“Australian Punt”

Footy players kick the ball around from the time they are young, same like Americans dribble a basketball. The average footy player in Melbourne could walk on to most programs and compete for, if not win the job. Oh ****, a bad snap, no problem. They are trained to pick up a bouncing football and get rid of it as soon as possible. Running and kicking? Yeah, that's what they do. 4th and 3 on the opponent 45? Might as well set up the run/punt option for the punter. There are 6'4 beasts that run 4'6 forties that can kick or run. I won't even get into the finesse kicking/grip types/drops that are perfected over years of playing.

There are times when we are backed up inside our 20 where the strongest leg should be punting. But, there are times when we are near mid field that finesse and accuracy should be utilized, with the option to run for it on 4th and short depending on the punter's instincts.

Shout out to 6'11 Mason Cox. American that had 100,000 Aussies chanting "USA" during the Grand Final last year.

Mason Cox.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Well Melbourne is pretty much the Mecca of Aussie rules in Australia. I’m sure he had an awesome time.

We just don’t have the volume of players on a world level or the international exposure. It’s big here tho.
All I got out of it was a Magpies shirt.

Advertisement
Who is confused and not getting it straight?
The game announcers that call it a Rugby punt. You have a former Aussie Rules player kicking Aussie Rules style, and the announcer calls it a Rugby kick. It seems like straight up ignorance considering all the money spent by the networks.

Just watched some highlights of a Geelong match. No clue what was going on, but was interesting. As you guys mentioned, Lots of kicking talent. Liked a score where the guy drilled a punt like into the upper deck,,, could see DJ Dallas doing that after a TD run.lol Can you imagine an Australian team of multiple Feagles and Spicers running around shanking kicks into the stands?😂

Advertisement
Just watched some highlights of a Geelong match. No clue what was going on, but was interesting. As you guys mentioned, Lots of kicking talent. Liked a score where the guy drilled a punt like into the upper deck,,, could see DJ Dallas doing that after a TD run.lol Can you imagine an Australian team of multiple Feagles and Spicers running around shanking kicks into the stands?😂
Watch Buddy Franklin highlights. The biggest freak in the league. 6'5 and fast. Kicks 70 meter goals. Watch at 30 seconds. These type of players can be incorporated into the game plan and change the game. Compare this to Feagles on 4th down. Basically, you can put RBs that are professional kickers, that can run and kick at the same time --- as your punter.

Last edited:
Watch Buddy Franklin highlights. The biggest freak in the league. 6'5 and fast. Kicks 70 meter goals. Watch at 30 seconds. These type of players can be incorporated into the game plan and change the game. Compare this to Feagles on 4th down. Basically, you can put RBs that are professional kickers, that can run and kick at the same time --- as your punter.

Thanks, I will definitely check out his highlights👍

...Basically, you can put RBs that are professional kickers, that can run and kick at the same time --- as your punter.

This.

I believe the evolution of just adding more "runners" on the field at all times continues.

At this rate, future defenses will have to account for the equipment manager.

Last edited:
This.

I believe the evolution of just adding more "runners" on the field at all times continues.

At this rate, future defensed will have to account for the equipment manager.

We laugh at it now, but people were also laughing at the idea of turning basketball players into TEs. TEs that don't block? Waste of a position- make them WRs instead. Now bball players are the norm. Wouldn't be surprised if there is an evolution in punting and fast athletic rugby style punters are given the freedom to run for first downs on 4th and short situations (as long as they can still the punt away if a defender takes away the outside)

Advertisement
We laugh at it now, but people were also laughing at the idea of turning basketball players into TEs. TEs that don't block? Waste of a position- make them WRs instead. Now bball players are the norm. Wouldn't be surprised if there is an evolution in punting and fast athletic rugby style punters are given the freedom to run for first downs on 4th and short situations (as long as they can still the punt away if a defender takes away the outside)

I believe we are already seeing it in Seattle with ****son.

Will Richt do the same with Hedley?

Advertisement
Back