Washington transfer DB Mishael Powell commits to Canes

View as article
Advertisement
My only real problem with our DB group as a whole is it seems like we have a dozen hybrid/snickel types, and few True Outside lockdown CB types. I think Damari Brown can absolutely be that, but im not convinced about his speed. And the staff views him more as a long term big nickel - where I think he could be a monster. So outside CB is what I want. I really hope Stafford takes a leap this year because I think he could be that as well. He’s got the athleticism.

Like Porter was a really good coverage guy this year, but is he gunna be an outside guy at the next level? Or more of a nickel cb? Probably nickel cause he doesn’t have much length. jadais Richard has the length like Damari, but does he have the speed? He’s a hybrid Safety type just like Powell - though I think Powell is gunna be more safety here and Richard is gunna be more outside CB. Freeney could be a real wildcard as he also has good length but isn’t as big of a dude as like Damari - so hopefully has the speed. And the freshman just aren’t going to be ready especially since none are coming early I believe.

To me depth at CB is much worse than at Safety. But if like Porter slips a bit or Damari isn’t legit…we are kinda ****ed. Where’s even if Powell isn’t great or if Harris gets hurt, I think we have guys that can fill in.

My only real problem with our DB group as a whole is it seems like we have a dozen hybrid/snickel types, and few True Outside lockdown CB types. I think Damari Brown can absolutely be that, but im not convinced about his speed. And the staff views him more as a long term big nickel - where I think he could be a monster. So outside CB is what I want. I really hope Stafford takes a leap this year because I think he could be that as well. He’s got the athleticism.

Like Porter was a really good coverage guy this year, but is he gunna be an outside guy at the next level? Or more of a nickel cb? Probably nickel cause he doesn’t have much length. jadais Richard has the length like Damari, but does he have the speed? He’s a hybrid Safety type just like Powell - though I think Powell is gunna be more safety here and Richard is gunna be more outside CB. Freeney could be a real wildcard as he also has good length but isn’t as big of a dude as like Damari - so hopefully has the speed. And the freshman just aren’t going to be ready especially since none are coming early I believe.

To me depth at CB is much worse than at Safety. But if like Porter slips a bit or Damari isn’t legit…we are kinda ****ed. Where’s even if Powell isn’t great or if Harris gets hurt, I think we have guys that can fill in.
There is no way the depth at cb was worse than safety. We lost 2 starters and literally didnt have anyone other than Jaden Harris to have legit reps at the position or starts. Balom started a game 2 years a go an Markeith started the bowl game but thta was bs.

There are ample guys with cb reps. Porter is a vet it relly doesnt matter what he plays at the next level he was our best cover corner last szn and will be a starter next year. Damari Brown waltze din and took reps at cb and looked pretty good there...Richard has cb reps and nickel reps.

Like you stated the real key is for Stafford and Freeneys development this spring. Freeney has size from the game i saw him in person.

I'd be comfortable bringing in a portal cb with cb reps but if they wanna save the funds n watch how spring progresses i et it.

Me personally i would offer the cb from arizona who just jumped in the portal a good nil deal right away. That would solidify the db room totally against injuries and development. He's plug n play.

read this years stats for him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There is no way the depth at cb was worse than safety. We lost 2 starters and literally didnt have anyone other than Jaden Harris to have legit reps at the position or starts. Balom started a game 2 years a go an Markeith started the bowl game but thta was bs.

There are ample guys with cb reps. Porter is a vet it relly doesnt matter what he plays at the next level he was our best cover corner last szn and will be a starter next year. Damari Brown waltze din and took reps at cb and looked pretty good there...Richard has cb reps and nickel reps.

Like stated the real key is for Stafford and Freeneys development this spring. Freeney has size from the game is aw him in person.

I'd be comfortable bringing in a portal cb with cb reps but if they wanna save the funds n watch how spring progresses i et it.

Me personally i would offer the cb from arizona who just jumped in the portal a good nil deal right away. That would solidify the db room totally against injuries and development. He's plug n play.
This. Maybe folks have a short memory because we lost the game..but make no mistake..Richard and Brown HELD THEIR OWN against Coleman and the 6'7 buddy in that FSU game...For two guys who got very limited reps all year..they absolutely showed out.

I feel very confident that hopefully Addae can develop them into taking that next step..that is what we pay him for. Richard, Brown and Porter should be plenty enough. Porter at times last year was a bonafide stud! Addae needs to do his job! Period. **** he cant recruit! At least he can do is develop! Unless there is a legit elite level CB that jumps in the portal..we should jump..but we shouldnt just go after anyone. Esp with Stafford still in the mix who has all the skills to be a legit 2nd year CB.

Im tired of letting some of these coaches off the hook. DEVELOP THE KIDS YOU HAVE. Thats what these 5* kids want to see. Yeah, showing them the NIL contract with 7 figures is cool and all..but can you get me to the first round, Coach? Hatin a$$ Cardale Jones basically put our staff on blast..yeah, its cool to go to UM for the NIL bag..but can that staff develop you and get you to the next level? Time for Mario and the staff to answer the bell. Rant over. lol.

Roll U_......... JOINTS

Elon Musk Smoking GIF

This. Maybe folks have a short memory because we lost the game..but make no mistake..Richard and Brown HELD THEIR OWN against Coleman and the 6'7 buddy in that FSU game...For two guys who got very limited reps all year..they absolutely showed out.

I feel very confident that hopefully Addae can develop them into taking that next step..that is what we pay him for. Richard, Brown and Porter should be plenty enough. Porter at times last year was a bonafide stud! Addae needs to do his job! Period. **** he cant recruit! At least he can do is develop! Unless there is a legit elite level CB that jumps in the portal..we should jump..but we shouldnt just go after anyone. Esp with Stafford still in the mix who has all the skills to be a legit 2nd year CB.

Im tired of letting some of these coaches off the hook. DEVELOP THE KIDS YOU HAVE. Thats what these 5* kids want to see. Yeah, showing them the NIL contract with 7 figures is cool and all..but can you get me to the first round, Coach? Hatin a$$ Cardale Jones basically put our staff on blast..yeah, its cool to go to UM for the NIL bag..but can that staff develop you and get you to the next level? Time for Mario and the staff to answer the bell. Rant over. lol.
Coleman and Wilson are very specific types of WRs that Damari and Richard matchup well with though. That doesn’t discount their performance, it’s just saying the reality. They’re arent the fastest, have little agility, create almost no separation, and are entirely possession jump-ball type guys. Damari and Richard are the exact two CBs I’d want to see against those type of WRs.

I mean develop guys is our exact gameplan for Lb and EDGE defensively - Lb especially. Same thing can be said about WR, TE, OLine, and RB. So I think without question our gameplan is to develop. And aside from this year where we needed the immediate help, DT is going to absolutely be a position we are banking on pure development going forward.

So yeah I agree these guys gotta get developed, which is why i specifically mentioned Stafford. But we’ve kinda sucked *** recruiting DB period. The problem with relying on development is we pretty much have all our eggs on the development of 2 guys at CB this year which is a risk - Damari and Stafford. Ideally you don’t want to be entirely relying on development of just a guy or two. Like at LB we have like 6 guys that can all step up, and only really 1 starting spot open (though I think bissainthe can be beat out). That makes a big difference as to the risk. I’m happy with where we stand at Lb because we have a lot of guys that CAN get there. Cb we just don’t have much options is my main point

I don't think we have really any of those types. And, I think its proven with the fact that we tried to get Andre Sam last year and had to play Te'Corey Couch there all year. We lack guys that can effectively play that spot, IMO. Which is why Meesh Ishmael is such an important get.

We also lack outside guys, too. But thats a different story.

Advertisement
I don't think we have really any of those types. And, I think its proven with the fact that we tried to get Andre Sam last year and had to play Te'Corey Couch there all year. We lack guys that can effectively play that spot, IMO. Which is why Meesh Ishmael is such an important get.

We also lack outside guys, too. But thats a different story.
Disagree, the reason we played couch there last year was because A) he was very experienced. B) we NEEDED Davis and Porter outside. C) Damari was still very young and didn’t start earning real Pt till end of season - where Davis was mostly hurt.

We had guys to play the nickel. I’d argue all 3 of our current top 3 CBs could be better in the nickel. But we have few to none pure outside CBs so we just play the person who lost the competition outside at nickel

Like you stated the real key is for Stafford and Freeneys development this spring. Freeney has size from the game i saw him in person.

read this years stats for him.

@gogeta4 I've written Balom off. He looked terrible whenever he played. But what's the deal with Markeith? Is he any good?

Right now, I'm assuming it's Riley and Powell as first string, Harris and Markeith as second string, with Spencer next man up. Is that right? ... By midseason, I expect Patterson to be taking a lot of snaps.

@gogeta4 I've written Balom off. He looked terrible whenever he played. But what's the deal with Markeith? Is he any good?

Right now, I'm assuming it's Riley and Powell as first string, Harris and Markeith as second string, with Spencer next man up. Is that right? ... By midseason, I expect Patterson to be taking a lot of snaps.
If Balom is on this team post spring I'd be very surprised.

Advertisement
Welp, that's nice. We had two major needs left to be addressed in the portal and with this transfer we only need a WR1 and we are set up for a VERY special season.
If we can land a WR1 and a true CB1, with everything else we have, we’re cooking with gas!!!

Had time to watch film on this guy and I think he is brought in to play the Jaden Davis Nickle Role

Pros-

Good coverage, understands leverage and covers the slot pretty well.

Cons-
Struggles tackling and sometimes seems lazy and unwilling to tackle especially when its the RB.

Don't see a Safety with this guy but would be best fit in the nickle. We'll see but for now seems like we need help at Safety still.

Seems like Savion Riley is our most experienced guy in that room... Unless we are looking to depend on Jaden Harris taking a huge leap and Zaquan Patterson playing extended time. Need to bring in another Safety and he should be a highly experienced and productive guy IMO.

I would guess that. Markeith flashes. He is very twitchy int he secondary. I like him he just needs a lot of weight an not sure if he has it right now will need to continue to add this off szn. That said he isnt afraid to thump.

Watch Spencer thats a big *** safety there as well. If thats our grouping it isnt bad imo. Im high on Richard and Damari , and i was the only guy on DP jr train last off szn.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back