🚨🚨 ¡ MIKE RUMPH ! 🚨🚨

Any hot tips on what’s happening? Where’s that Palmetto CB going?
Sorry, no info, we ain't had church in like 3 or 4 months. Online only, but when I wore my Canes garb to church she told me that. She said Mike was a good kid when we talked about him, so there's that I guess. I told her, "Yes, he seems nice and can corch pretty well, but is there any way you can help him with his recruiting skills?". "I'll try" was her response.

Advertisement
Since you brought it up, I always thought Rumph had something to do with the JFK assassination.

And don't even get me started about Pearl Harbor.

Horrible, horrible person.

Does being a decent to slightly above average recruiter make up for a COACHS INABILITY TO COACH? U guys wanna constantly forget the job of a COACH is to COACH. Recruiting is secondary to that & y'all's opinions are nowhere near accurate. You guys choose to blame Mike for issues he has minimal control over. Not at all saying he's great at any one particular side of his job but he's certainly not a liability period. Why don't you have this same fervor about these decent recruiters who just waste away the talent of the kids they recruit? Ain't that some ****. Y'all say Mike gets nobody but he gets kids into the league late round. Well these great recruiters get some kids they target then don't develop them to their potential. They leave as a late round pick or undrafted free agent too. So who's actually doing the better jobs?

My answer is yes. I’m not an expert by any means and not claiming to be one. But if you look at all the blue chip DB’s we have missed on haven’t most of them performed and been drafted or are going to be drafted in early rounds?
Do you know that each year there are only 30 recruits rated at 5* across all positions, offensive and defensive? Most of the recruits that people **** and moan about are 5* or border-line 5* (they don't get the fifth because it's a numbers game). Not only are they good but they have ideal traits that scouts look for like size, speed, drive, etc. Do they bust, yes, but most of those types are going to be highly drafted no matter who coaches them based on their own natural growth and future potential.

Someone that's a good or great coach takes someone with less than ideal traits and gets them to perform above what their potential would indicate … repeatedly. Now look at the people we've had drafted recently. Have any of them come in with ideal traits that indicate they were not properly coach or developed? The ones that stand out to me are Chad Thomas, Chickillo and Navaugh Donaldson (although he hasn't been drafted yet). None of them are CBs.

Do you know that each year there are only 30 recruits rated at 5* across all positions, offensive and defensive? Most of the recruits that people **** and moan about are 5* or border-line 5* (they don't get the fifth because it's a numbers game). Not only are they good but they have ideal traits that scouts look for like size, speed, drive, etc. Do they bust, yes, but most of those types are going to be highly drafted no matter who coaches them based on their own natural growth and future potential.

Someone that's a good or great coach takes someone with less than ideal traits and gets them to perform above what their potential would indicate … repeatedly. Now look at the people we've had drafted recently. Have any of them come in with ideal traits that indicate they were not properly coach or developed? The ones that stand out to me are Chad Thomas, Chickillo and Navaugh Donaldson (although he hasn't been drafted yet). None of them are CBs.
Agreed. Add McCord and Artie burns to that list.

Advertisement
I've told y'all that for years now. Misery loves company.
I know you have but I have to read between the lines with you. The person I responded to was the first to flat out state it. Judging from some of the posts on this board, many need it spelled out in black and white.

It's good to see you feeling better.

Last edited:
Advertisement
@dsddcane here we go again! Greatest recruiting momentum in decades and you jump on the board to talk about what is lacking and what is wrong, inside of focusing on what are the positives! Just sad
You have no idea who you're talking to...That's what's Sad....Nobody on this board wants to see UM do well more than him...I'll trust someone who played at UM (rather well) when it comes to Informative Facts...

My answer is yes. I’m not an expert by any means and not claiming to be one. But if you look at all the blue chip DB’s we have missed on haven’t most of them performed and been drafted or are going to be drafted in early rounds?
Brother are you serious right now? Yes those ones we missed on went to good coaches(normally) & winning programs and performed. THEY WERE DEVELOPED. You just wanna look at corner and say we miss on everyone(which is nonsense by the way) yet for the coaches you guys are talking about(here) that sometimes hit on bigger targets THEY DONT DEVELOP THEM & THEY LEAVE HERE AT BEST AS LATE ROUND PICKS THEN TOO... So how do you critique Mike who goes after the kids he's allowed to & develops those low ranked kids into the same level of draft picks or udfa...... Do you seriously not see that logic?

Brother are you serious right now? Yes those ones we missed on went to good coaches(normally) & winning programs and performed. THEY WERE DEVELOPED. You just wanna look at corner and say we miss on everyone(which is nonsense by the way) yet for the coaches you guys are talking about(here) that sometimes hit on bigger targets THEY DONT DEVELOP THEM & THEY LEAVE HERE AT BEST AS LATE ROUND PICKS THEN TOO... So how do you critique Mike who goes after the kids he's allowed to & develops those low ranked kids into the same level of draft picks or udfa...... Do you seriously not see that logic?
It’s a culture problem across the board at Miami. Rumph’s misses have just been under a microscope given the circumstances (pop warner coach, heritage coach, former cane, etc). I’m not one to say Rumph has missed on everyone either. By the grace of god we have had some good corners fall in our laps late in cycle. If we want to dive in to the rest of the coaching staff stinking it up we could easily do that. I’m not sure if Rumph deserves it but he is under the most scrutiny on staff on trail.

Advertisement
I know you have but I have to read between the lines with you. The person I responded to was the first to flat out state it. Judging from some of the posts on this board, many need it spelled out in black and while.

It's good to see you feeling better.
Sometimes subtlety is necessary. You gotta realize there's alot of people ain't too fond about y'all knowing any of this ****. The rest don't feel y'all deserve too. Look how people respond when what they think they know ends up being ****ery... Thank you by the way brother.

Advertisement
@dsddcane here we go again! Greatest recruiting momentum in decades and you jump on the board to talk about what is lacking and what is wrong, inside of focusing on what are the positives! Just sad
What are you talking about? Are you seriously this slow? I'm not saying a single thing that's wrong. You simply have little to none on the reading comprehension scale. IM DEFENDING A COACH WHO'S MY BROTHER THAT I KNOW **** WELL WHAT HE ACTUALLY DOES & how he's held back. I'm not the one who's dwelling on the others. But I get it u need an issue. Personally I don't give 3 ***** what any of y'all feel when it relates to this university. Stand in my shoes than tell me about us

The million dollar question is:

does being a “good teacher” make up for your MASSIVE inefficiencies on recruiting trail. So much so that your are put in timeout while recruiting big fish. My answer would be no but like you touched on. Not sure we could real in a big fish db coach anyways.

We have nothing but 4 star DBs on this roster.

Advertisement
Back