Feedback on the Jamal Carter targeting penalty?

TemplarCane

A Real One
Premium
Has anyone read any comments in the media about the Jamal Carter targeting penalty? It seemed like a bad call to me. Carter clearly used his shoulder to hit the FSU receiver in the chest.

Advertisement
Two good examples in this game regarding targeting:

1. Matthew Thomas - That's why the rule is in place. He headhunted our defensless QB, smashed him helmet to helmet, and was rightfully kicked out of the game. *******.

2. Jamal Carter - This is where the rule sucks, or at least the referees trying to err on the side of caution trying to enforce it. Carter hit used his shoulder and hit the WR in the chest. Not to mention the WR is small, so Carter did particularly well to get low enough. But basically, if it's a hard hit (read: if you blast someone) and you're anywhere close to the upper part of the guy, there's a good chance you get hosed. And Carter got hosed. That was a great hit.

Richt said, in essence, on WQAM, that he did not believe that Targeting was properly applied in Carter's situation. He believes that Carter hit the guy as they coach it so he can't be mad at him.

He was trying to find out whether the review decision was made by the replay official in the booth in the building or by an official in the ACC office.

1. Matthew Thomas - That's why the rule is in place. He headhunted our defensless QB, smashed him helmet to helmet, and was rightfully kicked out of the game. *******.

2. Jamal Carter - This is where the rule sucks, or at least the referees trying to err on the side of caution trying to enforce it. Carter hit used his shoulder and hit the WR in the chest. Not to mention the WR is small, so Carter did particularly well to get low enough. But basically, if it's a hard hit (read: if you blast someone) and you're anywhere close to the upper part of the guy, there's a good chance you get hosed. And Carter got hosed. That was a great hit.

I thought it was clean, hard hit.

I just watched the highlight on ESPN.

No helmet-to-helmet contact, and Carter did not leave his feet.

Advertisement
Mike and Mike were talking about it this am (about the rule itself) and said the call against carter was horrible

Richt said, in essence, on WQAM, that he did not believe that Targeting was properly applied in Carter's situation. He believes that Carter hit the guy as they coach it so he can't be mad at him.

He was trying to find out whether the review decision was made by the replay official in the booth in the building or by an official in the ACC office.

I would bet ACC replay official Joe Ryder made the call. Big FSU fan kids graduated from there and one was the local FSU booster president. He always has our UM FSU game and I think the ACC needs to stop this crap. I want out of the ACC. Richt is learning just how bad the refs are in this conference and how much they want UM down.

This is why I was never in favor of the targeting rule
I get what they are trying to do but it's such a slippery slope. They made some changes to it this year but still more needs to be done. Now Carter has to sit out the first half this Saturday too over a bad call if I'm not mistaken?

Advertisement
No ******* way should they have called it as "stands". You either confirm it or admit you were wrong and pick it up. With all the replay angles they had with nothing blocking their view...no way should they have been allowed to say it stands.

There were a lot of sh¡tty calls and no calls, been seeing some no call holds for FSU right in the middle of the play unreal

The targeting penalty ****es me off but what really gets to me is when Walton makes one of the best runs I've ever seen and they take it back on an absurd holding call. All that happened was they locked arms nothing else. And the holding on Corn when Whitfield had the TD it almost looked like the reciever grabbed Corn by the back of the jersey and brought him down but nothing was called. That **** ****es me off.

ACC still mad bout the Dookie game last year. They sent this ref crew down to hard rock on a mission.

Advertisement

I thought it was clean, hard hit.

I just watched the highlight on ESPN.

No helmet-to-helmet contact, and Carter did not leave his feet.

it was a text book play....he didn't lunge helmet first into him...he squared his shoulder to hit thump the guy in his chest...it was a clean hit...the receiver wasn't defenseless as he had the ball in his hands coming across the middle. I'm all for player safety, but football is a contact sport. It wasn't a late hit and he wasn't head hunting. He went for the shoulder chest area and made the contact to prevent a big play from happening.

Advertisement
It was a ******* bs call and everybody on the field, in the stands and at home knew it.

ACC always has an agenda

Carter was targeting, he just missed

Why don't you go back and watch it. He turns away before making contact. If he was trying, the crown of his helmet would have cracked him right in the mouth.

Exactly. If Carter wanted to cripple that cat, he would've. Carter could've ended dudes season if this was back in 2004. He clearly was trying to make a solid defensive play w/o violating the targeting rule.

The targeting penalty ****es me off but what really gets to me is when Walton makes one of the best runs I've ever seen and they take it back on an absurd holding call. All that happened was they locked arms nothing else. And the holding on Corn when Whitfield had the TD it almost looked like the reciever grabbed Corn by the back of the jersey and brought him down but nothing was called. That **** ****es me off.

Whenever a player passes your shoulder as a defensive player, and you are being pulled away w/ your jersey in hand, there's a 99.8% chance that you are being held. It was one of the most egregious blown calls simply b/c the referee was right on the side line on top of the play.

When this is not holding but the Walton play was, you have to know better than to let the game be close enough for the officials to make a difference

penalty 2.jpg

Advertisement
Back