“Australian Punt”

gatorsSUCK!

Sophomore
As we know, our punters kick knuckleballs/shanks/line drives that are airborne for, Ill be generous, 20 yards, and roll up to 20 yards. Now we recently found out this was supposedly being taught and labeled as “Australian”? Seems to me they came up w a damage control back story to conceal the staffs ineptness of even being able to produce a D1 caliber punter. Onside punt? Right. Like they hired The Liar from old SNL for that one. “Bad punting? , no it’s..its..its Australian punting, ya, that’s the ticket. Australian punting...its all the rage, ya that’s it..Ya, Mike Westhoff told me about it, ya that’s it.” I wouldn’t be surprised if we drill one into the Olines *** during the bowl game. On another note, we’ve done two onside kicks the last two years..one returned for TD, the other a long return..anyone know the combined return yardage and average of the two? Has to be some kind of onside kick record. Glad they fixed that after last year...not

Advertisement
As we know, our punters kick knuckleballs/shanks/line drives that are airborne for, Ill be generous, 20 yards, and roll up to 20 yards. Now we recently found out this was supposedly being taught and labeled as “Australian”? Seems to me they came up w a damage control back story to conceal the staffs ineptness of even being able to produce a D1 caliber punter. Onside punt? Right. Like they hired The Liar from old SNL for that one. “Bad punting? , no it’s..its..its Australian punting, ya, that’s the ticket. Australian punting...its all the rage, ya that’s it..Ya, Mike Westhoff told me about it, ya that’s it.” I wouldn’t be surprised if we drill one into the Olines *** during the bowl game. On another note, we’ve done two onside kicks the last two years..one returned for TD, the other a long return..anyone know the combined return yardage and average of the two? Has to be some kind of onside kick record. Glad they fixed that after last year...not
Pardon me while i finish sexing w Morgan Fairchild..... yea, that’s the ticket. Morgan Fairchild.

Of all the things to complain about...switching our punting style which immediately has improved our punt unit is one of them?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Wow! If that's true they are really bold to go that route. ST's was horrible from top to bottom! I've seen the punter actually kick the point of the football and can't understand why his foot isn't broken! I don't think they are kicking balls like that in Australia!

Last edited:
Well, it did lead to a turnover this season and it's definitely better than shanking it out of bounds after 5 yards.

I'd say why we are punting is more of a concern than how.

Advertisement
I’m looking forward to the new new punter too. Maybe these line drives are better than five yard shanks.

Advertisement
The Australian Punt

Where you purposely kick the ball at some guys *** 20 yds down field, hoping he doesn't see the ball coming, and you create a turn over.

Figures that’s what caused part of the issues on ST’s. Shank punting versus you know the punting the kid has learned the entirety of his young football career. Makes complete sense to change the kids punting style to something we found on YouTube. Because that’s great coaching folks!

When they realized there was no scholarship punter who could kick the ball in the air more than 30 yards without it going completely sideways, they changed up the game plan. When they're deep in their own territory, they have Spicer kick it rugby style. The low bouncing style not only has a chance to ricochet off an opponent but is also hard to field cleanly. Meaning opponents often will just let it roll and not get any return. When they're closer to mid-field or on the opponent's side, they use Feagles' more traditional directional punting.

One of the biggest differences in the Pitt game versus most of the games Miami lost was improved punting. Pitt was often starting drives inside their own 20- yard line instead of near mid field. Most people ignore the field position game but when you have a really good defense and a really bad offense it's the difference between winning and losing.

Advertisement
Back