Washington transfer DB Mishael Powell commits to Canes

View as article
Now you’re going to force me to go and watch some WA games gotdammit. I assumed that as a starter for a championship team that Guidry wanted Powell was at least very good if not great. Maybe I just close my eyes and see no evil?

No one is Downs. Stop that.
I mean Washington’s D was considered buns it’s pac 12. It’s good for depth he’s probably smart and got some skills but I’m still worried about S. I want some super stars from HS this is the U man. It’s a decent pickup but I’m still look at Zaquan I think he got the whole package (pause) to be a better version of Kinchens he just needs to fill out. I hope someone steps up that we don’t talk about. I forgot I think Cribby brought up someone that’s jacked that I’m looking forward to seeing. Pause pause pause damnit

Advertisement
Think of him as a rich man's Jaden Davis that's about 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier. Will be an important part of our defense but impossible to compare him to Downs.
As long as he does the job and doesn’t bite like previous safeties. Got tired of hyper aggressive safeties but I get why those safeties had that habit. They never trusted the front seven under Diaz and rightfully so. So they developed bad habits. With this new front it should be easier for the back four to just do their jobs. And everything else will take care of itself. Playing the back four will be easier in the coming years.

I mean Washington’s D was considered buns it’s pac 12. It’s good for depth he’s probably smart and got some skills but I’m still worried about S. I want some super stars from HS this is the U man. It’s a decent pickup but I’m still look at Zaquan I think he got the whole package (pause) to be a better version of Kinchens he just needs to fill out. I hope someone steps up that we don’t talk about. I forgot I think Cribby brought up someone that’s jacked that I’m looking forward to seeing. Pause pause pause damnit
Kaleb Spencer.... apparently looks like a monster and moves really well.

Kaleb Spencer.... apparently looks like a monster and moves really well.
That was a big flip from Oklahoma for sure. A few of those guys a little down the list in 2023 I’m looking at this year. Pulliam, Spencer, Carver (maybe further down the road for him)

party dancing GIF

Advertisement
I see what you are saying I also know we need experience in that room. This was in an article David Lake wrote about him.

Two areas that Powell will need to improve year-over-year while at Miami: tackling consistency and consistency in coverage.

According to PFF, Powell’s missed tackle rate in 2023 was 25 percent, which is too high (an acceptable missed tackle rate for a safety hovers around 15 percent). Powell had tough tackling performances against Arizona, Utah, Oregon State, and Texas, finishing those games with a 50 percent missed tackle rate.

From a coverage standpoint, Powell also had a tough performance against Oregon in 2023. The Ducks targeted Powell ten times that game and the defensive back allowed nine receptions for 71 yards and one touchdown. Powell primarily played in the slot that game.
Washington's defense, as a whole, was poor tackling. Saying Powell was unwillingly to tackle may not be accurate, it could just be symptomatic of the coaching. The positive is that tackling is something that can be coached up, if players are willing.

Miami has addressed the biggest need on the roster with the commitment of Washington transfer DB Mishael Powell. Powell was a staple of the Husky secondary, starting 25 games over the last three years at cornerback, safety and nickel. This season, Powell led the Pac-12 champions with three INTs, including a game-winning 89-yard pick six against Arizona State and an interception against Oregon.

A Seattle native, Powell chose to join Washington as a walk-on despite receiving offers to play in the Ivy League. He earned a starting job at cornerback in 2021, and new coach Kalen DeBoer rewarded him with a scholarship. While he is expected to play safety for the Canes, the versatile 6'1, 210 Powell can play all over the secondary. I am told he looked every bit of his listed size on his visit.

The Canes had a dire need at the safety position after the departures of Kam Kinchens and James Williams. With the addition of Powell and Vanderbilt transfer Savion Riley, along with the return of Jaden Harris and Top 50 recruit Zaquan Patterson, Miami has solidified the room headed into spring. Powell's addition is the latest in a string of offseason hits for the Canes, as they signed the #4 high school class while filling huge holes at QB (Cam Ward, Reese Poffenbarger), C (Zach Carpenter), DT (CJ Clark, Marley Cook) and now safety.

Powell chose the Canes over the Gators, who had him in for a visit but failed to close the deal despite the hiring of his former coach.

Absolutely awesome

Advertisement
That’s the most readily available full game tape. It’s easy to look at the one highlight made that game on drive 1 (again, which was made as in the slot)

That same game based on the Oregon OL / Offense vs. Washington video

2:26- Gets flat footed when he’s relied upon for backside cleanup on Irving cut back

2:54- No effort to gang tackle behind the play

3:43- To olay, thankfully play was bottled up

Select examples but it’s all game. Watch the late TD they gave up to Holden in the PAC 12 title game as well. Maybe he was banged up, who knows. PFF certainly isn’t the Bible but it was shocking how poor his tackling grades were, and 30-45 min of watching solidifies it. Can be coached to an extent and would expect some uplift here, but some real bad habits if that’s what you’re asking of a modern safety. Slot guy, like I said different story.
The bullies will be out but thanks for input.

Advertisement
Looks like he can cover but cant tackle. Starter caliber grade on pff over his career but also almost 20% missed tackles. Take whatever starters they can get off playoff teams though.

What's @Memnon's take on this cat?
That's what I want to hear. And @Brooklyndee as well.

Personally I don't see a plug in starter who is better than everybody on the roster already.

I see a very versatile and smart guy that probably fits into Guidry's scheme perfectly but is gonna have to compete to start. I don't see him getting drafted but probably a practice squad type player in the NFL.

This is a big pickup for obvious on the field reasons. His versatility is also huge because it gives us flexibility to pursue either a CB or safety (best available that has interest) in the next portal window (assuming we are done for this window). If we land another safety, he can be our starting nickel. If we land a CB, he can start at safety.

I know the staff likes Porter, Brown and Richard (as do I), but CB is dangerously thin behind them as of now. I like Stafford, but I do not think he has played a snap yet. You then have Freeney and the true freshmen, neither of which is an EE.

Advertisement
That's what I want to hear. And @Brooklyndee as well.

Personally I don't see a plug in starter who is better than everybody on the roster already.

I see a very versatile and smart guy that probably fits into Guidry's scheme perfectly but is gonna have to compete to start. I don't see him getting drafted but probably a practice squad type player in the NFL.
Competition is what this is all about. His experience alone brings exactly what we need to the room. People like this help mold the rest of the rooms moving forward. I'd say in all likelihood he's as of now a 5th to 6th rounder with room to improve his stock. Most importantly our safety room prior to him was a weak spot on this team. At the very least he gives us stability to help transition to our youth. The known things he brings to the table is his work ethics,his football iq & mentorship to our youth. To go from a walk on to starting 28 games at this level speaks volumes for him. He's never been a weakness in their room. He was a high end contributor. Those are all things that are huge for us to take on.

How's our DL compare to Washington's? Imagine he'll feast more in our defense

I don't know much about their DL but the Huskies defense was ranked 96th while Miami was 24th. In total sacks Miami was 21st and Washington was 120th. In the rushing defense Miami was the 11th best rushing defense and Washington was 58th. Going by the stats it doesn't seem good. Btw Miami defense killed it this year
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24

Competition is what this is all about. His experience alone brings exactly what we need to the room. People like this help mold the rest of the rooms moving forward. I'd say in all likelihood he's as of now a 5th to 6th rounder with room to improve his stock. Most importantly our safety room prior to him was a weak spot on this team. At the very least he gives us stability to help transition to our youth. The known things he brings to the table is his work ethics,his football iq & mentorship to our youth. To go from a walk on to starting 28 games at this level speaks volumes for him. He's never been a weakness in their room. He was a high end contributor. Those are all things that are huge for us to take on.
Exactly this

Advertisement
Back