Washington transfer DB Mishael Powell commits to Canes

View as article
Yeah, I originally thought safety all day but here is his snap count by alignment this year.

ALIGNMENT SNAP COUNTS
DL - 78
BOX - 165
FS - 122
SLOT - 477
CNR - 34

This kid played everywhere but most of it was in the slot. Still tons of snaps in the box and at FS. Savion Riley played almost exclusively at FS so you’d imagine that’s where he may end up over time.

I think Meash ends up playing slot and in the box a ton again this year. Takes Jaden Davis’ spot but brings a lot more versatility if injuries hit the group.
Yep. That Couch/Davis role with a healthy amount of SS mixed in too is what I see for him. Allows Richard to stay in the CB room with Damari, Porter, and Stafford. Hopefully we can grab 1 more CB.

Advertisement
Miami has addressed the biggest need on the roster with the commitment of Washington transfer DB Mishael Powell. Powell was a staple of the Husky secondary, starting 25 games over the last three years at cornerback, safety and nickel. This season, Powell led the Pac-12 champions with three INTs, including a game-winning 89-yard pick six against Arizona State and an interception against Oregon.

A Seattle native, Powell chose to join Washington as a walk-on despite receiving offers to play in the Ivy League. He earned a starting job at cornerback in 2021, and new coach Kalen DeBoer rewarded him with a scholarship. While he is expected to play safety for the Canes, the versatile 6'1, 210 Powell can play all over the secondary. I am told he looked every bit of his listed size on his visit.

The Canes had a dire need at the safety position after the departures of Kam Kinchens and James Williams. With the addition of Powell and Vanderbilt transfer Savion Riley, along with the return of Jaden Harris and Top 50 recruit Zaquan Patterson, Miami has solidified the room headed into spring. Powell's addition is the latest in a string of offseason hits for the Canes, as they signed the #4 high school class while filling huge holes at QB (Cam Ward, Reese Poffenbarger), C (Zach Carpenter), DT (CJ Clark, Marley Cook) and now safety.

Powell chose the Canes over the Gators, who had him in for a visit but failed to close the deal despite the hiring of his former coach.

What kind of an NFL prospect is he?

But I was told that TVD didn't have issues building relationships with other teammates?

He didn't have any impediments, he just didn't make the effort frequently. He made the effort with X and Matt Lee, and then pretty much nobody else.

Advertisement
Long day at work. Was just going to bed.. Wife is downstairs thinking she has the night off..

Wrong.
View attachment 279543
dead work out GIF

:pgdead: :pgdead: :pgdead:

Sorry, not seeing it here after watching a few offense / defense cut ups on YouTube. He’s pretty good in coverage and does good job of identifying when to pass off receivers, also is long, but not a willing tackler by any means. I think if he’s your slot, he’s probably an upgrade over Couch but as a starting safety he will be benched by midyear

Sorry, not seeing it here after watching a few offense / defense cut ups on YouTube. He’s pretty good in coverage and does good job of identifying when to pass off receivers, also is long, but not a willing tackler by any means. I think if he’s your slot, he’s probably an upgrade over Couch but as a starting safety he will be benched by midyear
Go watch the Oregon regular season game and tell me he isn’t a willing tackler. Great 25th post though

Advertisement
We f-ed guys. Everyone go back to panicking and complaining about the DB room b/c RobertMarveMania doesn't think he has it.

I can’t find no highlights of this kid to make any judgements. Not going to front this one doesn’t do it for me. DB must be Mario’s weakness on the trail besides Damari

Go watch the Oregon regular season game and tell me he isn’t a willing tackler. Great 25th post though
That’s the most readily available full game tape. It’s easy to look at the one highlight made that game on drive 1 (again, which was made as in the slot)

That same game based on the Oregon OL / Offense vs. Washington video

2:26- Gets flat footed when he’s relied upon for backside cleanup on Irving cut back

2:54- No effort to gang tackle behind the play

3:43- To olay, thankfully play was bottled up

Select examples but it’s all game. Watch the late TD they gave up to Holden in the PAC 12 title game as well. Maybe he was banged up, who knows. PFF certainly isn’t the Bible but it was shocking how poor his tackling grades were, and 30-45 min of watching solidifies it. Can be coached to an extent and would expect some uplift here, but some real bad habits if that’s what you’re asking of a modern safety. Slot guy, like I said different story.

Advertisement
That’s the most readily available full game tape. It’s easy to look at the one highlight made that game on drive 1 (again, which was made as in the slot)

2:26- Gets flat footed when he’s relied upon for backside cleanup on Irving cut back

Select examples but it’s all game. Watch the late TD they gave up to Holden in the PAC 12 title game as well. Maybe he was banged up, who knows. PFF certainly isn’t the Bible but it was shocking how poor his tackling grades were, and 30-45 min of watching solidifies it. Can be coached to an extent and would expect some uplift here, but some real bad habits if that’s what you’re asking of a modern safety. Slot guy, like I said different story.
Which is probably where he's going to be playing a lot of snaps

I see what you are saying I also know we need experience in that room. This was in an article David Lake wrote about him.

Two areas that Powell will need to improve year-over-year while at Miami: tackling consistency and consistency in coverage.

According to PFF, Powell’s missed tackle rate in 2023 was 25 percent, which is too high (an acceptable missed tackle rate for a safety hovers around 15 percent). Powell had tough tackling performances against Arizona, Utah, Oregon State, and Texas, finishing those games with a 50 percent missed tackle rate.

From a coverage standpoint, Powell also had a tough performance against Oregon in 2023. The Ducks targeted Powell ten times that game and the defensive back allowed nine receptions for 71 yards and one touchdown. Powell primarily played in the slot that game.

Advertisement
Miami has addressed the biggest need on the roster with the commitment of Washington transfer DB Mishael Powell. Powell was a staple of the Husky secondary, starting 25 games over the last three years at cornerback, safety and nickel. This season, Powell led the Pac-12 champions with three INTs, including a game-winning 89-yard pick six against Arizona State and an interception against Oregon.

A Seattle native, Powell chose to join Washington as a walk-on despite receiving offers to play in the Ivy League. He earned a starting job at cornerback in 2021, and new coach Kalen DeBoer rewarded him with a scholarship. While he is expected to play safety for the Canes, the versatile 6'1, 210 Powell can play all over the secondary. I am told he looked every bit of his listed size on his visit.

The Canes had a dire need at the safety position after the departures of Kam Kinchens and James Williams. With the addition of Powell and Vanderbilt transfer Savion Riley, along with the return of Jaden Harris and Top 50 recruit Zaquan Patterson, Miami has solidified the room headed into spring. Powell's addition is the latest in a string of offseason hits for the Canes, as they signed the #4 high school class while filling huge holes at QB (Cam Ward, Reese Poffenbarger), C (Zach Carpenter), DT (CJ Clark, Marley Cook) and now safety.

Powell chose the Canes over the Gators, who had him in for a visit but failed to close the deal despite the hiring of his former coach.

sassy ha ha GIF by Robert E Blackmon

You literally contradicted yourself my brotha
I didn’t find highlights and before I didn’t find the highlights his name wasn’t Caleb Downs lol

I only saw the pick 6 vs ASU

But I guess it’s good for depth, I know Zaquan starting before the season over ain’t no way he doesn’t start

I didn’t find highlights and before I didn’t find the highlights his name wasn’t Caleb Downs lol

But I guess it’s good for depth, I know Zaquan starting before the season over ain’t no way he doesn’t start
Think of him as a rich man's Jaden Davis that's about 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier. Will be an important part of our defense but impossible to compare him to Downs.

Now you’re going to force me to go and watch some WA games gotdammit. I assumed that as a starter for a championship team that Guidry wanted Powell was at least very good if not great. Maybe I just close my eyes and see no evil?

No one is Downs. Stop that.

Advertisement
Back