Recruiting and Golden question

Stop comparing this class to Shannon’s last class. Shannon had Chick and Dorsett committed along with Nick Menocal when Golden took over. Albert-Jean Louis, Eli Rogers, Marcus Jackson, Teddy Bridgewater, Tavadius Glenn, Jeremy Davis were some others he had committed at one time or another. Most had de-committed before Golden even got there. People actually ****ed about how Golden didn't contact Nick and he committed to GT instead.

So far this recruiting cycle we’ve had 8 so called de-commitments. One didn’t actually have a committable offer (Holcy). Quentez was committed for a few weeks and wanted to wait. Feder is a project that flipped when OSU offered. Galitz flipped to Baylor but do we really need another scholarship kicker? Goudis will redshirt and have 2 more years and Freshmen Badgley may take his job even if he comes back. This all happened before the season started.

Currently we have 19 players committed. When was the last time we had over 20 players committed before the start of any season? Since the season started we’ve lost 4 "verbal commitments".
-Cronkite: Didn't want to come in with 3 other RBs who are all ranked higher than him.
-Archibald: I have no idea what happened on this one but I’m pretty sure we’ll be fine at TE with Dobbard, Herndon, O’Donnell, and Njoku.
-George: Pretty much de-committed when we lost Barrow before the season. Not a big loss IMO as he is a JUCO who is similar to a lot of guys we already have.
-Brown: One the weakest of 7 OL commits. Most people were complaining about taking so many OL, well we got rid of one the lower ranked ones.

Would you consider this class falling apart based on these facts? did I miss something? I'm pretty sure we lost 3 of our lower rated recruits and our 4th choice at RB. Did any of our top 5 recruits de-commit since the season started?

Decommits:
WR: Trevill Holcy (de-committed 3/26/2014)
DT: Quentez Johnson (decommitted 5/6/2014)
T: Kevin Feder (flipped to O$U 6/22/2014)
K: Drew Galitz (flipped to Baylor 8/26/2014)
RB: Jordan Cronkrite (de-committed 9/13/2014
TE: Bowman Archibald (flipped to Wake Forest 9/21/2014)
LB: Claude George (de-committed on 10/16/2014)
OG: Leeward Brown (flipped to West Virginia 10/28/2014)

jQHu0iU.gif

Fly The Banner

Advertisement
Golden is an average recruiter and recruiting to a scheme/system that defensive players don't want to play in.

I mean we are going to lose Tim Irvin, think about that.

Does anyone think the dude from ECU is the real deal, or just a one-hit wonder??

Some commentary on the guy: Ruffin McNeill, HC, ECU -- He's coaching at his alma mater, so I highly doubt he'd leave. That said, Virginia could more than triple his $400K yearly salary. Landing McNeill might mean also landing Lincoln Riley as our new offensive coordinator, which would mean the Air Raid would be arriving at UVA. Amen and Hallelujah

Ruffin%u00252BMcNeil.jpg

He looks Forrest Gumpish, but I like how he has his team balling out for him. The OC may land a big-time job this off-season as well!!

Golden is an average recruiter by Miami standards, and he's only gotten worse since his 2012 class, when he was still able to sell a dream to kids. Then the product on the field spoke for itself.

I would argue that the 2014 class can be better than the 2012 class. This will not be proven until at least 2-3 more years down the road but here is my case:

2012: We signed 33 guys and lost 15 already, here are the 18 that are left.
Duke, Flowers, Bush, Howard, Kirby, Waters, Gunter, McCord, Crawford, Isadora, Lewis, Rayshawn Jenkins, Gadbois, Moore, Hamilton, O’Donnell, D’Mauri, Crow

2014: We signed 27 players and all were qualified.

Here is the breakdown by position:

QB/RB
We got one of the best RBs ever at the U in 2012 but we may have gotten one of the best QB last year in Kaaya. Yearby is not too shabby either. Gray and Rosier have not shown much yet. Gray may turn out to be pretty good or he may be moved to WR next season.

WR/TE
Waters and Lewis are the 2 WR still left from 2012. Berrios, Brady, Njoku and Langham can be just as good. Gray may join the group as well next season.

OL
Flowers, Isadora and Gadbois was a very good haul at OL in 2012. In 2014 we got McDermott, Linder, and Darling. This group could be just as good.

DE/LB
McCord and Kirby are the only 2 LB/DE left from the 2012 class. We got C. Thomas, Owens, Young, Harris, D. Jack, M. Smith and McCray in 2014.

DT
2014 has the much better DT recruits in Jenkins, Heurtelou, Moten & Wyche. 2012 had Moore and Hamilton.

S/CB
2012 class had a strong secondary headlined by Bush and Howard, but also included Gunter, R. Jenkins, A. Crawford. We didn’t have to recruit as much DBs last year because we still have the 2012 class. Mayes, Gayot and Hester were the only 2 DBs in the class and we already lost Hester.

Last edited:
Does anyone think the dude from ECU is the real deal, or just a one-hit wonder??

Some commentary on the guy: Ruffin McNeill, HC, ECU -- He's coaching at his alma mater, so I highly doubt he'd leave. That said, Virginia could more than triple his $400K yearly salary. Landing McNeill might mean also landing Lincoln Riley as our new offensive coordinator, which would mean the Air Raid would be arriving at UVA. Amen and Hallelujah

View attachment 26874

He looks Forrest Gumpish, but I like how he has his team balling out for him. The OC may land a big-time job this off-season as well!!

Not for a big time program. There is a reason he was a career position coach.

Advertisement
James Burgess is too light to be making plays.

Sincerely,

Alfred Golden

P.S. There's a reason I didn't recruit him.

James Burgess is too light to be making plays.

Sincerely,

Alfred Golden

P.S. There's a reason I didn't recruit him.

Noone actually knows why he didn't end up here. We offered, he committed and then de-committed. To assume we didn't take him because he was too small is just stupid. I'm pretty sure we took Grace who was just as small as Burgess and why would we take his commitment if we didn't think he could play? Perryman was pretty small coming out too and Golden took him.

Last edited:
Seems to me that Golden does a great job of turning over the roster when kids can't play. You can't control the kids who got booted. If you look at the remaining kids form each class, you have about 10-12 starts or solids contributors.

Advertisement
I guess it isn't difficult to type with a cack in your mouth and one in your ****. The Golden slurping never ends.

Ohh the anti-Golden crew is working on some new material I see, lulz. This site is pure comedy.
How's that banner working out?

Advertisement
Back