Spring Spring PractiSe 5: Thursday March 21

D$ we can all agree $ is a limitation but what you’re saying is a starting spot guarantee or in the nature of is what would is likely to hold us back from big boy shopping…. Which shows us how much potential the coaches see in Damari.

But that room is suspect (pause)

I have to agree that most would feel a lot more comfortable knowing we were already talking to CB options like Romello’s name has been brought up.. it’s just a bit concerning they shut down A Jackson who was begging to come here and played well as an 18 year old freshman last year in ECU and fits that mold of willing to accept learning time. And now we’re talking about buying discount goods as bodies.

Advertisement
The perfect guy would have been Daniel Harris from UGA. Unfortunately, they reeled him back in.
++++ I heard his name mentioned as well but I heard he was a potential bait suspect all along.

That’s the difficulty with todays CFB. The pay upgrade and staying with the elite program likely outweighs what Miami offers/offered at DB.

This could slightly change with C. Jackson and his connections. I know that is what Guidry/ especially Mario hopes.

New world.

I'll respond to everyone at once because it's easier.

I understand your concerns. But I think there is a consistent failure to understand the real world of roster management and NIL. This isn't fantasy football.

A frontline starting CB is extremely expensive. Whatever "salary cap" is left, that signing would take up a huge chunk of it. And that's assuming a good one jumps in the Portal and would be willing to come to Miami. For that scenario to play out, it will take luck and a huge bidding war.

So let's say you sign a frontline CB with the money. He's pushing out either Daryl Porter or Damari Brown. Porter, while not a first rounder or anything, was a good ACC corner last year on a good deal. Damari Brown, who already flirted with the Portal, is also on a decent deal and has two more years left with a lot of upside.

Now we've spent the money on a frontline CB (who is not currently in the Portal) and pushed out, say, Damari Brown. We still have the same depth problems we have right now. The CBs getting torched in practice are mostly backups, pushed up a spot because Brown isn't practicing. That's why we've talked about depth.

I've also read that we need another legit WR and a true #1 RB. Most of the people saying that are the same ones talking about CB. Those same people also say we need a bigger DT. I agree with those people. But, in this scenario, we spent a lot of that money in a bidding war to upgrade over Porter and Brown.

QB was different because we had no starter. Same with safety and center, although those positions aren't as expensive as CB. We bid heavy because we had no solid options. CB has some solid options. Not elite options, but that problem needs to be solved in recruiting. Which, by the way, also relies on that same NIL pool.

I wish NIL money was unlimited. But it's not. The good news: there is a way we can elevate our NIL pool so we don't have to make these tough decisions....

Click the link below and pick a plan. When you enter promo code “CIS” in the blue link titled “Add promotion Code” (right under “Subtotal”) you get 20% off your first month Canes Connection subscription. More importantly, you get access to a regular, private Zoom call with me where I share information I can’t share publicly. This is in addition to the other member benefits Canes Connection provides.

https://www.canesconnection.com/membership
So, think of NIL in light of NFL salary cap. May have multiple needs, but need to operate within a budget. If make a major outlay for QB, then need to be more financially prudent filling other needs.

Advertisement
So, think of NIL in light of NFL salary cap. May have multiple needs, but need to operate within a budget. If make a major outlay for QB, then need to be more financially prudent filling other needs.
Exactly. People are talking about CB1 in the Height thread. But think of it like the NFL: would anyone ever say, “We can’t sign Brent Urban because we need L’Darius Sneed?” Of course not.

Different price tags for different players.

I understand your concerns. But I think there is a consistent failure to understand the real world of roster management and NIL. This isn't fantasy football.

A frontline starting CB is extremely expensive. Whatever "salary cap" is left, that signing would take up a huge chunk of it. And that's assuming a good one jumps in the Portal and would be willing to come to Miami. For that scenario to play out, it will take luck and a huge bidding war.

So let's say you sign a frontline CB with the money. He's pushing out either Daryl Porter or Damari Brown. Porter, while not a first rounder or anything, was a good ACC corner last year on a good deal. Damari Brown, who already flirted with the Portal, is also on a decent deal and has two more years left with a lot of upside.

Now we've spent the money on a frontline CB (who is not currently in the Portal) and pushed out, say, Damari Brown. We still have the same depth problems we have right now. The CBs getting torched in practice are mostly backups, pushed up a spot because Brown isn't practicing. That's why we've talked about depth.

I've also read that we need another legit WR and a true #1 RB. Most of the people saying that are the same ones talking about CB. Those same people also say we need a bigger DT. I agree with those people. But, in this scenario, we spent a lot of that money in a bidding war to upgrade over Porter and Brown.

QB was different because we had no starter. Same with safety and center, although those positions aren't as expensive as CB. We bid heavy because we had no solid options. CB has some solid options. Not elite options, but that problem needs to be solved in recruiting. Which, by the way, also relies on that same NIL pool.

I wish NIL money was unlimited. But it's not. The good news: there is a way we can elevate our NIL pool so we don't have to make these tough decisions....

Click the link below and pick a plan. When you enter promo code “CIS” in the blue link titled “Add promotion Code” (right under “Subtotal”) you get 20% off your first month Canes Connection subscription. More importantly, you get access to a regular, private Zoom call with me where I share information I can’t share publicly. This is in addition to the other member benefits Canes Connection provides.

I agree with you…which is why bringing in Romello Height makes no sense.

We just need our young guys to step up and develop.

I agree with you…which is why bringing in Romello Height makes no sense.

We just need our young guys to step up and develop.
The difference is … there is no real price tag for Romello.

He needs Miami way more than we need him. D$ is saying the risk is limited there.

There is no real expense on the new NIL salary cap. If he gets beat by the freshmen cool/ if he keeps 2 freshmen from getting snaps it’s freshmen year, he’s gone anyways and you have to resell them anyway about next year’s development.

This would all be only relevant if 1. #’s workout correctly once you try for serious upgrades at other positions. 2. Another option with real interest/better production or potential doesn’t become available for the same price tag.

Because we aren’t talking about depth. We should be adding depth at corner and we will.

People are advocating for a frontline starter. I understand, and it may happen, but there are real-world tradeoffs and money considerations involved that are being ignored.

Also, Robby wasn’t getting reps at CB because of injuries. They are intrigued by his upside there and have been for a while (as I documented a year ago).
I'd feel a lot better about CB if safety wasn't such a question mark.

I do have to point out that if the market says CB is a high dollar position, there's a reason. But if they can spend at safety, then by all means. That's where I'm most worried tbh.

Advertisement
I'd feel a lot better about CB if safety wasn't such a question mark.

I do have to point out that if the market says CB is a high dollar position, there's a reason. But if they can spend at safety, then by all means. That's where I'm most worried tbh.

A week ago experts said CBs don’t win or lose games, this week CBs are a high dollar position…. CIS inflation…

IMG_1437.gif

Because we aren’t talking about depth. We should be adding depth at corner and we will.

People are advocating for a frontline starter. I understand, and it may happen, but there are real-world tradeoffs and money considerations involved that are being ignored.

Also, Robby wasn’t getting reps at CB because of injuries. They are intrigued by his upside there and have been for a while (as I documented a year ago).
I get the money/NIL aspect but you need more than 1 or 2 frontline starters at CB. Reading between the lines of your and Gaby’s comments it seems they don’t even want to attempt to go after a proven frontline starter because they’re afraid to upset the guy who already flirted with the portal. This would also explain why they didn’t go after a proven frontline starter in the previous portal window when there were multiple available.

I’m old enough to remember when that was frowned upon here and ALL of our ills of last year’s disappointing season were blamed on the last guy who did that. Atleast that guy has some sort of track record and played a position where only 1 guy started/played.

In any event, as far as their approach goes….

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

2 Weeks ago Mario said we would look for upgrades everywhere. Now we have reverted back to depth pieces AGAIN. Life comes at you fast.
A few hours ago it was “with NIL this spring portal is going to be wild with frontline starters unexpectedly entering at all positions”…..now it’s “if even a frontline starter at CB enters the portal”

Advertisement
I say move washington NOW permanent to CB and coach him and mack the **** up!! Ride with who we have and put nil in to a couple other positions. I just dnt see washington getting enough WR snaps to prevent the move. Use him in return game too

All of this is thoughtful and cogent. Although the risk of coming up short thru half measures is real. The program is already in deep with big investments at QB and OL...those are sunk costs. Those investment may be wasted without elite talent at WR/RB. Same might be said (to a lesser degree) on defense. I believe Canes can win big in 2024. Recognizing the very real team chemistry concerns, now is not the time to be penny wise and pound foolish by overly constraining the NIL budget.

Question on the Canes Connection: How much of subscription costs go to the NIL pool? Say I buy $1000 sub...how much ends up in the players hands?

Last edited:
Advertisement
i called that **** bruh dude is going to be electric. I saw the thread where fans were ripping him then turned on the tape and its all I had to see to disagree with the naysayers dog. U cant teach that quick twitch type of **** he has....PAUSE. I dont think hes an NFL qb but his game fits college ball real well.
Go back and look at the thread, I was rocking with Poff as soon as I turned the film on.

Glad we ended up getting Ward too though, we flipped the room pretty nicely in one off-season.

The difference is … there is no real price tag for Romello.

He needs Miami way more than we need him. D$ is saying the risk is limited there.

There is no real expense on the new NIL salary cap. If he gets beat by the freshmen cool/ if he keeps 2 freshmen from getting snaps it’s freshmen year, he’s gone anyways and you have to resell them anyway about next year’s development.

This would all be only relevant if 1. #’s workout correctly once you try for serious upgrades at other positions. 2. Another option with real interest/better production or potential doesn’t become available for the same price tag.
So Height is going to cost us nothing? I doubt that given the bs he pulled during signing. Even if its pennies, that can go to one of the positions we need more.
also if it's relative to position what is cheap for an edge can be considered solid/good pay for a RB....

Again if we have limited cap space, you don't open free agency by signing a guy that should be signed during the 4th wave.... if we're trying to use the nfl metaphor.

Advertisement
Back