🚨🚨 ¡ MIKE RUMPH ! 🚨🚨

How did you come up with that conclusion from what I said? Mike Jack had NFL potential period. Never claimed he should’ve been an early round pick.....which he had a little hype for during his junior season in his own right.
Sorry I ThOught you were criticizing Rumph for. Or getting him in earlier. But although Rumph has his recruiting short comings for whatever reason he still gets a lot of “he’s an average coach” thrown at him despite getting dudes drafted and all of them being lower rated kids. It’s getting old when people have a 2 deep roster full of 5 star 6’2 db’s that run 4.3’s and take all the credit for their talent and act like their a db guru cause they got drafted day 1

Advertisement
Advertisement
Exactly why we should have called a timeout.
Wasn't even close...EASY 1st down...If Instant Replay were around...1st down UM...
Schiano Blitzed Morgan on the play...and he hit the QB as he released it...But still to this day don't understand why you creep your CBs so close to LOS under those circumstances on a Sh*t slippery field....

Wasn't even close...EASY 1st down...If Instant Replay were around...1st down UM...
Schiano Blitzed Morgan on the play...and he hit the QB as he released it...But still to this day don't understand why you creep your CBs so close to LOS under those circumstances on a Sh*t slippery field....

Yes sir, I believe it was rainy before the game, I think I just had a sweatshirt.

But, yeah, every time I watch that replay from the TV broadcast, I freak out when I see 10 defenders in the frame, all within 6 yards of the line of scrimmage.

I think two of the worst "ref judgment calls" were the 1988 Cleveland Gary NON-FUMBLE (the refs actually thought it was 4th and goal) and the spot of the ball on this play. Terry Porter was a penalty call, but the other two were just horrendous on-the-spot officiating.

It's hard to tell on the low-def TV broadcast, but if Morgan was the blitzing LB, there was another LB who matched up to the TE. I think we were in nickel, not dime. Whole set up was as if we seriously thought they might run the ball. Insane.

Schiano did get a lot better after that disaster, but I was ****ed at him for a good long time.

Yes sir, I believe it was rainy before the game, I think I just had a sweatshirt.

But, yeah, every time I watch that replay from the TV broadcast, I freak out when I see 10 defenders in the frame, all within 6 yards of the line of scrimmage.

I think two of the worst "ref judgment calls" were the 1988 Cleveland Gary NON-FUMBLE (the refs actually thought it was 4th and goal) and the spot of the ball on this play. Terry Porter was a penalty call, but the other two were just horrendous on-the-spot officiating.

It's hard to tell on the low-def TV broadcast, but if Morgan was the blitzing LB, there was another LB who matched up to the TE. I think we were in nickel, not dime. Whole set up was as if we seriously thought they might run the ball. Insane.

Schiano did get a lot better after that disaster, but I was ****ed at him for a good long time.
Field was super slippery....Cant even watch that game anymore...We ended up beating GT (Hamilton was QB) in the Bowl game...but we'd have been in a much better game with a Win in the Penn St game...

Advertisement
Field was super slippery....Cant even watch that game anymore...We ended up beating GT (Hamilton was QB) in the Bowl game...but we'd have been in a much better game with a Win in the Penn St game...

That specific play tore my soul out. I’m begging you guys to stop talking about that game as it is making me want to crack a beer or 12.

Rumph is a mixed bag

I think he a great teacher and he has evidence to show it. Corn and Michael Jackson played way better under Rumph. Al Blades geared to be a top cornerback this year. Trajan hit a slump last year but he played some real good ball during his time here. Had Colbert playing some really good ball after Texas failed him. Malek was showing some real promise before the neck injury. He gets the most out of his guys. If he had more of top talented kids coming out of HS. He would be looked at different but that leads to my next point....

He is not a good recruiter and there is evidence of that. It has been said before that it seems like he is handcuffed on what kids he wants to go after and what kids he is told to go after but that shouldn't effect him recruiting in general. It's crazy because he has some material to pitch (Played on a championship college team, Has NFL experience) but seem like he can't put it together. He missed on some top tier kids but also have brought in some talent. Just not enough.

At the end of the day he is a Cane and great teacher in my eyes with flaws in recruiting.

Advertisement
I don’t think this much rumph dialogue is even necessary. You can do far worse than mike rumph I promise you can. Two things can be true however. He can be a good coach and a not so good recruiter but we also have Patke (who I thought would have been better than he is but I’m a Texas guy) who doesn’t really contribute anything.

Advertisement
Why does Rumph get banged for Surtain, Campbell, Jobe and Stevenson when the word is they all took money to go to other schools? What is a recruiter supposed to do when kids are taking bags from other schools.. if it's true that's what they did. It seems like he's in a catch 22. What are you gonna sell a kid when teams that are in the playoffs are willing to pay them? How is Rumph supposed to overcome that?

Whoever asked me that coaching question before I'd simply like to state ladies and gentlemen of the jury I'd like to introduce to evidence example #1a
Is the Rumph/Banda dynamic set up where Banda makes up for Rumph’s recruiting shortcomings but Rumph makes up for some of Banda’s coaching weaknesses? Patke is the one I just can’t figure out. I’m not sure he has ever landed a recruit and the special teams were the worst I have ever seen. We will miss Shaq/Pinck’s leadership but I am excited to have a bit more athleticism at LB. I just hope Patke is able to bring these young guys along and develop them.

Here's the thing, you tend to be one of the more honest and fair people in your assessment of Rumph.

On the other hand, we have guys who just DESTROY Rumph. Guys who yap about where Rumph's guys are drafted (without noting that Rumph's recruiting and draft-outcome of his players is comparable to UM's overall). Rumph started coaching at UM in 2016.

Rumph's recruiting and talent in the passing defense:

2016 - UM's recruiting was not good (just got Rivals/247 4-star S Romeo Finley)
2017 - got a bit better (Rivals/247 4-star CB Trajan Bandy and 4-star transfer CB Jhavonte Dean)
2018 - was a lot better (Rivals/247 4-stars CB Frierson, S Hall, and CB Blades, and 247 4-star CB Ivey)
2019 - had lower numbers but we got a couple (Rivals/247 4-stars CB Williams & S Smith and 247 4-star CB Couch)
2020 - was great for quality and quantity (Rivals/247 4-stars S Harrell, CB Dunson, and S Williams and Rivals 4-star S Washington).

I realize those names include safeties, but there is some overlap, and if a coach was such a poisonous person and recruiter (see, generally, Greg Knox at UiF), you would expect to see guys transferring out in greater numbers.

Rumph's coaching:

2016 - #47 ranked passing defense (yards allowed per game) per NCAA
2017 - #56 ranked passing defense (yards allowed per game) per NCAA
2018 - #1 ranked passing defense (yards allowed per game) per NCAA
2019 - #18 ranked passing defense (yards allowed per game) per NCAA

Rumph's NFL draft results:

2017 - 5th round CB Corn Elder (coached by Rumph for 1 year)
2017 - 7th round CB Adrian Colbert (coached by Rumph for 1 year)
2017 - Miami had 9 total draftees: 1 first-rounder (TE Njoku), 1 fourth-rounder (S Jenkins), 2 fifth-rounders, 2 sixth-rounders, 3 seventh-rounders
2018 - no DBs drafted
2018 - Miami had 6 total draftees: 1 third-rounder (DE Thomas), 2 fourth-rounders (TE Herndon, RB Walton), 1 fifth-rounder, 1 sixth-rounder, 1 seventh-rounder
2019 - 5th round CB Mike Jackson (coached by Rumph for 3 years)
2019 - 6th round CB Jaquan Jackson (coached by Rumph for 3 years)
2019 - Miami had 5 total draftees: 1 fourth-rounder (S Redwine), 2 fifth-rounders, and 2 sixth-rounders
2020 - no DBs drafted
2020 - Miami had 4 total draftees: 2 fourth-rounders (LB Quaterman, RB Dallas), 1 fifth-rounder, 1 seventh-rounder
--------4 CBs drafted out of 24 total draftees from 2017-2020 (plus 2 safeties)

I'm not evaluating this on the basis of "Rumph is a Cane" or "Rumph is the devil" biases. Looking purely at the stats and objective evidence, it looks like:

---Rumph is not the greatest recruiter, but the last 2+ years for talent (even if he is not the lead recruiter) have gone better than the first 2 years
---Rumph, as a person, is not disliked by his players (in the form of transfers out) and his reputation has not "run off" all blue-chip kids, though we certainly appear to have lost some 4-star/5-star talent in the first 2 years
---Rumph, as a coach, has produced good statistical results, with the last 2 years being better than the first 2 years
---Rumph, as a developer, has coached 4 drafted CBs (2 Round 5s, a 6, and a 7) during a time when Miami has had 24 players drafted; and of the 24 players drafted, only 8 went in rounds above all the CBs (Rounds 1-4) and 2 of those were safeties (and 2 were TEs and 2 were RBs)
---Rumph, overall, when recruiting, coaching, and developing the passing defense, is producing better results than QB, OL, WR, DL, LB, and K/P position groups, and is on a par with RB and TE position groups.

But, hey, even in the face of all of that objective data, we are still going to have people screaming to "Fire Rumph" and telling us about all those CBs that we missed out on 4 years ago.

Oh, and let's not pretend like all these safeties are coming to UM to be position-coached by Banda.

Agree w everything u said, except JJ was a S, not a CB.

Advertisement
Back