🚨🚨 ¡ MIKE RUMPH ! 🚨🚨

I've been hard on Rumph for obvious reasons but constantly bashing him is counterproductive.

He ain't going nowhere nor should he as long as Patke who literally only has 2 commits to his name is still on staff.

Yes he's had several bad misses, but none of that matters right now, Rumph is good money & will land us some Blue-chippers going forward & in the 22 class.

Banda, Field, Stroud, Hickson, Likens, Justice, Lashlee, Rumph, Ed Reed, DVD, Cooney, Lockette, Hyppolite, Pata & Terry Jefferson have all stepped up & done a great job for us this class & will have us a great spot for next year too.

Canes fans gotta stop this civil war & put our energy towards more important matters like clowning UF & FSU. We **** near about to have the best class we've had in a decade & yall still bickering over dumb shìt.
Spot on, got to stop with all the negativity with all the positives that are happening at the U right now. The future is looking real good right now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I've been hard on Rumph for obvious reasons but constantly bashing him is counterproductive.

He ain't going nowhere nor should he as long as Patke who literally only has 2 commits to his name is still on staff.

Yes he's had several bad misses, but none of that matters right now, Rumph is good money & will land us some Blue-chippers going forward & in the 22 class.

Banda, Field, Stroud, Hickson, Likens, Justice, Lashlee, Rumph, Ed Reed, DVD, Cooney, Lockette, Hyppolite, Pata & Terry Jefferson have all stepped up & done a great job for us this class & will have us in a great spot for next year too.

Canes fans gotta stop this civil war & put our energy towards more important matters like clowning UF & FSU. We **** near about to have the best class we've had in a decade & yall still bickering over dumb shìt.
Well said

Ima say this and leave it alone. What Rumph can do is coach everybody; what Rumph cannot do is identify a cb and green light an offer. If you are going to blame anyone for missing cb targets, it should be 1. Diaz & 2. Banda. Mike has a directive on exactly what he can do regarding recruiting.

I don’t understand how people can see what he did as a coach (especially at AH) and think he can’t recruit or teach. This reminds me of how people shytted on Randy Shannon while other programs raved about him. Just about all of the coaches on Randy’s staff are still collecting checks but so called Canes fans still bash the guy knowing he did not have any support. Fkn crazy.

Ima say this and leave it alone. What Rumph can do is coach everybody; what Rumph cannot do is identify a cb and green light an offer. If you are going to blame anyone for missing cb targets, it should be 1. Diaz & 2. Banda. Mike has a directive on exactly what he can do regarding recruiting.

I don’t understand how people can see what he did as a coach (especially at AH) and think he can’t recruit or teach. This reminds me of how people shytted on Randy Shannon while other programs raved about him. Just about all of the coaches on Randy’s staff are still collecting checks but so called Canes fans still bash the guy knowing he did not have any support. Fkn crazy.
People look for a scapegoat. On here it's just never the right person

Never understood the criticism of Rumph. After 5 years of terrible corner play under Golden, the improvement under Rumph was noticeable even in 2016. Then in 2018 we had the #1 defensive passer rating in the nation. If they’re performing at that level, I’m not too concerned if he misses a couple recruits. I’m much more concerned about the offense finally getting on track.

Advertisement

Banda, Field, Stroud, Hickson, Likens, Justice, Lashlee, Rumph, Ed Reed, DVD, Cooney, Lockette, Hyppolite, Pata & Terry Jefferson have all stepped up & done a great job for us this class & will have us in a great spot for next year too.

Looking for varying perspectives - what would make 21's class the best in a decade over the '18 class that was supposed to (and maybe still could) put UM back to national prominence?

I agree.

And there wouldn't be a civil war, or even a discussion, if some people who just hate a guy over...their feelings, I guess...would set that aside and look at the objective facts and stats.

Anyhow, I've done my best to present the true numbers. If some people want to keep hating on Rumph, I'm just going to let miserable people keep on being miserable.

Looking for varying perspectives - what would make 21's class the best in a decade over the '18 class that was supposed to (and maybe still could) put UM back to national prominence?
Multiple premium talent players at critical positions for building a successful football team. 18 didn’t have a Top 10 talent in the class. This one is slated to have 2. Seems like this class may also be deeper from top to bottom.

Am I the only one on here just to see if this thread gets derailed with actual talk of a recruiting target?

EA640624-19F6-4DBB-901E-FA56CFC6068E.gif

Advertisement
Why does Rumph get banged for Surtain, Campbell, Jobe and Stevenson when the word is they all took money to go to other schools? What is a recruiter supposed to do when kids are taking bags from other schools.. if it's true that's what they did. It seems like he's in a catch 22. What are you gonna sell a kid when teams that are in the playoffs are willing to pay them? How is Rumph supposed to overcome that?

The same way we got Kinchens and James Williams to verbally commit right now?.

Seems like they overcame that so far.

this. hes prolly one of if not our best coach from a teaching aspect (aside from the new O staff who we havent seen yet). hes just not a recruiter. as long as you can make up for his deficiencies in recruiting with an elite support staff youre fine (which manny seems to have done)

If he's such a good teacher, why can't he coach safety, a position he played in the nfl?

Compared to the vast majority of DB coaches, he is doing a quarter of the job.

If he wasn’t a CANE and was fired before worthless *** Patke and Baker, people with a pulse would still see through it. Here’s the deal - a REAL DC could have helped develop Rumph and the other skilled position guys. But we’re stuck with Manny’s Boy, who needed to be saved by Manny, which is actually leaving a CANE like Rumph with the short end of the stick.

The lack of real coaching experience on defense was an issue early and often - and that bled over onto the trail. Rumph deserves better. Blood, sweat and tears.

Advertisement
If he's such a good teacher, why can't he coach safety, a position he played in the nfl?

Compared to the vast majority of DB coaches, he is doing a quarter of the job.
San Fran switched Mike from CB to Safety because his sure tackling skills were better than his coverage skills...Anyone who thinks Mike couldn't coach Safeties as well, needs to please stop....

The million dollar question is:

does being a “good teacher” make up for your MASSIVE inefficiencies on recruiting trail. So much so that your are put in timeout while recruiting big fish. My answer would be no but like you touched on. Not sure we could real in a big fish db coach anyways.
On your last point about not being able to get a great DB coach....... Why not? I mean were not talking about prying Corey Raymond from LSU. We don't have to go out and hire an established superstar DB coach. There are more than plenty good to great young coaches out there who would love the opportunity that being the DB coach at UM would represent. I truly do appreciate the coaching chops that Rumph brings to the table. I really do. He is a very good teacher and developer of talent. Thing is he couldn't recruit a hooker with a fist full of c-notes. There could very well come a time when we are just not willing to live with that deficiency.

Last edited:
On your last point about not being able to get a great DB coach....... Why not? I mean were not talking about prying Corey Raymond from LSU. We don't have to go out and hire an established superstar DB coach. There are more than plenty good to great young coaches out there who would love the opportunity that being the DB coach at UM would represent. I truly do appreciate the coaching chops that Rumph brings to the table. I really do. He is a very good teacher and developer of talent. Thing is he couldn't recruit a hooker with a fist full of c-notes. There could very well come a time when we are just not willing to live with that deficiency.
I think this so-called deficiency is wayyyy overblown....Good Luck going up against $EC Bags for 5yrs straight.....

Advertisement
Back