Coaching What to expect now that Mario is back?

Advertisement
Idk about all that. Dabo has a 131-21 record since 2011 with 7 Conference Championships and Two National championships, a bad season for them is usually 10-2. If we can consistently go 9-3/10-2 under Mario I'll be happy

Those might be realistic expectations for the first two or three years, but not long-term.

But I get it.

As long as Bama stays on top and Miami doesn’t challenge them, you’re happy.

Idk about all that. Dabo has a 131-21 record since 2011 with 7 Conference Championships and Two National championships, a bad season for them is usually 10-2. If we can consistently go 9-3/10-2 under Mario I'll be happy
You don't know about all what?

What reason does Clemson have to be able to go 10 wins for 11 straight years that we don't?

Advertisement
You don't know about all what?

What reason does Clemson have to be able to go 10 wins for 11 straight years that we don't?

Feel like you're definitely setting your expectations to high. Do you realize there are a ton of schools with resources the same as Clemson that never end up doing much. Texas, Tennessee,Texas AM, South Carolina, Michigan and a lot more. Just because we have Clemson resources doesn't mean it's a guarantee we have Clemson level success. Let's give Mario a couple years and see what happens before we start saying things like we will be the next Clemson.

Feel like you're definitely setting your expectations to high. Do you realize there are a ton of schools with resources the same as Clemson that never end up doing much. Texas, Tennessee,Texas AM, South Carolina, Michigan and a lot more. Just because we have Clemson resources doesn't mean it's a guarantee we have Clemson level success. Let's give Mario a couple years and see what happens before we start saying things like we will be the next Clemson.
The next Clemson?

We're Miami! Clemson isn't near the program we can be.

Clemson has only had it's success because they've been running through a pathetic ACC for a decade besides a few good years for FSU. If Miami was up to our normal standards they would have had only half of their success over the last decade.

4 different coaches have won 5 national titles at Miami. Why wouldn't we expect the most experienced/decorated coach we've ever hired (besides Mark Richt who was obviously past his prime and didn't have half the resources Mario has) to have those results?

I feel like being happy with 9-3 and occasional 10-2 seasons is lowering your standards too low. As bad as we've been, we've been favored for 10 + wins a year many times over the last 2 decades. Mark Richt won 10 games 5 years ago with Malik Rosier at QB.

I'd be happy and expect 10-2 as our floor with ACCCG appearances, playoffs, and occasional natl titles. The coastal is trash and we should be in the ACCCG most seasons and competing with Clemson in the game for a playoff spot.

The next Clemson?

We're Miami! Clemson isn't near the program we can be.

Clemson has only had it's success because they've been running through a pathetic ACC for a decade besides a few good years for FSU. If Miami was up to our normal standards they would have had only half of their success over the last decade.

4 different coaches have won 5 national titles at Miami. Why wouldn't we expect the most experienced/decorated coach we've ever hired (besides Mark Richt who was obviously past his prime and didn't have half the resources Mario has) to have those results?

I feel like being happy with 9-3 and occasional 10-2 seasons is lowering your standards too low. As bad as we've been, we've been favored for 10 + wins a year many times over the last 2 decades. Mark Richt won 10 games 5 years ago with Malik Rosier at QB.

I'd be happy and expect 10-2 as our floor with ACCCG appearances, playoffs, and occasional natl titles. The coastal is trash and we should be in the ACCCG most seasons and competing with Clemson in the game for a playoff spot.
We haven't been the Miami you're referring to for 20 years. Not sure we can ever be that again but I definitely like your optimism

Advertisement
There is a great quote from a current player in the Athletic. I don't want to cut and paste, but it gets to the essence of the original question. The player says that the coaches can't be there all the time, so players need to learn what they are supposed to do when the coaches are watching, and then do that when they aren't.

It may take a bit, but we finally have a staff that understands the O-line drives the train, it keeps your D off the field. So I'm cautiously (not overly) optimistic - cause the Cookie Jar has slammed my fingers too many times since the Glory Days.

We still have to rely on some guys who are way overdue hitting their stride.

Mario has stated the Canes are going to work, work, work to be better on and off the field. I expect that now.

What a time to be apart of the Cane Family. There is support from A to Z. If you think about how long suffering we have been as Canes fans, now we get to appreciate the positive influences and differences that Mario has brought back to the U. The proof is in the pudding right? Mario, respectfully, the Mario we have today with today's support/environment and all of Mario's experiences would have gotten more out of the talent that has come through the past two decades under the other regimes. It really couldn't have happened at any other time either. Because I believe Mario will get more out of what he has I am optimistic about this year. What is an expectation you have for our Canes?
Mario has one of the best and most experienced coaching staff in college football. We will be a better football team now that seasoned pros are coaching every position. No experiments with new coaches who are going to learn on the job. We have so many former and future HC’s on this coaching staff.

When was the last time UM brought in a top ranked assistant coach like Gattis? I’ve been watching UM football since the early 80’s and I don’t remember ever hiring a Broyles award winner from another school, or recognition close to that UM was never the school offering a salary sufficient to take an OC from Michigan.

We have proven coaches at every position; many of whom are good recruiters and good at coaching. We have a LB coach was who was the head coach at University of Texas! We have an OL coach who is regarded in his profession as being very good and amongst the best in college football.
We are going to be 1-2 games better than last year from coaching alone.

Advertisement
Physicality is what I care about the most. I can’t remember the last time we exerted our will on an opponent.

ND 2017 got dominated at the LoS. FSU 2020 was fun to watch. We've also beaten Duke 95-10 combined in the last 2 years.

Make every play hurt, that’s what I wanna see. We will impose our will on the acc, we may not win as often as we like but we will not be a team other teams are looking forward to playing. A couple of years of this will have us in the driver seat. My hope and my take.

go canes.

Advertisement
2022 8-4 or better
2023 8-4 better
2023 and beyond 9-3 and better

I'm not expecting us to be a Top 5 program but the days of us going 7-5 or 6-6 need to be over. I expect us to be a Top 20 program whose off year is 8-4 and is in the running for a Playoff spot every 3 years or so.
You might want to check out on three. This is a winners board. The only goals should be to **** the prom queen & win national championships

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back