🚨🚨 ¡ MIKE RUMPH ! 🚨🚨

Ian Book and Trask are light years better than the guys they replaced.

Rumph going up against Howell will be a good test obviously. Schedule is super weak, so from there maybe V.Tech and Pickett from Pitt is decent competition. I'd assume Blackmon improves a little this year now that he has a HC that can at least put together a coherent game plan
I miss Willie.

Advertisement
This isn't even pertaining to Rumph...

But we always get on here and talk about how good or bad certain coaches are.
Unless you're at practice, then how does anybody know how good of a teacher/coach any of these guys are?
Bc it should translate to the field and to NFL drafts. We’re recruiting 3-4 stars and they’re getting drafted in the 5th and 6th round if drafted at all.

Advertisement
This isn't even pertaining to Rumph...

But we always get on here and talk about how good or bad certain coaches are.
Unless you're at practice, then how does anybody know how good/bad of a teacher/coach any of these guys are?

Based on whether I hate their face. Dan Enos... super punchable face.

The million dollar question is:

does being a “good teacher” make up for your MASSIVE inefficiencies on recruiting trail. So much so that your are put in timeout while recruiting big fish. My answer would be no but like you touched on. Not sure we could real in a big fish db coach anyways.
Lol at MASSIVE.....Not as MASSIVE as those SEC Bags....

I think this so-called deficiency is wayyyy overblown....Good Luck going up against $EC Bags for 5yrs straight.....
I hear you brother and like I said I really do respect Rumph as a coach and teacher. Also I do get the fact that we are up against those Bags more than our share of the time. I'm just not in agreement that the bag wars are the entire explanation for Rumph's shortcomings in recruiting. The entire process of recruiting the CB position has been well below par during his entire time here. We have and have had other coaches that have recruited their respective position groups much more effectively and these coaches are also up against bags. My point is that bags are a very significant factor but IMO that excuse no matter how legitimate can account for the entire story here. Rumph just isn't a good recruiter and there's no shame in that as it's not a skill everyone can master.

rumph is the don soldinger of this staff.

people really don't know how weak donnie was as a recruiter and evaluator. but the guy knew the RB position and was a great college position coach.

rumph is like that in a lot of ways. has his issues with recruiting, although maybe less of a problem with evals as donnie had. but no one can dispute that he knows DB play, and how to get a lot out of his kids.

Dan is an entirely different coach than Rumph. Also, Solidinger was a good recruiter with lots of ties to SFL.

Advertisement
I hear you brother and like I said I really do respect Rumph as a coach and teacher. Also I do get the fact that we are up against those Bags more than our share of the time. I'm just not in agreement that the bag wars are the entire explanation for Rumph's shortcomings in recruiting. The entire process of recruiting the CB position has been well below par during his entire time here. We have and have had other coaches that have recruited their respective position groups much more effectively and these coaches are also up against bags. My point is that bags are a very significant factor but IMO that excuse no matter how legitimate can account for the entire story here. Rumph just isn't a good recruiter and there's no shame in that as it's not a skill everyone can master.
I think you meant (dare I say) since Butch was here.

Last edited:
Ima say this and leave it alone. What Rumph can do is coach everybody; what Rumph cannot do is identify a cb and green light an offer. If you are going to blame anyone for missing cb targets, it should be 1. Diaz & 2. Banda. Mike has a directive on exactly what he can do regarding recruiting.

I don’t understand how people can see what he did as a coach (especially at AH) and think he can’t recruit or teach. This reminds me of how people shytted on Randy Shannon while other programs raved about him. Just about all of the coaches on Randy’s staff are still collecting checks but so called Canes fans still bash the guy knowing he did not have any support. Fkn crazy.

This would explain a lot.

But there are skeptics that would ask for sauces and there are malcontents that don't care if you have them.

Bc it should translate to the field and to NFL drafts. We’re recruiting 3-4 stars and they’re getting drafted in the 5th and 6th round if drafted at all.

Some dont get this. You don't say someone's a great teacher with average to below average results. That's like saying a math teacher in HS is the best but all his students fail the FCAT every year. A good to great teacher gets results. You don't have 4 year players with tons of flaws and called raw heading to the nfl. Corn was developed before he got here but regardless what cb under him is getting PT in the nfl or doing well? We are built off developing guys to do well at the next level. Our subpar schedule and lack of facing top offenses have our fans delusional. It should tell you something when FIU and La tech come out the gate and go at our perceived best corner. Those teams both had subpar qbs and offenses. Then fans use other teams dbs stats and try to act like our guys were on par but those orher dbs faced Clemson, Bama, Lsu and etc lol. If we faced any of those schools last year we wouldn't fare better

Advertisement
The million dollar question is:

does being a “good teacher” make up for your MASSIVE inefficiencies on recruiting trail. So much so that your are put in timeout while recruiting big fish. My answer would be no but like you touched on. Not sure we could real in a big fish db coach anyways.
Does being a decent to slightly above average recruiter make up for a COACHS INABILITY TO COACH? U guys wanna constantly forget the job of a COACH is to COACH. Recruiting is secondary to that & y'all's opinions are nowhere near accurate. You guys choose to blame Mike for issues he has minimal control over. Not at all saying he's great at any one particular side of his job but he's certainly not a liability period. Why don't you have this same fervor about these decent recruiters who just waste away the talent of the kids they recruit? Ain't that some ****. Y'all say Mike gets nobody but he gets kids into the league late round. Well these great recruiters get some kids they target then don't develop them to their potential. They leave as a late round pick or undrafted free agent too. So who's actually doing the better jobs?

Advertisement
Does being a decent to slightly above average recruiter make up for a COACHS INABILITY TO COACH? U guys wanna constantly forget the job of a COACH is to COACH. Recruiting is secondary to that & y'all's opinions are nowhere near accurate. You guys choose to blame Mike for issues he has minimal control over. Not at all saying he's great at any one particular side of his job but he's certainly not a liability period. Why don't you have this same fervor about these decent recruiters who just waste away the talent of the kids they recruit? Ain't that some ****. Y'all say Mike gets nobody but he gets kids into the league late round. Well these great recruiters get some kids they target then don't develop them to their potential. They leave as a late round pick or undrafted free agent too. So who's actually doing the better jobs?
Exactly....

That why I’m not against rumph. I think he’ll only get better as a teacher and he’s already good. Once he gets a couple high round picks under his belt the narrative won’t exist anymore and we’ll have to find someone else to rag on

My answer is yes. I’m not an expert by any means and not claiming to be one. But if you look at all the blue chip DB’s we have missed on haven’t most of them performed and been drafted or are going to be drafted in early rounds?

Advertisement
Back