🚨🚨 ¡ MIKE RUMPH ! 🚨🚨

The same way we got Kinchens and James Williams to verbally commit right now?.

Seems like they overcame that so far.
I have no doubt you know more about it than I do. I can only guess that some kids are looking for bags and others aren't? I don't know the answer. I'm just saying I don't know how fair it is to point to those guys and bang on Rumph when people say they took bags to go to other schools.

Advertisement
I will never understand how a school has 4stars at CB, and they're still complaining. They sound like delusional Gator Fans by thinking Surtain, Campbell, and Stevenson was coming anyway. Rumph doesn't know how to recruit? Yeah, okay. But, They don't tell you how Rumph wanted Jaden Davis and Asante Samuel Jr.... Wasn't given the greenlight on those two kids. Why? Yet they're balling at their school right now. Miss me on the BS all of this falls on Manny who doesn't prioritize CBs. Just like he had 3 Freshman LBs who still didn't know how to take good angles to make a play. Because he doesn't care about LBs as well hence why Baker and Patke still exist.

Multiple premium talent players at critical positions for building a successful football team. 18 didn’t have a Top 10 talent in the class. This one is slated to have 2. Seems like this class may also be deeper from top to bottom.
Top 10 talent is nice but not a prerequisite. The problem with 2018 is that (1) we didn't follow it up in 2019 with a complementary class that filled our needs and (2) in critical positions we had misses or it's still two early to determine, e.g, the highest rated recruits (per 247)
  1. Lorenzo Linguard - RB - Natl 25, pos 2 - ACL injury then wigged out to the Gator - miss
  2. Brevin Jorden - TE - Natl 32, pos 1 - Need to keep him healthy - hit
  3. Nesta Silvera - DT - Natl 54, pos 2 - hobbled by injury in soph years, needs to make the next step - TBD
  4. Mark Pope - WR - Natl 67, pos 11 - not properly developed - TBD
  5. Jarren Williams - QB - Natl 77, pos 5 - we know his story - miss
  6. Al Blades Jr - CB - Natl 97, pos 12 - he's on is way, needs to continue progress - hit
  7. DJ Scaife - OG - Natl 149 pos 5 - played out of position due to misses at tackle - hit
  8. Brian Hightower - WR - Natl 154, pos 57 - don't really know, suspect not properly developed - miss (since he left)
  9. Cam Harris - RB - Natl 173, pos 7 - showed he's got the skills, now needs to carry the load - hit
  10. Gurvan Hall - S - Natl 184, pos 15 - starter in sophomore year, needs to continue progress - hit
  11. Gilbert Frierson - CB - Natl 200 pos 21, recruited as CB, moved to striker, needs to be consistent - TBD
While there's no top 10 ranked talent, almost half the class in the top 200 nationally which is pretty good. But only 5 have made a positive impact and none at critical positions such as QB, DT, OT. That's not to say it's too late for some of these guys. It just has to get better than that.

San Fran switched Mike from CB to Safety because his sure tackling skills were better than his coverage skills...Anyone who thinks Mike couldn't coach Safeties as well, needs to please stop....

Then why do we have two db coaches, one for cbs, one for safetys?

Advertisement
On your last point about not being able to get a great DB coach....... Why not? I mean were not talking about prying Corey Raymond from LSU. We don't have to go out and hire an established superstar DB coach. There are more than plenty good to great young coaches out there who would love the opportunity that being the DB coach at UM would represent. I truly do appreciate the coaching chops that Rumph brings to the table. I really do. He is a very good teacher and developer of talent. Thing is he couldn't recruit a hooker with a fist full of c-notes. There could very well come a time when we are just not willing to live with that deficiency.
You're not talking about Corey Raymond by name but the person everyone's been saying we need (someone that recruits and coaches at an elite or high level) describes Corey Raymond. Most don't realize how rare those guys are.

I don't think Rumph will ever become an ace recruiter but if he's developing talent to the point where they become a well respected NFL player and the team is winning then I have no doubt we'll bring in some quality blue chip CB's.

If you're a good teacher and your team is winning then recruiting becomes easier. The key factor in all of this is we haven't been winning. It's hard to recruit when you're known for coaching at a losing program.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Great coach & Great Cane.

By next week all his recruiting misses will be forgiven.

Sleep is for the weak. You are the man! CIS stops me from getting the little time
Asked and answered a million times previously.

I thought we were shutting down these ongoing repetitive and baseless attacks against our coaching staff.
I wish we could stay on topic and talk about how Mike gets the most out of 3 and 4 star recruits. The second topic should be how do we get half of the elite player at cb from SFL more often than not. When we put a better product field (10-11 wins guaranteed yearly) they will come. In agreement, So many threads get derailed. I post like 5 times a year because I'm a fan of all the info provided on this board by really informed posters or intelligent people. I appreciate those that have eyes for talent, people that have played at Miami or elsewhere, coach HS ball, or just know these kids period. I love every post about recruiting but please put your angst or gripes about Coach so and so on the football board.

Great coach & Great Cane.

By next week all his recruiting misses will be forgiven.

rumph is the don soldinger of this staff.

people really don't know how weak donnie was as a recruiter and evaluator. but the guy knew the RB position and was a great college position coach.

rumph is like that in a lot of ways. has his issues with recruiting, although maybe less of a problem with evals as donnie had. but no one can dispute that he knows DB play, and how to get a lot out of his kids.

can someone sum up what this 14 page out of the blue thread on Mike Rumph is about? did he drop someone? a new commit? is he leaving? WTF?

Nothing happened. It was just created to funnel all the usual thread derailment of “Rumph sucks so bad at recruiting he couldn’t recruit a hooker at a $2 whorehouse with $100 in his pocket” countered by the “Rumph is such an outstanding coach he could turn Manny Navarro into a Top 10 NFL pick at CB”.

If you ever wished you could click on a thread about a recruit and avoid having to read weeks worth and multiple pages of the Rumph thread derailment then you’re going to want to skip this page. Me I’m just here to see if we can stay consistent and derail this thread with talk of recruiting.

Advertisement
rumph is the don soldinger of this staff.

people really don't know how weak donnie was as a recruiter and evaluator. but the guy knew the RB position and was a great college position coach.

rumph is like that in a lot of ways. has his issues with recruiting, although maybe less of a problem with evals as donnie had. but no one can dispute that he knows DB play, and how to get a lot out of his kids.
Don coached two or three positions I think over his two tours at UM. I didn’t know he was such a week recruiter.

The million dollar question is:

does being a “good teacher” make up for your MASSIVE inefficiencies on recruiting trail. So much so that your are put in timeout while recruiting big fish. My answer would be no but like you touched on. Not sure we could real in a big fish db coach anyways.
Not everyone is a recruiter...that's why you hire folks on staff strictly for recruiting that are not on field coaches like Cooney & Lockett. And you have dudes like DVD on staff. I'm good with Rumph being a good on field coach and developing the talent, it's up to the rest of the staff and Manny to pull in the whales at CB. Just my 28 dinars.

Advertisement
Back