STA King Mack Hits the Portal.

Advertisement
I wish they were pursuing Mangham instead

Just a guess. But I assume they feel good about the combination of Harris and Williams, with Powell taking a number of starting safety snaps, as well. Then you have Patterson. Mangham would come in to start, which might be enough to trigger one of the current guys to portal out. Whereas they think Mack is good enough to push for starting snaps without coming in over the top of the others. By taking Mack, they aren't explicitly cramming those guys down to second (or third) string.

Just a guess. But I assume they feel good about the combination of Harris and Williams, with Powell taking a number of starting safety snaps, as well. Then you have Patterson. Mangham would come in to start, which might be enough to trigger one of the current guys to portal out. Whereas they think Mack is good enough to push for starting snaps without coming in over the top of the others. By taking Mack, they aren't explicitly cramming those guys down to second (or third) string.

That haven't minded pushing the guys further down the depth chart at the other positions. Why would they take a different mentality at the Safety position? I'm okay with Harris, but Williams is still extremely light in the ***. With the all chips in for this next season you get Mangham.

Advertisement
SIAP….Why didn't we take him out of H.S? Was there validity to the "JT couldn't recruit STA kids in year 1" bit?

SIAP….Why didn't we take him out of H.S? Was there validity to the "JT couldn't recruit STA kids in year 1" bit?

Well, we did have a different DB coach that not very many people liked. Might have been part of the issue, but still not really seeing this take.

Gaby 84 minutes ago:
Back to our regularly scheduled programming (there will still be some portal coverage as Miami continues to pursue Tyler Baron and King Mack, which is not looking super promising).

Advertisement
Harris is a fast kid. hes not slow. Im not saying im against so fla safeties but aside from JJ who wasnt a stud athlete, they have shown the tendency to play hero ball and get burned for it. Even Kam, great kid but for every great play he made, he was burned just as bad on one.
Sheldrick Redwine, Jamal Carter, Al Blades, Randy Phillips, Sean Taylor, and Kenny Phillips worked out pretty well for us. It's about convincing the right guys to play here.

Sheldrick Redwine, Jamal Carter, Al Blades, Randy Phillips, Sean Taylor, and Kenny Phillips worked out pretty well for us. It's about convincing the right guys to play here.
recently. Btw, I like Jamal Carter but he made bone headed plays and Redwine wasn't an elite athlete.
Randy Phillips got burned regularly. Blades, Taylor and Phillips are not part of the new so fla culture.

Advertisement
recently. Btw, I like Jamal Carter but he made bone headed plays and Redwine wasn't an elite athlete.
Randy Phillips got burned regularly. Blades, Taylor and Phillips are not part of the new so fla culture.
Carter did make some bonehead plays and Redwine def was not ELITE for an athlete but I think people underestimate his athletic ability. I believe he was low 90s or high 80's when it came to his athleticism score at the combine and he ran like a 4.4 and had a 40 inch vert with almost an 11 ft broad jump at 6'0 200lbs that is pretty **** good but I admit he did not look as athletic on the field when hearing those were his numbers if that makes sense.

Advertisement
Board trashed JJ for 2.5 years and then dude left here a beast

Jaquan had his fair share of supporters, too. But you are right that he was underappreciated because of his lack of size and his athletic limitations (terrible RAS, but still better than KK's). Ultimately, a highly instinctual, tough, smart player and one of UM's most dependable, best tackling safeties on the back end.

I'd slap Tyson Fury for an upperclassman JJ on this team right now.

Jaquan had his fair share of supporters, too. But you are right that he was underappreciated because of his lack of size and his athletic limitations (terrible RAS, but still better than KK's). Ultimately, a highly instinctual, tough, smart player and one of UM's most dependable, best tackling safeties on the back end.

I'd slap Tyson Fury for an upperclassman JJ on this team right now.
Oh yeah I remember it well. Just took him some time to find his groove. Kind of a cautionary tale that we never remember

Advertisement
Back