doesn't mean you'll find 30 kids to attend Miami as walk-ons simply because they are going to make $100-500k/yr. Sure there could be a few here and there. Heck, we've had walk-ons help us win before. It is not going to materially change the game because the issue is getting all 85 kids paid enough to pass up on Ole Uncle Nick's dodger.

My point still stands. One 13 year old making six figures doesn't mean you'll find 30 kids to attend Miami as walk-ons simply because they are going to make $100-500k/yr. Sure there could be a few here and there. Heck, we've had walk-ons help us win before. It is not going to materially change the game because the issue is getting all 85 kids paid enough to pass up on Ole Uncle Nick's dodger.
Not arguing with you brother.
My point is maybe a few kids a year nationwide would qualify to sign a contract like that. Im just trying to get ahead of other schools and states also allowing NIL. If a kid wants to sign for lets say 30k a year with nike (chump change for a company like that) and adidas isn't doing it.
Will adidas allow a Nike sponsored player play for UM or will Nike allow a player to sign with a adidas school and vice versa. They might, but in no way are they gonna let them play on national TV with another companies kicks.

Christian Ronaldo is easily one of the top 3 highest paid athletes in the world and wears Nike shoes while playing for Juventus who has adidas plastered on everything and all over their home field.
Now obviously Ronaldo has leverage. But this happens with other players who aren't as talented.
I really hope our athletic department, coach Diaz and adidas are keeping a close eye on this. We already have to deal with schools that have a huge amount of funding behind them. If Nike starts singing talent legally down here it would be another mountain to climb imo.

USA soccer is sponsored by Nike and they're the ones who were smart enough or willing to take on the risk in signing that girl. Where TF was adidas? Look at how aggressively they are marketing here. They have a dam video billboard somewhere next to freeway of her on loop 24/7.
Im an adidas fan and a Nike fan.
But i guarantee you Nike is basically waiting on the green light to start spraying cash all over sofla. And I guarantee you that the in that contract is going to be language about competing companies and what you can and can't do.

Advertisement
it wouldn't work the same. in soccer there's no emphasis on going through college as a path to the pros. in the case of this girl she will probably end up at an academy until she is ready to go pro. there is not 1 highly regarded soccer player that has played in college you can pretty much turn pro at any time you are good enough although you cant sign a full professional contract until 18. in the football we know you are pushed into going through college to get to the NFL

Serious question. Most of you are too young to remember Bob Hayes (World record sprinter in Tokyo Olympics, 1964 and won a SB with Cowboys). Not many around like him in football, but what would NIL do to to a college athlete's amateur standing if he or she was Olympic caliber in another sport?

There's Soccer, Basketball, etc.

I ran across this article after I saw a soccer training video for youth soccer players.
The video stated that the 10 year old featured in the video is a “Nike athlete” from overseas.

This made wonder: if Nike is signing soccer players as young as 10 cause of potential; then why are they not doing the same thing here?
Not illegally like the aau sht.

I figured that once they turn pro they can’t play for a school due to their professional status.

However, the article states that this 13 year old soccer player signed with Nike and will attend unc but will have to pay here own way and not receive a scholarship because of her professional status.

Considering Nike seems to be way more aggressive with marketing and targeting young athletes it would place us, being an adidas school, at a disadvantage.

A player like Stewart (22 class) or Ennis (23 class) are arguably “can’t miss” prospects. What’s to say some shoe company offers this options to these players?
How would it affect IC’s.

Edit: she won’t play for UNC.

But will the NiL rule allow players to still play while signed to a shoe company.

I am pretty sure she is already pro... she just cant play in the games yet, but practices with the team.

Serious question. Most of you are too young to remember Bob Hayes (World record sprinter in Tokyo Olympics, 1964 and won a SB with Cowboys). Not many around like him in football, but what would NIL do to to a college athlete's amateur standing if he or she was Olympic caliber in another sport?

There's Soccer, Basketball, etc.

Hayes played a football season after the Olympics. Getting endorsements & competing in the Olympics doesn't effect your amateur status, for a more recent example see Erriyon Knighton

Advertisement
Hayes played a football season after the Olympics. Getting endorsements & competing in the Olympics doesn't effect your amateur status, for a more recent example see Erriyon Knighton
Maybe now you can but Jeremy Bloom had his athletic scholarship to play football at Colorado taken away because he was an Olympic skier with sponsors.

Maybe now you can but Jeremy Bloom had his athletic scholarship to play football at Colorado taken away because he was an Olympic skier with sponsors.

Oh yeah I left that part out, Hayes couldn't take endorsements as a College athlete.

But here's the thing I could never understand about the Bloom case, wasn't most of the sponsorship money used for training?...I would assume that training for the Olympics, particularly in skiing, ain't cheap.

Oh yeah I left that part out, Hayes couldn't take endorsements as a College athlete.

But here's the thing I could never understand about the Bloom case, wasn't most of the sponsorship money used for training?...I would assume that training for the Olympics, particularly in skiing, ain't cheap.
He got royally screwed and has been leading the charge for NCAA reform since. Not only was he not allowed to accept sponsorship money, he wasn’t supposed to even use the gear his sponsors gave him for skiing.

Hayse played pre-integration HS ball for Gilbert High when they won the FHSAA's "black school state championship." Got a scholarship to Florida A&M for football where he also participated in track, long before the NFL & Olympics.

I was curious if someone were like him today - a college athlete who gets in on NIL , if it effects his or her Amateur Status in the Olympics. Thanks

Advertisement
Hayse played pre-integration HS ball for Gilbert High when they won the FHSAA's "black school state championship." Got a scholarship to Florida A&M for football where he also participated in track, long before the NFL & Olympics.

I was curious if someone were like him today - a college athlete who gets in on NIL , if it effects his or her Amateur Status in the Olympics. Thanks

Hayes was insane on the track, read where He ran a hand timed 8.9 in the anchor leg the of 64' Olympics...some had Him clocked at 8.5 LOL.

He got royally screwed and has been leading the charge for NCAA reform since. Not only was he not allowed to accept sponsorship money, he wasn’t supposed to even use the gear his sponsors gave him for skiing.
Yeah, he got screwed. I also recall, maybe incorrectly, he competed for prize money as well. This was a big issue.

Advertisement
Back