Coaching Wisconsin spurns Leonhard, hiring Fickell as HC

CaneThang2020

Senior
ESPN has confirmed that Wisconsin is hiring Luke Fickell. Interesting because just a couple weeks ago it was all but done for interim coach/longtime DC Jim Leonhard was landing the job permanently.

Wonder if Jim Leonhard stays on or if he feels disrespected by the Badgers. If he does....wonder if Mario makes the call. I'm not high on Steele remaining as DC

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
What type of bass defense does Wisconsin run? 4-3 or 3-4? Or does it matter these days?
Bass Fishing GIF by Karl's Bait & Tackle

or
Geddy Lee Bass GIF by Jason Clarke

we don't know yet. Being in Wisconsin, it can be either or both. We'll see though.

Advertisement
We already have two DC's. If one wants to bounce, you keep the other one, unless we believe they won't improve our D, and then you go back to the drawing board.

Just a gut feeling. Leonhard is a excellent X and O guy but seems like he is not good at recruiting. With Wisky giving him a try out and moving on this fast means they saw some things that were a red flag for him becoming the HC.

Luke Fickell is a steal and great hire.

Advertisement
Watch Saban come in and hire Leonhard as an analyst/DC in waiting. If Leonhard has HC aspirations, Saban can almost guarantee him that if he comes to work for him.

As other posters have mentioned, Mario should call him and make him say no. Only person that would lose on this would be Steele....whom isn't exactly the most loyal guy in the world lol.

This is an odd decision. I wonder how many members of his current staff he'll be bringing with him. The players were campaigning hard for Leonhard too. This seems like its the type of scenario, combined with the portal, that usually has players bailing and/or causes problems with who's left.

Advertisement
Lol didn't Fickell say he was turning down Norte Dame earlier because he said he wanted to stay with Cincinnati for life, now he's going to a low Wisconsin program lol
I read he didn’t want to leave during the CFP run. Thought ND would wait and they didn’t, so he adjusted his timeline this coaching carousel. Either way he’s only gonna stay there as long as Day stays at OSU.

Advertisement
Back