To all those complaining about SFL High School Coaches..

"According to LRS Sports recruiting analyst Dwight Thomas, who tracks high school and college football coaching changes in the South, a state-record 143 coaching changes were made in Florida heading into this fall, breaking the high of 139 set last year. According to Thomas, 158 coaches left Florida for Georgia over the past decade."

Advertisement

Valdosta has more wins then any High School team in the country and they are in Georgia's highest classification so yeah they pay big but they also make a lot of money. I imagine a lot of South Georgia schools pay well. There are a lot of big AAAAAA schools in south Georgia. I imagine if Miami only had one high school they would play in a pretty nice stadium as well.

It is very hard for any school in a district with multiple high schools. They typically share a stadium and the school districts knows it can't justify going out and hiring a dozen coaches at 90k each, especially considering attendance is typically low at these types of school. If you take a district with 1 or 2 schools that average 10 to 15k a game it is a little easier to spend money. I know my school was able to get a SPLOST through to brick the stadium, put up a video board and add astro turf, but these types of things you couldn't do if the city had to handle more than 1 stadium.

Good post Vern. What I don't understand is why more teachers aren't coaches? Other states pay only peanuts to coaches, too, but the teachers do it for the love of the kids and the game.

This. I coach a lot of sport and am a PE teacher. I would love to coach football and would happily do it. Unfortunately living in Australia and having extremely limited experience are pretty big hurdles to get over. If I ever move to the states I would love to get involved with coaching football

Good on you mate. Got a cold Fosters for you here in the Space Coast and nice beaches too, come on up!

Just follow the crowd jumping the border. ;-)

Advertisement
Well, This is still AMERICA. If you dont like your job get a new one, or go back to Community College and get prepared for a better one. If these coaches spent as much time and effort on bettering their resume via coaches clinics they would be much more likely to land some of the small time jobs the universities offer. There is so much out there to help a coach become a better coach, the problem lies in the coach. These are like Luke, they think because you have the best athletes you have the best team, not so. Especially in a tactical game like football. Its why you dont see many freshman MLB or Safeties. Those are the positions you need some real knowledge of the game. However, there are Cb's Wr and Rb all the time. Yet that same Rb gets yanked off the field on 3rd down cause he does not know the little intricacies of the game.

I will say I am saddened to see such small pay for these coaches, I do empathize with that. That unfortunately falls on your local school boards and your local politicians. I would be willing to bet that if you did a study showing the benefits of better coaching and the way in which it can benefit your whole community you may be able to make some headway. Football seems to be very prideful down there and I would think people would be for the coaches and teams getting taken a bit better care of. I would do a study that inclues things like how much pro athletes donate to their communities, how state title teams generate money for schools via ticket sales. I would spend the money to fence in my field if I had to so I could charge for game if we were not. A little goes a long ways. Most people do not put much thought into it and I am sure if a few coaches and memebers of thecommunity put something well thought out and backed up by some statistics it would be hard to not listen.

Now you look at some of these coaches from the all star teams and those cats are on the take left and right. It is obvious because it has no affiliation with any sanctioning body, there are basically no rules these coaches get paid what they can probably by taking in 'donations'. I see these teams with these nice NKIE jerseys, all these kids have real nice gear. I think this 7V7 circuit is probably the way the $EC's of the world are able to get to kids and pay them. They dont have to go to a kids home, or his school. They can show up at an event and put the money to direct use. I also think this is where the coaches are REALLY making money. I would even be willing to bet its more than a few hundred.

Rule number one to coaching is teaching young men to be MEN. Winning with class, enjoying yourself and being respectable. At least that is why I got into coaching lacrosse. I love coaching technique, strategy, fundamentals and winning but most of all I like to see a kid have fun. I get more joy out of watching a kid make the right play than getting a win because we had one kid score more than the other team. Its about team, its about the game and playing it right. I want to see everyone get better. I would just like to see these coaches act more like men. If you have an issue with one of your kids not being recruited ,call the coach and get the scoop. Sont go to twitter, that is like starting a rumor in high school. That is immature, I do not care what your income is. Oh and by the way I am a building manager at a local elementary school.

Wahhhh wahhhhh wahhhh Coaching football in south florida is a thankless job but if you're doing for the money you're doing it for the wrong reason. You get to coach some of the premier talent in the Country while making a difference in some kids life.

I always found it ironic (and pathetic) how little we appreciate football down here considering the ridiculous amount of talent we have in the state.

Florida has more football talent than anywhere in the nation but we pay our coaches nothing.

Wildcat (and others): is there pay disparity across the state? Are you more likely to find extremely low paying jobs in so fla as you are in the JAX area? Trying to figure out of this is a state issue or a county/city issue.

Advertisement
This is pathetic. When I was in HS in Florida all the football coaches were teachers or administrators. No wonder you get retired rappers like Luke coaching at MNW. That is the same Luke, isn't it?

Can you imagine if these kids got really good coaching in HS?

That kind of explains why Jimmy Johnson's staff like Texas recruits so much. I used to hear that they liked the Texas kids because they were well-coached. I bet a lot of south Florida kids are not, especially the QBs.

And a lot of the kids are poor students in south Florida, besides. Whether it's bad schools, or just bad parenting and environment, I don't know.

I always found it ironic (and pathetic) how little we appreciate football down here considering the ridiculous amount of talent we have in the state.

Florida has more football talent than anywhere in the nation but we pay our coaches nothing.

Wildcat (and others): is there pay disparity across the state? Are you more likely to find extremely low paying jobs in so fla as you are in the JAX area? Trying to figure out of this is a state issue or a county/city issue.

From what I know it's a statewide thing.

Wahhhh wahhhhh wahhhh Coaching football in south florida is a thankless job but if you're doing for the money you're doing it for the wrong reason. You get to coach some of the premier talent in the Country while making a difference in some kids life.

Easy for you to say. You don't coach. (do you?)

Nobody is saying that we're doing it for the money. However, many of us are spending our own money and/or losing out on money because of coaching.

During the season I'm on campus until about 7pm. On Friday nights (game nights) I'm there until atleast 11pm. Saturday mornings I'm there from 7am to atleast 12pm. During the summer I'm there from 7am until about 11am. We're also driving out of town to 7-on-7 tournaments during the summer.

It's a year long affair. People sacrifice time with their wives and families to coach these teams. At the end of the year we're given a check for $1300-$1500.

You don't have to pay me for making a difference in some kid's life. I'll gladly do that for free. However, how 'bout you pay me for all the extra time I put in away from the kids. How 'bout the hours of film work I do. How 'bout the hours I spend on making playbooks and game preparation packets. How 'bout all the hours I spend on campus long after the kids are gone. How 'bout the gas money I spend going back and forth from the campus. How 'bout all the fundraising work we do.

There's alot more that goes into coaching then just interacting with the kids. That's just a small part of it.

This is pathetic. When I was in HS in Florida all the football coaches were teachers or administrators. No wonder you get retired rappers like Luke coaching at MNW. That is the same Luke, isn't it?

Can you imagine if these kids got really good coaching in HS?

That kind of explains why Jimmy Johnson's staff like Texas recruits so much. I used to hear that they liked the Texas kids because they were well-coached. I bet a lot of south Florida kids are not, especially the QBs.

And a lot of the kids are poor students in south Florida, besides. Whether it's bad schools, or just bad parenting and environment, I don't know.

South Florida kids, typically, are very poor coached.

Advertisement
to any high school coach or anybody with info, how do you get into high school coaching without being a teacher?

i remember reading somewhere the plant head coach weiner would win a car during a "raffle drawing" or something lol

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back