13 scholars players next season and beyond per Coach L (He has learned his lesson from the FBI investigation).

Da_Lucky_One

All ACC

Larranaga explains needs for future of the Hurricanes

The Miami Hurricanes have endured their worst season in 12 years. With the regular season finale on Friday (7:00 p.m., ESPN2) at No. 15 Virginia Tech ahead of the ACC Tournament, which begins March 12, the season is nearing completion. Barring a late-season surge the Hurricanes (13-16, 5-12 ACC) will finish with its first losing season under head coach Jim Larranaga and the first since the 2006-07 team went 12-20. Larranaga and his staff have been working to build a brighter future, but still have work to do. Miami has signed two players in Monsignor-Bonner (Pa.) four-star guard Isaiah Wong and Brewster Academy (N.H.) three-star forward Anthony Walker with three scholarships still available. The staff has been looking to add Montverde Academy (Fla.) four-star guard Harlond Beverly and Wasatch Academy (Utah) four-star small forward Tristan Enaruna to the mix. “We are very, very actively pursuing a couple more high school kids and that would be a tremendous if we could get two more guys from the high school ranks and have four freshmen—a nice, solid base to build on, a good foundation,” Larranaga said. There is only one other 2019 uncommitted prospect who has a Miami offer and has not ruled out the Hurricanes and that is five-star guard Cole Anthony, who has UM in his final six, but has yet to schedule a visit to Coral Gables.

Miami will also be looking to add players in the transfer market after the season as Larranaga stated they would like to add two more transfers bringing the total to four preferred additions when they only have three scholarships available. The extra spot could open up if Willie Herenton relinquishes his after the former walk-on received one this year or if someone else leaves the program after the season. “In addition to (hoping to add two more high school players) to build for next year we would still like to get a transfer or two—somebody who would be eligible right away, someone who would kind of fill the Zach Johnson role,” Larranaga said. “We have had a couple of guys like that in Joe Thomas and Donnavan Kirk and we would like to get someone like that. In addition to that we would like to get a transfer that sits out and really learns our system so when they become eligible they’re really ready to contribute.”

As it stands, the 2019-20 Hurricanes would feature guard Chris Lykes in his junior season after a breakout sophomore campaign averaging over 16 points a game as the team’s leading scorer. Guard Dejan Vasiljevic would be the lone senior on the roster. Lykes would be one of five juniors along with forward Sam Waardenburg, center Rodney Miller, guard Kameron McGusty, and Herenton. McGusty, a transfer from Oklahoma, has been impressing throughout the season in practices while sitting out due to NCAA transfer rules. “He’s doing an absolute great job,” Larranaga said. “He’s going to be an tremendous player for us next season.” Miller has been a hot topic of conversation since the beginning of the season when Larranaga announced the 7-footer would be redshirting after playing sparingly in his first two years at Miami and then sticking with the plan even with the team being short-handed, particularly in the front-court. “He’s a skilled big guy,” Larranaga said. “He’s got a great right and left-handed hook. His biggest challenge is conditioning and he’s lost about 30 pounds. He’s coming from about 280 to just under 250. He’s getting stronger. Casey Cathrall, our strength coach, is doing a great job with him. So this is a very good redshirt year for Rodney. We would have loved to have had him playing once Dewan was not declared to be eligible, but it works very well for Rodney to have sat out this year, learn as much as he’s learning, and improve as much as he has improved and be a major contributor next year more than likely in our starting lineup.”

The first look at the 2019-20 Hurricanes will come earlier than usual this year as the team has scheduled four exhibition games in Italy August 9-18. Christopher Stock has covered the Miami Hurricanes since 2003 and can be reached by e-mail at stock@insidetheu.com and on Twitter @InsideTheU

Advertisement
I am glad to hear Miami will have 13 scholarship players next season. 2 more freshman (Harlond Beverly and Tristan Enaruna) and two grad transfers should be the plan. I want to stay away from regular transfers until Kam McGusty plays and breaks the October kicked off the team streak. Adding talent and depth is the goal for next season.

I guess someone is reading the post on this site.

I am glad to hear Miami will have 13 scholarship players next season. 2 more freshman (Harlond Beverly and Tristan Enaruna) and two grad transfers should be the plan. I want to stay away from regular transfers until Kam McGusty plays and breaks the October kicked off the team streak. Adding talent and depth is the goal for next season.

Good stuff! Thanks for the information! I hope that the 2019-20 season is much better than this one.

As I mentioned in another thread, there's word going around in HS/AAU coaching circles that Coach L will be stepping down at the end of the season. Personally, I hope it doesn't happen. I'd like to see him turn this thing around. I still think he's one of the better coaches in the country. Just needs to do a better job recruiting talent to Miami. Mid-major talent won't cut it in the ACC.

My concern is one of those 13 will be Willy. Then you have Miller and Mack. I agree with your post BTW.

Last edited:
Advertisement
As I mentioned in another thread, there's word going around in HS/AAU coaching circles that Coach L will be stepping down at the end of the season. Personally, I hope it doesn't happen. I'd like to see him turn this thing around. I still think he's one of the better coaches in the country. Just needs to do a better job recruiting talent to Miami. Mid-major talent won't cut it in the ACC.
Mid-major talent (e.g., McKinney-Jones) plus a couple xsfers with an upside (like Kadji and Larkin) won us the double -- the regular season and ACC Tourney championships in the same season not that long ago.

Coach L is one of the better coaches in the nation. He does an amazing job with the players that come here especially guard play. NCAA screwed us with their BS against Dewan. We will be back.

Fake news

Advertisement
Mid-major talent (e.g., McKinney-Jones) plus a couple xsfers with an upside (like Kadji and Larkin) won us the double -- the regular season and ACC Tourney championships in the same season not that long ago.

Shane Larkin was a 1st round pick in the NBA. Kenny Kadji was a top 100 player coming out of high school. These are the type of players Miami is sorely lacking right now.

Shane Larkin was a 1st round pick in the NBA. Kenny Kadji was a top 100 player coming out of high school. These are the type of players Miami is sorely lacking right now.
Just saying we did not successfully recruit either out out of High School. Larkin signed with DePaul and Kadji with Florida.

Just saying we did not successfully recruit either out out of High School. Larkin signed with DePaul and Kadji with Florida.

Whether it's directly from high school ranks, or via the transfer route, we aren't getting the kind of talent needed to be successful in the ACC. Coach L and crew have got to do a better job recruiting talent if we're to turn this thing around. That's the bottom line.

Advertisement
I sorta disagree on the talent. We've won the league and tourney. Recently enough. Right now, there's UNC, Duke and UVA, then a big drop off to everybody else. So ... we're hardly alone in not having elite talent. This team, with Huell, would've been competitive and likely an NCAAT team. Even if "one and done."

The reason why the talent was down thus year was the phony FBI investigations. Cost us last years recruiting class

Last edited:
Advertisement
My concern is one of those 13 will be Willy. Then you have Miller and Mack. I agree with your post BTW.

Miami will also be looking to add players in the transfer market after the season as Larranaga stated they would like to add two more transfers bringing the total to four preferred additions when they only have three scholarships available. The extra spot could open up if Willie Herenton relinquishes his after the former walk-on received one this year or if someone else leaves the program after the season. “In addition to (hoping to add two more high school players) to build for next year we would still like to get a transfer or two—somebody who would be eligible right away, someone who would kind of fill the Zach Johnson role,” Larranaga said.

The coaching staff already has plans to use the scholarship and Willie is not part of the scholarship plan. He will be back at walk-on status next season.

10 next year would be an improvement over 6 this year. I'm not ready to give up on Mack but he needs a lot of work. At least he played hard.

10 next year would be an improvement over 6 this year. I'm not ready to give up on Mack but he needs a lot of work. At least he played hard.

A few things:

1. How hard would it be, in your opinion, for a freshman or McGusty to surpass Mack on the depth chart immediately?

2. Anything would be an improvement, in terms of numbers, but these issues didn’t happen overnight. We may have 6 now but we should have closer to 8 (all things considered) at this point in the season. Miller remaining on ship, especially how atrocious our numbers situation is/was, is pretty telling. Plus we started the season with an open ship (before Wilson was booted).

3. What are your thoughts on Miller? Will he ever contribute quality burn?

1. The freshman coming in is a better talent so Mack gets passed. McGusty passes him as soon as he is eligible. I'm hoping Mack can give us a solid 8 to 10 minutes per game next year.
  2. Well, he will be a redshirt junior so if he is in shape he should contribute. Larranaga has a good reput for getting some quality minutes out of late blooming big guys. We need the kid to give us 10 to 15 minutes per game without being a liability on the court. Hard to be optimistic.

Advertisement
Back