Official Womens Basketball Head Coach (Tricia Cullop official)

Advertisement
He's from Miami. Started his coaching career not too far (St. Brendan) from the UM campus before going to Barry and then to USF. Unless. something has changed over the last few years, the UM job has always been Jose's dream job.

Advertisement
Looking like it's going to be Karl Smesko from FGCU. Elite .840 winning % and .915 in conference and staple in the Women's NCAA tournament.

Won the ASUN regular season and/or conference tournament 15/17 years they've been in (14 years in a row now), finished 2nd the other 2 years, and they have made the NCAA tournament 11/13 years (including 2020 when it was canceled but they would have made it) that they have been eligible - since 2011 when they completed the D1 transition and cleared the waiting period for post season.

Probably the best hire the school has made since it hired L to coach Men's basketball. Hard to call someone an upgrade to Katie Meier but he's as close as you can get without poaching from one of the national powers.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Looking like it's going to be Karl Smesko from FGCU. Elite .840 winning % and .915 in conference and staple in the Women's NCAA tournament.

Won the ASUN regular season and/or conference tournament 14/16 years they've been in, 10/15 years they made the NCAA tournament (including 2020 when it was canceled but they would have made it)

Probably the best hire the school has made since it hired L to coach Men's basketball. Hard to call someone an upgrade to Katie Meyer but he's as close as you can get without poaching from one of the national powers.
Not going to pretend I’m super plugged into the women’s game but glancing over his career accolades this seems like it would be an absolute home run.

Not going to pretend I’m super plugged into the women’s game but glancing over his career accolades this seems like it would be an absolute home run.
I'm definitely not either but women's basketball is becoming more and more entertaining. I'd argue the women's tournament was the better TV this year with bigger story lines.

I'm just a sucker for a coaching search. Fun to follow them regardless of the sport.

I'm definitely not either but women's basketball is becoming more and more entertaining. I'd argue the women's tournament was the better TV this year with bigger story lines.

I'm just a sucker for a coaching search. Fun to follow them regardless of the sport.
Yeah I got into it a bit last year with the women’s team making their run and obviously the Clark and Reese stories, and I’ve caught some games this year as well. Separating it from the men’s game makes it an easier watch, just two different games, but the difference in the number of teams that run good sets every time down the floor is astounding.

Won the ASUN regular season and/or conference tournament 15/17 years they've been in (14 years in a row now), finished 2nd the other 2 years, and they have made the NCAA tournament 11/13 years (including 2020 when it was canceled but they would have made it) that they have been eligible - since 2011 when they completed the D1 transition and cleared the waiting period for post season.

Probably the best hire the school has made since it hired L to coach Men's basketball. Hard to call someone an upgrade to Katie Meyer but he's as close as you can get without poaching from one of the national powers.
As far as I'm concerned, this was the first true test of a hire that Rad has had to make at Miami (I'm not putting the baseball shenanigans on him) and I'd be very pleased if this is ultimately who he lands

Advertisement
As far as I'm concerned, this was the first true test of a hire that Rad has had to make at Miami (I'm not putting the baseball shenanigans on him) and I'd be very pleased if this is ultimately who he lands

Why would he get a pass for baseball?

Advertisement

Probably the best hire the school has made since it hired L to coach Men's basketball. Hard to call someone an upgrade to Katie Meier but he's as close as you can get without poaching from one of the national powers.

Never heard of him so I had to check his resume.
Very impressive.
Basically, he has consistently won everywhere he has worked.
Look at the bio below. It's how a resume for a prospective UM coach should read.
Thanks for the heads-up Jay!

Advertisement
Back