11/8: FAU at 7:00 (ACC Network)

Advertisement
My takeaways:

1. Gotta love those freshmen, especially Beverly
2. Sam is uncomfortable as **** playing inside but can't fault his effort tonight; he's trying and I give him credit for buying into playing a style that doesn't really suit him
3. We're a horrible rebounding team
4. Miller was pretty good offensively (can he get that little left-handed hook off against Duke and UNC???); don't like his defense and the fact he plays small (a 7 footer who might as well be 6'7)
5. Is Gak injured or were his minutes a "Coach's Decision"
Judging by Coach L’s body language when he told Sam to sub in for Gak, I’d say Coach’s Decision

Not the best performance by any means, but a win is a win.

What I found especially concerning is the rebounding. It's what allowed FAU to take our 16 point lead all the way to 3 midway thru the 2nd half. We desperately need Gak to contribute something. Miller looked decent, but 32 minutes is just way, way too much for him. He was visibly gassed down the stretch. We should never allow FAU to grab 17 offensive boards.

Extremely impressed with Beverly. He's athletic and has a great feel for the game for a freshman. If Kam continues to struggle, it wouldn't shock me to see Beverly take his spot in the starting lineup.

Advertisement
Could say the same about Lykes and DJ. Somebody's gotta shoot/score.
Was actually gonna add them also, Lykes more than dj. There is no ball movement, just everybody looking for theirs.. We take some terrible shots when there is better opportunities available if the player would look to be a playmaker instead of just zoning in on getting their own..

This was my first time seeing these guys in person so maybe being too harsh but thats how I saw it. I liked what I saw in first half from waardenburg, Miller was good, just need to limit minutes but dont think we have another body, and beverly..

Advertisement
Going to be a long season. Hopefully we can make the NIT. Chris Lykes is a huge disappointment so far. He's a good player, but we need great from him and for a kid his size, I'm floored that his 3pt shooting hasn't drastically improved from year 1.

Was actually gonna add them also, Lykes more than dj. There is no ball movement, just everybody looking for theirs.. We take some terrible shots when there is better opportunities available if the player would look to be a playmaker instead of just zoning in on getting their own..

This was my first time seeing these guys in person so maybe being too harsh but thats how I saw it. I liked what I saw in first half from waardenburg, Miller was good, just need to limit minutes but dont think we have another body, and beverly..

We don't have an offensive identity and haven't since L lost his offensive assistant. Watching our half court offense makes my stomach hurt. It is 1 on 1 basketball across the board with untalented ACC basketball players.

Lykes needs to come off the bench, plain and simple.

Advertisement

Coach L post game press conference: key points

1. Defense needs to get better
2. The first half Sam Wardeenburg is the Sam Miami has been waiting on.
3. Miami responding to the FAU run was important
4. Adjusting to the opponent will be a key to victory this season
5. Defensive goal reached against FAU. Under 40% from the field and under 30% from 3.
6. Harlond will play more point this season. Coach L loves his versatility.
7. Rodney Miller is the one big (only) who can score on the block. 12 points was good but he needs to rebound more (only 5 tonight)
8. Chris, DJ and Kam will get better as the season goes along.
9. Freshman contribution will continue to improve.

1. FAU is getting better and Coach May is building a good program.
2. Impressed that he uses all 13 scholarships and figured out how to play all 13 guys against Miami.
3. Extremely happy for the opportunity to play against Miami.
4. Rodney and Sam beat FAU in the first half and the guards took over in the second half.

Player post game press conference

1. One loss does not define the season. Next game is a chance to prove what you have learned.
2. Sam had an aggressive mindset in the first half. He needs that mindset for the whole game.
3. Game is about runs and how you react to the opponents run. Spurtability per Clark Kellog.
4. The team needs more games to gel and improve.
5. Depth on the bench is a huge benefit this season. Huge understatement.

Advertisement
I haven't seen much improvement from Lykes since freshman year in any respect.
I agree. Regression even! And now, Coach L wants him (rightly so) to become more of a PG. I wonder how much Chris will "buy in" to that?

Since he's been at UM, I've had a friendly "argument" on this board with folks who said Lykes was our 1. As far as I could tell, they based that on his size. I mean, what else could a 5'5 (generous) player be? Well, I said then and I say again, he does not see himself as a PG, and has never played like one.

Advertisement
Back