“If I can get paid to go to UM, why would I go to Alabama” - TY Hilton

Advertisement
The state and impact of NIL for sure. Every year will be a **** show. Who’s leaving and who’s staying. I don’t think we lost players to the portal because they were going in to a decrease in money to no money. Maybe we should remove the U on the helmet and replace it with $

Bags are crucial for consistent success, but coaches and players still gotta get it done.

Fisher had the best recruiting classes money could buy and went 10-13 in the SEC his last three seasons.
There's some sort of lesson in that. I don't know what it is. But I think Mario's recruiting can overcome his coaching and development shortcomings.

Advertisement
The state and impact of NIL for sure. Every year will be a **** show. Who’s leaving and who’s staying. I don’t think we lost players to the portal because they were going in to a decrease in money to no money. Maybe we should remove the U on the helmet and replace it with $
No a D$

Advertisement
Agreed. But there will be kids like Brandon Innis who are rightfully less concerned about NIL and more concerned about NFL contracts; so ultimately, we gotta do better in the W-L department and in development.
Yup working out great for him currently… bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

There's some sort of lesson in that. I don't know what it is. But I think Mario's recruiting can overcome his coaching and development shortcomings.
I don't know. Mario hasn't proven he can beat teams he already has a decided talent advantage over.

What's to learn from Jimbo? Talent alone doesn't get the job done. You have to coach it up, and put it in the right position to make plays that lead to winning games. So far, Mario has not shown he can do that. Building a roster is not the same thing as building a winner. This is my biggest concern with him.

Our 2001 team is a good example of what happens when you build it right. Butch Davis built a monster so dominant, a coaching staff full of first timers could win a title with it. They were disciplined, talented, and hard working. They did things right. Not simply because they were more talented, but because they were better coached. I have yet to look at a Mario team and say, "They look better coached than the other team." That concerns me.

Here's hoping that starts to change this year.

I don't know. Mario hasn't proven he can beat teams he already has a decided talent advantage over.

What's to learn from Jimbo? Talent alone doesn't get the job done. You have to coach it up, and put it in the right position to make plays that lead to winning games. So far, Mario has not shown he can do that. Building a roster is not the same thing as building a winner. This is my biggest concern with him.

Our 2001 team is a good example of what happens when you build it right. Butch Davis built a monster so dominant, a coaching staff full of first timers could win a title with it. They were disciplined, talented, and hard working. They did things right. Not simply because they were more talented, but because they were better coached. I have yet to look at a Mario team and say, "They look better coached than the other team." That concerns me.

Here's hoping that starts to change this year.
Didn't he beat Ohio St with Oregon in Columbus?

Advertisement
Yup working out great for him currently… bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Sure. But that's not the point. We need to be able to appeal to the more mature or intelligent recruits who look beyond NIL and are looking at NFL draft results. Because at the end of the day, NIL is great but an NFL contract is worth far more. All of these kids think they're NFL-bound; I am sure some kids look at NIL as a quick hit but not something that will provide long term security like an NFL contract.

Advertisement
Sure. But that's not the point. We need to be able to appeal to the more mature or intelligent recruits who look beyond NIL and are looking at NFL draft results. Because at the end of the day, NIL is great but an NFL contract is worth far more. All of these kids think they're NFL-bound; I am sure some kids look at NIL as a quick hit but not something that will provide long term security like an NFL contract.
Sure. But someone should remind the individual that not everyone makes the league or more importantly that second NFL contract. To navigate through all of those things including injury concerns leaves a lot to chance

Besides if your talented you will get drafted wherever you go let’s be real…

Sure. But someone should remind the individual that not everyone makes the league or more importantly that second NFL contract. To navigate through all of those things including injury concerns leaves a lot to chance

Besides if your talented you will get drafted wherever you go let’s be real…
If Mario can't win, there won't be donors or NIL money to disperse. I agree with TY but ultimately, that's a short-term fix. You can't sell kids on NIL and potential forever.

Advertisement
Back