12 Sep 91 or 5 Dec 98

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
Interesting parallels might be drawn from that muggy evening in September or the sunny day in December. Both very notable in the Orange and Green story.

Does this Hurricane squad assume the role of the visiting Cougars or do they make a return step and take their place next to the real deal "Miami is back!" teams?

Can our, will our Canes rise to the occassion tomorrow?

GO CANES!

Advertisement
That Houston game in 1991 was one of my top 3 all time games to witness in person. That atmosphere was insane. (ND in 2017 and ND in 1989 would be the top 2)

David Klingler had never seen LBs who run 4.4s before when we unleashed the Bermuda Triangle on them.

And that Houston HC never recovered. Hes somewhere getting drunk still at some small town bar in Texas having nightmares about that game. lol.

I don't get the Houston game parallel.
Need help.
Klingler? The best QB of all time and the only player to win the Heisman in August?

Advertisement
Need help.
Klingler? The best QB of all time and the only player to win the Heisman in August?

He's asking are we Houston, who came in with a decent ranking and expectations and get star struck by one of the top teams and completely humiliated and dismantled in front of everyone, or are we the Canes, who not a single soul picked to win against a top ranked team, and come in and punch them in the mouth, and then continue to punch them in the mouth, on the way to victory, starting a dynasty like no other............

Need help.
An "up tempo" and prolific offensive scheme (e.g. Run-n-Shoot) coming into town to play an established powerhouse.

I would say Miami is considered the "upstarts" against Clemson tomorrow. No?

He's asking are we Houston, who came in with a decent ranking and expectations and get star struck by one of the top teams and completely humiliated and dismantled in front of everyone, or are we the Canes, who not a single soul picked to win against a top ranked team, and come in and punch them in the mouth, and then continue to punch them in the mouth, on the way to victory, starting a dynasty like no other............
+1000.

Wins CIS this month 👆

Advertisement
An "up tempo" and prolific offensive scheme (e.g. Run-n-Shoot) coming into town to play an established powerhouse.

I would say Miami is considered the "upstarts" against Clemson tomorrow. No?
Got it.
Miami is more of a "re-start", lol.
Up-tempo O's are more common today.

It's on my list of 137 most favorite 'Cane games.
If we're the Houston character in this drama, I hope the ending isn't the same.

Oh man, that was my first night game in the OB - IIRC it was a Thursday. Miss you Orange Bowl. Shout out to Rusty Medearis, Mike Barrow, and that defense.

+1000.

Wins CIS this month 👆

Great example, though the game is night and day different than the sport was in 1991.

Houston's offense was gimmicky by the game's standards back then and Miami's stout, fast, hard-hitting defense wasn't to be trifled with.

Nothing the Canes are doing right now is gimmicky or about to get "exposed". The only issue is Miami's lack fo depth on both sides of the football, as well as a lack of consistency at receiver and interior defensive lineman.

Winnable football game, but it's going to take jumping on Clemson early as playing from behind will allow them to keep pounding inside with Etienne and running the rock.

Great example, though the game is night and day different than the sport was in 1991.

Houston's offense was gimmicky by the game's standards back then and Miami's stout, fast, hard-hitting defense wasn't to be trifled with.

Nothing the Canes are doing right now is gimmicky or about to get "exposed". The only issue is Miami's lack fo depth on both sides of the football, as well as a lack of consistency at receiver and interior defensive lineman.

Winnable football game, but it's going to take jumping on Clemson early as playing from behind will allow them to keep pounding inside with Etienne and running the rock.
100% agree on your take. The Run-N-Shoot was a touch before its time, but I believe it was because if failed to get labeled as a championship winner.

Had a natty gobe to one of those coaches, I believe it would have caught fire.

Really, today's game is an evolution of it anyway.

I believe what makes Lashlee's take on O go is the legitimate dual-threat that King pits on the field for him. Was listening to Dabo on radio last evening and I think he mentioned King is averaging 15 ypc on scrambles when flushed?

If Miami can get the offense humming and King extends drives by gashing them with his feet, our Canes can keep Lawrence on the sideline.

Advertisement
Well, we know tonight what role our Canes assumed. Score was almost identical to 91.

Brutally exposed OL atill has a long way to go against elite, but at least Miami can legitimately beat G5 teams this season--big improvement over last.

This loss is almost all on O. Lashlee just doesn't have the horses yet to run at this level.

Now, can he get their heads back on and not derail the rest of season with "woe as me" garbage. Miami still controls (mostly) their destiny by winning out.

Disalpointing result, but not the disaster some are making it out to be.

Advertisement
Back