13 scholars players next season and beyond per Coach L (He has learned his lesson from the FBI investigation).

1. The freshman coming in is a better talent so Mack gets passed. McGusty passes him as soon as he is eligible. I'm hoping Mack can give us a solid 8 to 10 minutes per game next year.
  2. Well, he will be a redshirt junior so if he is in shape he should contribute. Larranaga has a good reput for getting some quality minutes out of late blooming big guys. We need the kid to give us 10 to 15 minutes per game without being a liability on the court. Hard to be optimistic.

As for (#1), I don’t see how Mack gets that time based on what we saw. Keep in mind he left HS 2 years ago. Combine that with DJ, McGusty and potential transfer/recruit, I have trouble seeing how Mack will get the burn.

As for (#2), my concern is not just how unathletic Miller is but how much better Gak was this past season in his fewer opportunities. In Gak’s first game for us he showed more potential than at any point in the Miller tenure. Keep in mind Gak too was not in shape for this level and had less experience at UM. I think it is quite telling how Miller is redshirtting at this point and it isn’t because of an injury.

On a side note: does anyone have any quote/article from before the season that Miller was going go redshirt?

Advertisement
Pentagon Cane and Consigliere

If you don't mind, I would like to join in on the conversation.

1. McGusty was a top 50 recruit coming out of high school so he should be a starter next season. He started at Oklahoma but he could not get any shots due to Trae Young. Mack is a solid role player as a freshman and he should improve in the years to come. Mack provides depth.

2. Use all 13 scholarships and play 10 guys every game. Try to play all 13 even if it is only for 5 minutes. Speed up the pace and use more trapping defenses to create extra possessions. The 13th scholarship player will probably be a redshirt player which is fine.

3. Rodney Miller always needed to redshirt but because of poor roster management, he has not taken advantage of a redshirt year. With more strength and better conditioning, he should be a solid role player next season. I would still sign one or two grad transfer bigs to help him development as Rodney needs competition to get better.

Pentagon Cane and Consigliere

If you don't mind, I would like to join in on the conversation.

1. McGusty was a top 50 recruit coming out of high school so he should be a starter next season. He started at Oklahoma but he could not get any shots due to Trae Young. Mack is a solid role player as a freshman and he should improve in the years to come. Mack provides depth.

2. Use all 13 scholarships and play 10 guys every game. Try to play all 13 even if it is only for 5 minutes. Speed up the pace and use more trapping defenses to create extra possessions. The 13th scholarship player will probably be a redshirt player which is fine.

3. Rodney Miller always needed to redshirt but because of poor roster management, he has not taken advantage of a redshirt year. With more strength and better conditioning, he should be a solid role player next season. I would still sign one or two grad transfer bigs to help him development as Rodney needs competition to get better.

As for Miller, do you (or does anyone) have any quote/article from before the season that Miller was going go redshirt?

I am just curious.

Above link is Coach L on media day before start of current season discussing the redshirting decision. An excerpt follows:

Advertisement
Sounds like this would be the ideal depth chart, if the roster fills out as Coach L described:

C: (Grad Transfer), Miller, Gak
PF: Waardenburg, Walker
SF: McGusty, (Recruit: Enaruna?)
SG: Dejan, Mack, (Recruit: Beverly?)
PG: Lykes, Wong

8 man rotation would probably be: L.ykes, Dejan, McGusty, Waardenburg, Wong, Miller/Gak, Walker, and whoever the grad transfer big man is.

Wonder what that **** bird Emmert do to trash our next season? Or will that effing dog pile just be satisfied with keeping Martell on the shelf so our football team will suffer?

Advertisement
BUMP

Unless we sign a TON of transfers or convince all of our seniors to stay, it doesn't appear Coach L has learned his lesson.

Advertisement
Back