Official Tuesday Media: OC Shannon Dawson & DC Lance Guidry

Barry Jackson:

Q: "why is miami the right move for you right now? why are you here?" response
A: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I know he wanted to say what the fcccckkkkk are you talking about?

Susan:

Q: Talk about each othem (George, Colby and X).
A: I'm not going to talk about any one in particular because i don't want to leave anyone out. SAID DIFFERENTLY, FCCKKK YOU SUSAN.

Sounded to me like it was Gary Ferman (as opposed to Barry Jackson) that asked the first question.

Advertisement
These guys have a chance here. Both seem like the type of coaches you would love to play for. No egos involved just die hard coaches who try and put players in positions to succeed.

I think this is the type of year where we will see improvement week over week and finally end on a high note. Maybe win a bowl game for once this century.

My takeaways from each of the interviews:
1) Shannon Dawson
- TVD is the guy. Extremely accurate and picks up things fast.​
- He seems very intrigued by Browns skillset. Said he's got everything.​
- Will take it slow with Emory.​
- Grew up watching the canes of old and has to pinch himself that he's at the U.​
- Knocked it out of the park with Beard and Harris Jr. as position coaches.​
- Adapts scheme to players on roster.​
- Has an idea of who will be the go to WR but won't say who (my guess is X).​
My initial take: breath of fresh air compared to Gattis who seemed **** bent on running his scheme. I'll wait and see but early reviews are positive.
2) Lance Guidry
- He embraces being cajun lol.​
- Kam - really intelligent, bell cow of the defense, will ask him to do even more.​
- Caleb Spencer - young, don't know a lot yet.​
- Fell in love with the old Miami teams with how they played and the swagger.​
- Very excited for JT to be leading the D Line. Called him a future D Coordinator at the college or NFL level.​
- Called Derek Nicholson special and a future DC as well. He shoutout Addae as well.​
- 4-2-5 is base D.​
- Loves giving pregame speeches (can't wait).​
- Calls Mauigoa a natural player. :)
My initial take: he oozes passion and energy. This guy gets you fired up. Can't wait to see what he does with this defense.
gattis preseason quotes gave me hope. he kept talking about playing fast and speed and space. it was until we saw the year begin where it all went downhill

Advertisement

This guy has got to be a great recruiter

Also I actually appreciated most of the questions he was asked. Insights into the hiring process, background, recruiting, the rest of the staff etc

Nothing he’s going to be able to elaborate on as far as players at the moment especially with so many out

But then you had the whole “umm is it hard for players to learn a new defense?” 🤦🏼‍♂️

Advertisement
gattis preseason quotes gave me hope. he kept talking about playing fast and speed and space. it was until we saw the year begin where it all went downhill
Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I didn’t understand anything Guidry said for the fist 60 seconds (hyperbole). That Cajun accent is something. It‘s like listening to the defensive coordinator in the movie Waterboy.
I‘m optimistic about both coordinators. Both seem to be scheme guys who also enjoy coaching. I never felt the last 2 coordinators enjoyed being at UM or even seemed to enjoy their jobs anymore.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Saturday “ the kids will love this staff , it’s night and day from last years staff”.

Responses “ not falling for it Cribby“

After five minutes of pressers “ i love this staff , they have good personalities and seem like good guys”

I didn’t understand anything Guidry said for the fist 60 seconds (hyperbole). That Cajun accent is something. It‘s like listening to the defensive coordinator in the movie Waterboy.
I‘m optimistic about both coordinators. Both same to be scheme guys who also enjoy coaching. I never felt the last 2 coordinators enjoyed being at UM or even seemed to enjoy their jobs anymore.

Exactly. Last two seemed miserable and I like steele as a coach.

These two seem genuinely happy to be at Miami but also they aren’t in a 5-7 season. Hard to judge in day 3 type interview but the enthusiasm and excitement seems to be better than last staff that’s for sure.

Also love how Guidry is already empowering his assistants, that helps with buy in. He proudly spoke on how smart each one is and how he sees big futures for them. This goes a long way on building cohesion.

As for Dawson it truly sounds like he will adjust to the players he has as opposed to Gattass who was running QB sneaks with TVD from the 8 yard line against A&M.

1 thing we need is some luck in our side for once that we can stay somewhat healthy during a season. Injuries happen and that’s why we need more portal help after the spring but man I just want our guys to be at their best for the season verse the **** we had to throw out at o-line cause if all the injuries last year.

Advertisement
Exactly. Last two seemed miserable and I like steele as a coach.

These two seem genuinely happy to be at Miami but also they aren’t in a 5-7 season. Hard to judge in day 3 type interview but the enthusiasm and excitement seems to be better than last staff that’s for sure.

Also love how Guidry is already empowering his assistants, that helps with buy in. He proudly spoke on how smart each one is and how he sees big futures for them. This goes a long way on building cohesion.

As for Dawson it truly sounds like he will adjust to the players he has as opposed to Gattass who was running QB sneaks with TVD from the 8 yard line against A&M.

1 thing we need is some luck in our side for once that we can stay somewhat healthy during a season. Injuries happen and that’s why we need more portal help after the spring but man I just want our guys to be at their best for the season verse the **** we had to throw out at o-line cause if all the injuries last year.
Steele was at least somewhat relatable, though of an older generation. He seemed to try and was at times candid in media scrums. Gattis was just miserable. It's humorous hearing Guidry talk about firing up team with pre-game speeches. Can only imagine what a pre-game chat with Gattis would be like.

Advertisement
Back