12 Players likely to make a huge leap in 2022(Offense)

FrancisSawyer

All American
Premium
I thought I would take a break from all of the speculation regarding the new staff hires and talk a bit about the young talent we have returning next season. The following is a list of 12 players who I expect to make a significant jump/improvement from this season to the 2022 season. Some will be young players that I expect to make a substantial leap going into their 2nd year after getting some experience this past season. There are others who are upperclassmen who I think could put it all together later in their careers. Aside from Tyler Van Dime, this list in is no particular order.

1. QB Tyler Van Dyke. I was thinking about not including Van Dime on this list because he was sensational this year as a freshman. He came into a difficult and potentially disasterous situation with King going down, and the first few games of the season seeing Diaz put squarely on the hot seat. With the fans disgust with the state of the program at an all time high and a locker room on the verge of ripping itself apart, this young man calmly overcame his 1st start jitters vs UVA to lead the team to what should have been a win only to get Diazed in the end. After picking up where he left off a week before, Van Dyke continued to get better vs UNC turning in a sensational effort only to get snakebitten by a tipped ball at the end. With the team at 2-4 and Diaz basically a lame duck, Van Dime proceeded to go on a record breaking tear winning 5 of the last 6 games. The lone loss being a Chihuahua fellating a donkey type choke job Diaz special. Tyler Van Dyke goes into next season as the unquestioned leader of this team and a viable Heisman Candidate.

2. RB Jaylin Knighton. After missing the first 4 games due to suspension Knighton immediately asserted himself as the speedy explosive playmaker that fans had expected. A season ending injury to Cam Harris gave Knighton the feature back role and his speed and versatility elevated the offense to another level. Going into 2022 I expect Knighton to be an elite cog in UMs offensive machine. The Rooster 🐓 is certainly capable of being the lead feature back but his best role is that of an elite 3rd down back who's speed and game breaking ability can hurt the defense as a runner and receiver.

3. RB Thad Franklin. Franklin played sparingly as a true freshman but the 6' 240 pounder showed great potential as a between the tackles type workhorse. Many here believe that he is the most gifted natural runner out of our current stable of RB's.

4.WR Jacolby George. A smooth route runner with great hands and excellent body control, George began to make his presence felt late in the season. An elusive receiver with big play ability, George(6'180 lbs) posseses an impressive catch radius relative to his size. Needs to develop his core strength and add some good weight and muscle to his slender frame. I look for George to become an integral part of this passing attack. His frame and natural ability remind me of another UM WR whose name I'll keep to myself for now.

5. WR Keyshawn Smith. Smith will be a 3rd year sophomore next season. Another speedy and explosive receiver with good length Smith should take the next step in his development especially with Rambo and Harley off to the NFL. An off-season to develop chemistry with Van Dime will be huge

6. WR/APB Brashard Smith. Another speedy explosive playmaker with great versatility, Smith can hurt defenses from the slot or out of the backfield. After getting his feet wet in 2021, Smith could have a big year in 2022.

7. WR.Romello Brinson. Yet another weapon in Miami's deep WR corps, Brinson has good length and good speed. Played a little in 2021 and was getting more comfortable towards the end of the year. With a full off-season to sharpen his route running and gain chemistry with TVD, Brinson will have a big opportunity in 2022.

8. WR. Xavier Restrepo. When I say that the Miami WR corps is deep with great young talent I'm not kidding. Restrepo is the type that can do huge damage to opposing defenses out of the slot. Possessing tremendous lateral quickness, Restrepo is a tough matchup for most LBs and Safeties. Makes difficult catches look routine. Restrepo could be ultra productive in the middle of the field out of the slot.

9. TE Elijah Arroyo. If you wanted to build the prototype TE you would end up with someone just like Elijah Arroyo. Arroyo has everything you look for in a TE. Height, size, strength, speed, athleticism, blocking ability/physicality and great hands. After testing the water as a true freshman, I look for Arroyo to be very productive in 2022.

10. TE Will Mallory. While it is true that Mallory has had his ups and downs in his 1st 3 years at Miami, he showed during the last half of 2021 that when healthy, he can be both dependable and productive. Here's to Mallory putting it all together in his senior year.

11. C.Jakai Clark. When Corey Gaynor went down early last season, Clark was able to step right in and not only fill in but seriously upgrade the center position for UM. His continued development in his ability to run block will be key for the Miami rushing attack in 2022. Clark will solidify the middle of the Offensive Line for the next 2 seasons at least.

12. LT Zion Nelson. Assuming that Nelson returns and he should return, Zion could put it all together and truly become the 1st round talent that we all know he can be. As a 4th year Junior, Nelson has had 3 full seasons of experience playing Left Tackle and he will be the unquestioned lynchpin of the Hurricane Offensive Line.

This is obviously a potentially electrifying offense with incredible depth at WR and RB with 2 starter level TEs and an improving Offensive Line with 2 to 3 All ACC candidates and 1 potential AA in Zion Nelson not to mention a Heisman caliber QB in Tyler Van Dyke. I did not list Don Chaney Jr because he is coming off an ACL injury. Jalen Rivers was also not listed for injury reasons. If 100% healthy, Don Chaney has the talent to be the best RB on the roster. Jalen Rivers also has the ability to be All ACC if healthy. Hopefully with the return of a healthy Rivers and DJ Scaife plus help from youngsters like Rodriguez, McLaughlin, Washington and Seymour we could have a very solid OL. The sky is truly the limit for this offense but that will depend to a large degree on who the new OC is. Still much to be excited about. Defense post coming soon.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I really like this. It's well thought out and put together, for that, bravo sir!

I would add Don Chaney. I want to see what this guy can do as well. He had a season ending injury and fell off the face of the earth. I haven't heard how he's doing. Hopefully we can have a three-headed monster in Thad, Don, and Rooster.

I’m not hating on your list but you named pretty much every single skill position player lol.

TVD #1 overall pick next year with the right OC
Trust me that I was very conscious of that while writing it. I decided to go with it because they all deserve to be mentioned. In addition it goes to show you just how much young talent we have and how truly special this offense is capable of being with the right coordinator. The only problem is going to be that there won't be enough balls to go around.

Edit. My defense post won't look like this one. That you can be sure of lol.

Advertisement
Trust me that I was very conscious of that while writing it. I decided to go with it because they all deserve to be mentioned. In addition it goes to show you just how much young talent we have and how truly special this offense is capable of being with the right coordinator. The only problem is going to be that there won't be enough balls to go around.

We get that defense fixed the offense gonna get a lot more opportunities. Can’t even name how many times other teams ate the clock up on us going to 3rd down only to convert.

I really like this. It's well thought out and put together, for that, bravo sir!

I would add Don Chaney. I want to see what this guy can do as well. He had a season ending injury and fell off the face of the earth. I haven't heard how he's doing. Hopefully we can have a three-headed monster in Thad, Don, and Rooster.
Thanks man. I did mention Chaney in the last paragraph. I didn't list him because I'm always hesitant with players who tore their ACL. I know that sports medicine is much more advanced now but with that type of injury you never know. Trust me I want that 3 headed monster at RB. Chaney is my favorite RB so I'm pulling for him.

We get that defense fixed the offense gonna get a lot more opportunities. Can’t even name how many times other teams ate the clock up on us going to 3rd down only to convert.
Absolutely right. I'll post one on the defense tonight sometime. The defense post will be smaller lol. Still with the right true freshmen and portal guys plus the right DC we can improve this defense substantially. It won't be elite but it can be a decently tough little defense.

We kind of already know what some of these guys are. Not saying that can't take another step but most of these guys have had legit burn and our on the scene. We need guys on offense to continue to develop their skills and continue to develop chemistry with TVD.

Advertisement

No doubt, we do have a lot of talent. Only thing that worries me is the o-line, which honestly shows by your list. Both in the fact that they’re the last two mentioned and that there’s only two. Enjoyed it though, will be looking forward to the list on D 💪

Thanks man. I did mention Chaney in the last paragraph. I didn't list him because I'm always hesitant with players who tore their ACL. I know that sports medicine is much more advanced now but with that type of injury you never know. Trust me I want that 3 headed monster at RB. Chaney is my favorite RB so I'm pulling for him.
**** I read all the way up to "Heisman caliber QB in Tyler Van Dyke" and stopped. I'm an idiot but thanks for the response anyway.

You're right about being cautious but I see glimpses of Frank Gore in him and hopefully, like Gore, he can return to being 100%

Still not overly convinced by any of the OLinemen. I reserve judgement until someone who knows give an opinion or after seeing the Spring game for myself. If we can get a consistent run game and short yardage conversions, all the players mentioned should be vastly improved.

Advertisement
Absolutely right. I'll post one on the defense tonight sometime. The defense post will be smaller lol. Still with the right true freshmen and portal guys plus the right DC we can improve this defense substantially. It won't be elite but it can be a decently tough little defense.
Thanks for your time, real good read

Advertisement
go canes.jpg

Elijah Arroyo, Jacolby George & Romello Brinson.
These 3 to me could be the heavy lifters in the passing game. Are they your top 3? Do you feel like Keyshawn Smith could explode next season? Then there is a talent like Brashard Smith. Assuming we stay with spread and air raid concepts, Brashard could have a big role. Our problem might be not having enough footballs.

Advertisement
Back