Coaching What to expect now that Mario is back?

I’d love for our team to come out and look like they’ve seen a football before. Mandy was especially good at making us look unprepared. As a bonus I’d love to for once be the more physical team vs P5 competition
Physicality is what I care about the most. I can’t remember the last time we exerted our will on an opponent.

Advertisement
One thing I expect is for the head scratching losses to mostly go away due to inconsistent performance.

It seemed like our last few coaches did not know which team was going to show up on Saturday and sometimes we'd come out guns blazing and blow out a pretty good team and sometimes we'd come out flat and be in a dogfight with a terrible team only to squeak it out or still lose in the end. I expect Mario to have his teams consistently performing at the talent level on the team which means we should win most of our ACC games pretty easily instead of going into a Duke or GT game and wondering "is this the one where we flop?" I'd expect to get to Clemson's level in the ACC pretty quickly where there's like 6 guaranteed conference wins on the schedule every year and only 1 or 2 dogfights.

Edit to clarify: I'm not talking about this year. I'm talking about once he has the roster situated right.
I used to hate when we got into a pre-game scuffle because you could always mark that down as a L.

That said, we came out flat most weeks anyway, so it was a fun change.

Mario has stated the Canes are going to work, work, work to be better on and off the field. I expect that now.

What a time to be apart of the Cane Family. There is support from A to Z. If you think about how long suffering we have been as Canes fans, now we get to appreciate the positive influences and differences that Mario has brought back to the U. The proof is in the pudding right? Mario, respectfully, the Mario we have today with today's support/environment and all of Mario's experiences would have gotten more out of the talent that has come through the past two decades under the other regimes. It really couldn't have happened at any other time either. Because I believe Mario will get more out of what he has I am optimistic about this year. What is an expectation you have for our Canes?
2022 8-4 or better
2023 8-4 better
2023 and beyond 9-3 and better

I'm not expecting us to be a Top 5 program but the days of us going 7-5 or 6-6 need to be over. I expect us to be a Top 20 program whose off year is 8-4 and is in the running for a Playoff spot every 3 years or so.

2022 8-4 or better
2023 8-4 better
2023 and beyond 9-3 and better

I'm not expecting us to be a Top 5 program but the days of us going 7-5 or 6-6 need to be over. I expect us to be a Top 20 program whose off year is 8-4 and is in the running for a Playoff spot every 3 years or so.
Clemson has gone 11 straight seasons with at least 10 wins. 11 straight.

They no longer have any advantages over us. If anything, we have multiple advantaged over them. Better recruiting area. Better national brand. Better history. There's no reason, once Mario builds us back up, we shouldn't expect the same. With the transfer portal, I expect to get back to 10 win seasons sooner than 3 years.

I'll say 9 wins this year, and 10 starting in 2023.

Advertisement

They no longer have any advantages over us. If anything, we have multiple advantaged over them. Better recruiting area. Better national brand. Better history. There's no reason, once Mario builds us back up, we shouldn't expect the same. With the transfer portal, I expect to get back to 10 win seasons sooner than 3 years.

Idk about all that. Dabo has a 131-21 record since 2011 with 7 Conference Championships and Two National championships, a bad season for them is usually 10-2. If we can consistently go 9-3/10-2 under Mario I'll be happy

Ok, but Clemson’s double digit season streak did not start in Dabo’s first year.

Physicality is what I care about the most. I can’t remember the last time we exerted our will on an opponent.
This right here. It seems like for the past 2 decades or so (wow typing that hit REALLY hard) we have not been as physical as most teams we played. Even in some games we won the other team was more physical. A lot of people talk about speed and rightfully so. I think we definitely NEED speed and should be a fast team but not a lot is talked about physicality. We need physicality just as much as we need speed.

If you watch games from our past glory days you will notice 2 things. The first thing you notice is the speed because it’s obvious and our team looks like they are running at a different speed then our opponents. The second thing you will notice is our physicality. We established the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and control the line of scrimmage. We would impose our will at the point of attack against our opponents. The Canes dictated how the game was being played due to our physicality. Then we would bust the game wide open with our speed.

Advertisement
Less miss tackles. And for the team to not give up after a loss and ruin the rest of the season

This right here. It seems like for the past 2 decades or so (wow typing that hit REALLY hard) we have not been as physical as most teams we played. Even in some games we won the other team was more physical. A lot of people talk about speed and rightfully so. I think we definitely NEED speed and should be a fast team but not a lot is talked about physicality. We need physicality just as much as we need speed.

If you watch games from our past glory days you will notice 2 things. The first thing you notice is the speed because it’s obvious and our team looks like they are running at a different speed then our opponents. The second thing you will notice is our physicality. We established the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and control the line of scrimmage. We would impose our will at the point of attack against our opponents. The Canes dictated how the game was being played due to our physicality. Then we would bust the game wide open with our speed.
The closest I can think is the game vs Va Tech where Duke went for almost 300 yards. Other than that this team always had a deer in headlights look.

Advertisement
The closest I can think is the game vs Va Tech where Duke went for almost 300 yards. Other than that this team always had a deer in headlights look.
True. I think the worst “loss” was the 2020 UNC game. They made us look like a pop warner team. They bullied us for 4 quarters. I can’t remember a game, either win or loss, where we were so out physicalled. The FIU loss was embarrassing asf but for me the UNC loss was the worst loss I can recall.

Advertisement
The OL, Run Game, TE’s & DL play will all be improved.

We’ll also consistently have a large group of Analysts, QC’s & GA’s under Mario’s tenure.
How big a factor do QCs and GAs play. I remember the big programs have armies of these dudes. But I don’t know what purpose they serve

Mario has stated the Canes are going to work, work, work to be better on and off the field. I expect that now.

What a time to be apart of the Cane Family. There is support from A to Z. If you think about how long suffering we have been as Canes fans, now we get to appreciate the positive influences and differences that Mario has brought back to the U. The proof is in the pudding right? Mario, respectfully, the Mario we have today with today's support/environment and all of Mario's experiences would have gotten more out of the talent that has come through the past two decades under the other regimes. It really couldn't have happened at any other time either. Because I believe Mario will get more out of what he has I am optimistic about this year. What is an expectation you have for our Canes?
Learn HOW to win.
More physicality
Be nice to win Coastal this year.
With all the realignment talk, for us to land on the best side of it. With Rad, Mario, etc , I believe it's possible.
If conference is the same next year, let's win an ACC title

IMO we'll be better prepared for matchups.
and we'll see more focus on controlling time of possession and closing out games.

Advertisement
Back