OT: Nigel Bethel thread...Now Reinstated...Video included

C'mon so what if a woman hits you with a bat? Or shoots you? Nothing? When as a person would you say "okay I can hit back!" What if Nigel wasn't a football player but a 100 lb guy and breaks his nose still not okay?

I think as an adult you take responsibility for actions male or female. I will never tell my daughter that her actions was alright just because she is a girl

It's so dumb. A guy will stomp out some 5'3" 130lb. guy in the club for spilling a drink on him but turn around and tell you, "Yo you never hit a woman. No matter what bro. It's just not right. She isn't even big enough to do anything to you." Meanwhile he and his boys are still laughing about hitting some horse racing jockey with an RKO.

Advertisement
Still don't care about him. Still don't think two adults should be hitting each other over a pick up basketball game. Still don't he should have hit her.

Good luck to the young man in finding a place to continue his education and Making the most of second chance. Hopefully Ice Harris can help him out.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=11220337&src=desktop

Charges dropped vs. Nigel Bethel II
Max Olson

ESPN.com | July 15, 2014
Former Texas Tech cornerback Nigel Bethel II will not face assault charges for hitting a Red Raiders women's basketball player, according to his attorney.

Lubbock attorney Tray Payne told ESPN.com that the charges against Bethel were dropped after a grand jury found there was no evidence to substantiate assault nor probable cause to pursue charges.

"This is not what it was made out to be," Payne said. "He's a good kid with no criminal history, and this was out of character."

Bethel was facing felony assault charges after hitting Texas Tech women's basketball player Amber Battle during an on-campus pickup basketball game. The freshman from Miami was dismissed from the program a day later, on June 29.

Bethel told ESPN.com that he was "very relieved" by the grand jury's verdict but referred all other questions to Payne.

Battle, the Red Raiders' leading scorer in 2013-14, has admitted to having "initiated the first contact" in the incident and was suspended by Texas Tech for the month of November.

A former ESPN 300 recruit from Miami's Booker T. Washington High School, Bethel has completed his summer school session at Texas Tech and returned home to Miami, but has not decided which school he will attend next.

"The right decision, in our mind, would be for Tech to reinstate him and we go on down the road and he has a great career as a Red Raider," Payne said. "But if that's not the reality, I believe there are other schools that would love to have him on their team, and rightfully so."

Texas Tech did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

According to Payne, the incident occurred when Bethel attempted to block a shot by Battle and committed a foul during the basketball game at TTU's recreational center.

"As Bethel turned to go back down the court, Battle swung and punched Bethel in the head," Payne said. "Bethel's body language showed he had been struck, and he immediately turned toward Battle and struck her with his right hand on the left side of her face."

Payne said there was no additional fighting beyond Bethel's punch and that reports that Battle suffered a broken jaw were incorrect.

"My biggest issue with this was the lack of due process," Payne said. "This kid, in less than 48 hours, without even anyone seeing the video or reading the reports or even getting the truth, gets kicked out for no cause other than what they've heard. If this had been a normal student, it wouldn't have happened."

Last edited:
Advertisement
Kid is lucky. Guy still hit that girl, so he's still a punk ****. That's all.

I dont know if I agree with this. Should he have it her with force? No. But if ole girl hit him, and then squared up on him like she was going to do more, you gotta defend yourself. I have daughters and granddaughters and I have taught them that if they big and bad enough to square up on a man like they can go toe to toe, prepare for the consequences of what can happen. I will protect a victim, but not a fool. Ole girl was a fool.

Think about this then go re-read the thread who two-thirds of this place threw figueroa under the bus as soon as the allegations against him were revealed.

Advertisement
Think about this then go re-read the thread who two-thirds of this place threw figueroa under the bus as soon as the allegations against him were revealed.

figueroa admitted to drugging and raping a 17 year old. there's a big gulf between that and self defense.

I know I'll take some **** for it, but...take him. Depth is depth. He didn't do anything, girl hit him first. I don't think Al will take him though. He's crazy if he goes back there to Texas Tech

Nigel Bethel II @_NigelBethel · 13h

I would also like to apologize to Amber Battle for what happened, I should never put my hands on a woman no matter what the situation is.

Appreciate all my family, friends and fans for not turning your backs on me. And a big thanks to my lawyer @lawyerlubbock Tray Payne

I'm praying @kirbyhocutt and @TexasTech give me a second chance by reinstating me! Texas Tech is my home I don't want to be any where else.

Advertisement
I know I'll take some **** for it, but...take him. Depth is depth. He didn't do anything, girl hit him first. I don't think Al will take him though. He's crazy if he goes back there to Texas Tech

Why the **** would we take someone we let go, he did not decommit, he was kinda forced out of the class. We did not want him then and we **** sure don't want him now.

And to the person that tried to compare this to Fig, GTFOH with that ****.

Fig admitted that he drugged and raped a 17 yr old girl, he deserves the same treatment in jail, and as a man with 2 sisters, I wish they would fry that MFer Cane or not, and to be honest I wish this piece of **** never put on a Cane uniform.

He was the last player on the team that I thought would ever pull that type of **** with being raised by two great Marine no nonsense parents and the whole Raising Canes video of him and his parents, still can't believe it.

I can't imagine how his parents must feel.

And why does a UM starting LB have to rape underage chicks to get laid? WTF

Sorry for the rant

Advertisement
If he doesn't go back to Tech....I have a good feeling that coach Ice would try to get him to UM...somebody will take this kid....great blazing speed and good cover skills...just a little short (5'9)

Why the **** would we take someone we let go, he did not decommit, he was kinda forced out of the class. We did not want him then and we **** sure don't want him now.

And to the person that tried to compare this to Fig, GTFOH with that ****.

Fig admitted that he drugged and raped a 17 yr old girl, he deserves the same treatment in jail, and as a man with 2 sisters, I wish they would fry that MFer Cane or not, and to be honest I wish this piece of **** never put on a Cane uniform.

He was the last player on the team that I thought would ever pull that type of **** with being raised by two great Marine no nonsense parents and the whole Raising Canes video of him and his parents, still can't believe it.

I can't imagine how his parents must feel.

And why does a UM starting LB have to rape underage chicks to get laid? WTF

Sorry for the rant

You need to learn the difference between a police report and sworn testimony chief. Give the man his due process.

Get him some counseling and some adviser/mentor guidance.

There's nothing worse than wasted talent. Let him play.

Advertisement
Back