To all those complaining about SFL High School Coaches..

blackvern

All-ACC
Banned
Some of them are security guards... Some of them are cafeteria workers...some of them are janitors.. I know some that are part time and make $9 and hour pulling in $300 a week.

Their supplement is around $1300 a year... They drive kids to and from practice(using their gas) they buy them food when thier hungry. They sometimes even buy football equipment for some of these kids who cant afford it.

They put in over 30 hours a week during the season, lets not even talk about spring ball and practice durimng the summer. A freind of mine who coaches high school in Miami says when you averaged it out he makes less than $2 an hour coaching Florida High School Football. Other states dont have this problem.

So you take a guy making $10 an hour as a security guard, putting in 30 hours a week plus add the summer!! Which one of you would do this for the love of the game. If it werent for these guys there would be no football coaches. WHo in their right mind would spend all that time for such little pay when you dont even have a job that pays you anything in the first place!!

My point is if you dont expect SOME of these guys to be immature in their ways, living their life through these players, or trying to steer players to schools because they might get shot a few hundred dollars here or there you are kidding yourselves. What else do they have? Your not going to get rich from college coaches. As a matter of fact some times the money they get from college coaches go right back to the players. Most coaches start coaching for the love of the game.

I'm not saying I agree with the guys that do this...but I understand. Which one of you guys at a $10 an hour job would spend this much time coaching a sport that pays you nothing. Coach Harris at Booker T spent years coaching football and was only a security guard way back when he was at Miami High.

Just letting you guys know why some of the coaches down here are so messed up. And yes the poster was right, they will let anybody coach high schooll football or even optimist football in south florida because who else is gonna do it? When i was a football player inthe 90'sall the coaches were teachers some were principals some worked for Bell South....al those guys got old and retired They had good jobs. Now most of them are security guards, custodians, and teacher aides. What do you expect to happen? The system is screwed and there is no fixing it and it's only gonna get worst down here..so be prepared

Last edited:
Advertisement
how is it a state such as texas can afford to pay coaches six figure amounts? why such a discrepancy in pay?

Same way they afford 20million dollar+ stadiums... rich boosters and rich tax payers that vote in extra taxes just for football...

Advertisement
Some of them are security guards... Some of them are cafeteria workers...some of them are janitors.. I know some that are part time and make $9 and hour pulling in $300 a week.

Their supplement is around $1300 a year... They drive kids to and from practice(using their gas) they buy them food when thier hungry. They sometimes even buy football equipment for some of these kids who cant afford it.

They put in over 30 hours a week during the season, lets not even talk about spring ball and practice durimng the summer. A freind of mine who coaches high school in Miami says when you averaged it out he makes less than $2 an hour coaching Florida High School Football. Other states dont have this problem.

So you take a guy making $10 an hour as a security guard, putting in 30 hours a week plus add the summer!! Which one of you would do this for the love of the game. If it werent for these guys there would be no football coaches. WHo in their right mind would spend all that time for such little pay when you dont even have a job that pays you anything in the first place!!

My point is if you dont expect SOME of these guys to be immature in their ways, living their life through these players, or trying to steer players to schools because they might get shot a few hundred dollars here or there you are kidding yourselves. What else do they have? Your not going to get rich from college coaches. As a matter of fact some times the money they get from college coaches go right back to the players. Most coaches start coaching for the love of the game.

I'm not saying I agree with the guys that do this...but I understand. Which one of you guys at a $10 an hour job would spend this much time coaching a sport that pays you nothing. Coach Harris at Booker T spent years coaching football and was only a security guard way back when he was at Miami High.

Just letting you guys know why some of the coaches down here are so messed up. And yes the poster was right, they will let anybody coach high schooll football or even optimist football in south florida because who else is gonna do it? When i was a football player inthe 90'sall the coaches were teachers some were principals some worked for Bell South....al those guys got old and retired They had good jobs. Now most of them are security guards, custodians, and teacher aides. What do you expect to happen? The system is screwed and there is no fixing it and it's only gonna get worst down here..so be prepared

solid post, while HS coaches are a big problem, the real problem lies in the administration that doesn't get involved with the HS coaches

I'm pretty sure most states don't pay coaches hardly anything. I think Texas is one of a maybe a few that does pay coaches.

Advertisement

solid post, while HS coaches are a big problem, the real problem lies in the administration that doesn't get involved with the HS coaches

So you think you can be picky about who you hire with a job that pays $1.50 an hour? Not so bro... Same problem with optimist ball it never use to be like this..man times have changed.

I'm pretty sure most states don't pay coaches hardly anything. I think Texas is one of a maybe a few that does pay coaches.

not true Georiga pays assitant football coached any where from $12- 20K extra.. Alabama, Tennesee, and Virginia High school assistant coaches also get paid at least and extra 10-15k Alabama way more.. We know this because we SFL schools have started to play a lot more out of state teams.

15k is a lot better than $1500

how is it a state such as texas can afford to pay coaches six figure amounts? why such a discrepancy in pay?

Property taxes in Texas are 3.8%. Plus, school district stadiums paid for with donations from alumni and corporations. Even towns with 2000 population get 5000 to a HS football game.

Advertisement

not true Georiga pays assitant football coached any where from $12- 20K extra.. Alabama, Tennesee, and Virginia High school assistant coaches also get paid at least and extra 10-15k Alabama way more.. We know this because we SFL schools have started to play a lot more out of state teams.

i work in TN and that's not true unless you're at a private school. The extra stipend is minimal at best & we're in the top 15 richest counties in the country.

So you think you can be picky about who you hire with a job that pays $1.50 an hour? Not so bro... Same problem with optimist ball it never use to be like this..man times have changed.

administrators are full time employees making more than 1.50/hr

Advertisement
Good post Vern. What I don't understand is why more teachers aren't coaches? Other states pay only peanuts to coaches, too, but the teachers do it for the love of the kids and the game.

The majority still are throughout the state. Sure, you have some that aren't but that is the minority...

When I played HS football in Dade County all my coaches were also teachers. Has that changed?

Not in Dade COunty 561...
Most head coaches are..I dont think a principal would hire a head coach without a degree.. However in Dade County.... there are a lot of high school assisitant coaches, a lot of high school jv assistant coaches who are security guards... It is what it is.. Teachers salaries has been the same the last 13 years for the most part... Havent gone up...

Florida has the worst pay for high school coaches. The stipend for an assistant is around 1300-1500. There might be a few states who also give crap stipends but the fact is that most states...especially football-rich states...pay their coaches more than Florida does. I've heard of assistant coaches making anywhere from 5k to 10k in other states. That's more than the HEAD coaches make in Florida.

Just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. If you're only willing to pay $1500 then you're gonna get alot of ****** coaches. On top of that, it's hard to get assistant coaches good jobs at the school, and that adds to the problem. There's plenty of assistants that don't mind coaching for $1500 if you can get them a teaching job at your school.

You have many guys who don't attempt to take their coaching game to the next level mainly cause they're not being paid to do so. The pay is low and the coaching jobs are easy to attain so what you have is a bunch of guys who don't strive to be better coaches. There's no accountability for poor coaching and there's not much threat of getting fired because it's hard to find guys who will replace you.

THAT'S WHY YOU HAVE SO MANY TEAMS IN SOUTH FLORIDA WHO UNDERACHIEVE.

With more pay comes more accountability. If we were hiring under THOSE circumstances, do you think the coaching staffs at Plantation, Boyd Anderson, Dilliard or Ely would still have jobs? **** no! You got a ton of D-1 level athletes, I'm paying you [insert amount] per year to coach those athletes and you ain't going to states? There's the door buddy. Bye.

It's really some bull**** and it's got me wanting to take my career to another state. My eyes stay glued to film, my nose stays buried in my playbook and my truck stays driving to camps/coaching seminars. All for what? So I can get paid $1500 at the end of the year? Why strive to be a COACH when they're paying you to be a CORCH? That's why when I go out of town to these seminars I rarely see any South Florida coaches.

Advertisement
Back