“Australian Punt”

Man, I’m just trying to have fun during this depressing season.
What’s fun, is all the free saturdays I will have next year. Things don’t change, I’m not wasting my time anymore. Tired of this coaching staff(minus the defense) ruining my saturdays. Been following my Canes for 30 years and don’t think I’ve been this disheartened. The changes that need to be made are so clear, but for some reason the ones that can make the changes won’t.

Advertisement
Australian rules football use to watch it late night on espn back in the 80s.when espn was like our team worth watching.

Advertisement
When they realized there was no scholarship punter who could kick the ball in the air more than 30 yards without it going completely sideways, they changed up the game plan. When they're deep in their own territory, they have Spicer kick it rugby style. The low bouncing style not only has a chance to ricochet off an opponent but is also hard to field cleanly. Meaning opponents often will just let it roll and not get any return. When they're closer to mid-field or on the opponent's side, they use Feagles' more traditional directional punting.

One of the biggest differences in the Pitt game versus most of the games Miami lost was improved punting. Pitt was often starting drives inside their own 20- yard line instead of near mid field. Most people ignore the field position game but when you have a really good defense and a really bad offense it's the difference between winning and losing.
The field position game is a huge factor and it was a major mistake on the part of the coaches last year not to recruit a top flight punter. We have been giving way too many short fields to opponents (which is insane & totally unnecessary). They have to fix this by recruiting a top flight punter. We always had great punters during the 80s, 90s and 00s (Kalal, Feagles Sr and many others). While we were never as explicit as Frank Beamer at Va Tech about the critical importance of special teams, we low key used to suffocate opponents through:

1) Awesome coverage units that would severely limit return yardage & knock the snot out of returners (remember guys like the great Jessie Armstead flying down the field as a freshman ready to decapitate the return guy -- those were the days)
2) Blocking FGs - which we used to do much more frequently than we have the last decade
3) Having tremendous hang time on punts (which combined with very solid distance) and great coverage teams led to minimal return yardage
4) Having some of the best return men in the history of CFB (and subsequently the NFL). Devin Hester (GOAT) used to devastate opponents. Buchanan was also awesome as a punt returner. We haven't had an electric return man for a long time. We need to get back to that
5) Having place kickers with ice running through their veins (Carlos Huerta was money in clutch situations and so were many other great Hurricane kickers)

Great special teams play can demoralize opponents and lead to literally suffocating them in every phase of the game. It is critically important. We need to get back to that. The serious punting issues must be fixed prior to signing day or it will cost us heavily next year again.

When they realized there was no scholarship punter who could kick the ball in the air more than 30 yards without it going completely sideways, they changed up the game plan. When they're deep in their own territory, they have Spicer kick it rugby style. The low bouncing style not only has a chance to ricochet off an opponent but is also hard to field cleanly. Meaning opponents often will just let it roll and not get any return. When they're closer to mid-field or on the opponent's side, they use Feagles' more traditional directional punting.

One of the biggest differences in the Pitt game versus most of the games Miami lost was improved punting. Pitt was often starting drives inside their own 20- yard line instead of near mid field. Most people ignore the field position game but when you have a really good defense and a really bad offense it's the difference between winning and losing.

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with this style of punting in light of our weakness there. If anything, I kinda have to give the coaches credit for coming up with something in an attempt to address a major weakness. I'm sure everyone would love big, booming 55 yard punts with loads of hang time, but the punters we have on the roster simply can't do that. In fact, when they try to do that, they end up with 15 yard shanks. Instead of making Feagles and Spicer try to do something they have shown no ability to do, have them manufacture yards with those weird ugly duck punts. I never claimed those punts look pretty, but they have been more effective.

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with this style of punting in light of our weakness there. If anything, I kinda have to give the coaches credit for coming up with something in an attempt to address a major weakness. I'm sure everyone would love big, booming 55 yard punts with loads of hang time, but the punters we have on the roster simply can't do that. In fact, when they try to do that, they end up with 15 yard shanks. Instead of making Feagles and Spicer try to do something they have shown no ability to do, have them manufacture yards with those weird ugly duck punts. I never claimed those punts look pretty, but they have been more effective.

Exactly. I'll take some crappy bouncing punt that travels 40 yards with no return over a shank that goes 15 yards out of bounds every day of the week. It's a joke that Miami has to rely on gimicky punting but you have to play the hand you're dealt. Feagles was very highly regarded as a high school recruit, he just crapped his pants when he went to college.

Advertisement
Agree...and neither does staff or everyone else who says thats we’re doing. So how bout you take five minutes and educate the masses?

I played semi-pro rugby in Cali with former All Blacks (Haka!) and places around the world, but by no means an expert.

Here goes...

There are really two types of kicks in rugby/aussie rules that apply to American football: punts and drop kicks. Actually a third, but more on that in a moment.

Punts are the same as football. Drop ball and kick it before it hits the ground and watch it go far. Easy for most except Miami punters.

Drop kicks result in same as punts, but the ball is dropped to the ground where it bounces and then kicked. Think of the on-end ball bounce setting it up just like a field goal try/kickoff. Not easy for most, as much art as science, but if you get a hold of one, they can go some diatance, but less hang time as traditional punt (think angles of attack of your foot and ball direction of travel). Impossible for Miami punters, I mean come the f[]ck on.

The third I mentioned above is the grubber/chipper. Those have technically two different purposes in rugby/aussie rules. What they are applicable to (especially chipper) in football is the onside kick. The big exception is not using a tee. I think football kickoffs are required to use a tee (wrong/right?), so there is a key difference. In my opinion, a chipper has more of a chance to pop up into waiting arms of players than the wtf was that freak show you see 99% from a tee.

How kicks are used in rugby/aussie rules are similar but also very different than football. Topic for another day.

If Headley is even an average Rugby League/Aussie Rules as has been claimed, then Miami should have the overall most capable punter in the ACC next season.

He has to PROVE it.

I played semi-pro rugby in Cali with former All Blacks (Haka!) and places around the world, but by no means an expert.

Here goes...

There are really two types of kicks in rugby/aussie rules that apply to American football: punts and drop kicks. Actually a third, but more on that in a moment.

Punts are the same as football. Drop ball and kick it before it hits the ground and watch it go far. Easy for most except Miami punters.

Drop kicks result in same as punts, but the ball is dropped to the ground where it bounces and then kicked. Think of the on-end ball bounce setting it up just like a field goal try/kickoff. Not easy for most, as much art as science, but if you get a hold of one, they can go some diatance, but less hang time as traditional punt (think angles of attack of your foot and ball direction of travel). Impossible for Miami punters, I mean come the f[]ck on.

The third I mentioned above is the grubber/chipper. Those have technically two different purposes in rugby/aussie rules. What they are applicable to (especially chipper) in football is the onside kick. The big exception is not using a tee. I think football kickoffs are required to use a tee (wrong/right?), so there is a key difference. In my opinion, a chipper has more of a chance to pop up into waiting arms of players than the wtf was that freak show you see 99% from a tee.

How kicks are used in rugby/aussie rules are similar but also very different than football. Topic for another day.

If Headley is even an average Rugby League/Aussie Rules as has been claimed, then Miami should have the overall most capable punter in the ACC next season.

He has to PROVE it.
Thanks for taking the time to explain. More complex than I imagined...as you mention, I can see where there really is an art to it. I think I’ll try to find some Aussie Football video to check it out. I’m really hoping the new punter next year is good...sounds like a good chance. Thanks again👍🙌

Watch Michael Dixson, Punter for Seahawks.

Aussie Pro Kick alumni. I think he played at UT?

Arguably best overall punter in NFL.

If he lasts, maybe ever (yes, even better than Ray Guy).

Advertisement
Being Australian, i take punting seriously and I take this notion offensively.
What we have seen this year is definitely not Australian...and it can barely be called punting.
To be fair our punters are about on par with Anything Australian...

So basically pure horse ****.

To be fair our punters are about on par with Anything Australian...

So basically pure horse ****.

Kia Ora douchebag.
Interesting, especially coming from a kiwi.
Our horse **** is still more valuable than anything you guys have produced...except hobbiton.

How are the sheep by the way? Better than ur cricket team

I joke...but not really

The NFL and College are recruiting Australian Rules Football players as punters, not Rugby. Get it straight. Two entirely different sports.

Advertisement
The NFL and College are recruiting Australian Rules Football players as punters, not Rugby. Get it straight. Two entirely different sports.

100% correct. I hate the “rugby style” reference. The balls are different, the desired outcome is different. They are different sports.
All the prokick guys are Aussie rules background. So Mitch wishnowski at Utah, ****son at Texas last year and Aaron sippos, James Smith at cincy. Michael sleep-dalton at ASU. All ex Aussie rules guys.
They have better control, more accuracy etc.
we have thousands of guys down here that could walk into a college team if they wanted too.
**** even I used to be able to kick 55 metres off of one step.
The resource is starting to get tapped into...finally

Too bad Australian Rule football isn’t more wide spread. It’s a great game and highly entertaining. My son lived in Melbourne for 9 months and loved footy.

Too bad Australian Rule football isn’t more wide spread. It’s a great game and highly entertaining. My son lived in Melbourne for 9 months and loved footy.

Well Melbourne is pretty much the Mecca of Aussie rules in Australia. I’m sure he had an awesome time.

We just don’t have the volume of players on a world level or the international exposure. It’s big here tho.

Interviewer: so Mork that rugby style punt you used that drilled the defensive player and allowed for a recovery. Was that a planned austalian style punt"

Mork: Australian style?? *mork pauses to think*
tenor.gif

Yah that is exactly what we planned to do the entire time. Isn't it great when the whole team executes.

Advertisement
Back