Official Week 1 Offensive, Defensive, Special Teams and Scout Team Players of the Game

HiveMind know-it-alls who think they're smarter than they really are.
We know what Flagg is and isn't at this point. Only time will tell how much staff really believes in him. Starting the first game tells me he had the best camp and they trust him. If he's starting come week 3 or 4 that means they believe in his ability.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ive said before and I'll say again. Flagg and Ivey are great kids, who will(hopefully)walk away from the University of Miami with degrees in their respective fields. That being said, they should see the field only in games like Saturday.

so did Mesidor. He lost contain twice. Cam had a pic and two forced fumbles the ofensive player got right back and I did not see him miss many tackles. Ivey missed a lot smh and Flagg missed two as well. Everyone misses tackles so they don’t judge on that unless you just missed them left and right.
The only player who missed more than one tackle was Kam Kinchens. That’s straight from PFF stats

Advertisement

200.gif

There was one play that stood out to me early in the game where Flagg blitzed right up the middle into a huge open lane and had the QB dead center, but the QB simply turned and ran away from Flagg and by the time their QB reached the line of scrimmage Flagg was so far away from him that Flagg started jogging (he knew he wouldn’t catch him). It went for a nice gain for BC.

Bissainthe, Caleb Johnson and Chase Smith would have had a sack easily, even K4 would have. Please go watch that play, it speaks volumes despite the fact that I like Flagg and initially advocated for him.

Here’s where I am with Flagg: he is slow and has a fixed ceiling. There are a few plays that demonstrated that on Saturday.

He also has a higher floor than some of the guys faster than him. If he didn't, those faster guys above him would be playing more than him, AND he would’ve missed more plays than he made on Saturday.

The truth is that his lack of speed ****es everyone off, but the guy is almost never out of position. I have to assume he understands how to play the position better than anyone else on the team.

Advertisement
After rewatching the defense wasn’t as bad as I thought on first watch.

I can understand why flagg got the player of the game, he had good reads and wasn’t out of place. I hope we put an athlete next to him, in a perfect world it’ll be chase but idk how far along he is. Steed is solid too but id like someone more dynamic to pair with flaggs iq. I would’ve added kam as a defensive player of the game list but I understand he had a penalty and a couple missed gambles so his grade probably lowered. Mesidor LT Jackson is a nice trio on the dline, i want to see who becomes that 4th guy, agude harvey chantz njalik roberts? Or maybe its a mixture of all of them

Please take ivey off the field. Idk if porter/dunson doesn’t know the playbook yet or whatever but man any team who knows what they’re doing is gonna attack him, not just directly with 1on1 stuff but they’ll run concepts at him and he’ll just be out of place.

Offense was efficient, oline an A in run blocking imo id say a B in pass blocking tho. Gattis isn’t the style of offense i prefer in Miami but for what he wants to do he’s great at it. Everything is ran with a purpose, the run game ties into the pass game, a concept u saw early in the game might turn into something else while looking the same. Gonna be fun seeing what he does week to week
Good take imo

Not sure why everyone had a meltdown on the blitz Flagg had. Don’t think Fred Warner could have made that play on the QB but whatever

Defense was solid but no one really stood out to me though Mesidor made some plays

So more a POTG for Flagg by default I guess. Didn’t seem to be playing a bad game, he’s just limited

Ivey on the other hand totally valid criticism. He was in position but didn’t make the plays

Advertisement
Here’s where I am with Flagg: he is slow and has a fixated ceiling. There are a few plays that demonstrated that on Saturday.

He also has a higher floor than some of the guys faster than him. If he wasn’t, those faster guys above him would be playing more than him, AND he would’ve missed more plays than he made on Saturday.

The truth is that his lack of speed ****es everyone off, but the guy is almost never out of position. I have to assume he understands how to play the position better than anyone else on the team.
The thing that bugs the **** out of me is when fans want to kick him out without providing a better alternative. Yes he has his limitations but what in God's name make smart, very experienced and well paid coaches play him over everybody else on the team? I just want to hear one reason from those fans who complain all the time, a reason that would make sense. I get smart a** answers like put me in as MLB and sh** like that. Maybe because they don't have anyone better?

Why would coaches play him? Just having a good camp is not enough reason. You don't risk losing games by rewarding players if you know they can't handle game situation. And if you are grey haired coach you should **** well know how to predict that.

Until someone else proves he is better for the job he will play and fans have to deal with it.

Last edited:
There was one play that stood out to me early in the game where Flagg blitzed right up the middle into a huge open lane and had the QB dead center, but the QB simply turned and ran away from Flagg and by the time their QB reached the line of scrimmage Flagg was so far away from him that Flagg started jogging (he knew he wouldn’t catch him). It went for a nice gain for BC.

Bissainthe, Caleb Johnson and Chase Smith would have had a sack easily, even K4 would have. Please go watch that play, it speaks volumes despite the fact that I like Flagg and initially advocated for him.
Which quarter/time?

Advertisement
Back