Marley Cook: "It's on now"

View as article
Homie from Tamu that transferred was the premiere transfer DT I wanted, PAUSE. So far MC aint the best at evaluating DT transfers he been whiffing there.

Can’t fight you there. Every wave of transfer portal signings has brought in front line guys.

Everywhere except DT.

Advertisement
I would love either one of the two Michigan state DT'S that previously entered the transfer portal last fall

Or better yet stealing Dione Walker from Kentucky ( the issue I could see is that he can be unfiltered during press conferences, which goes against Mario's keep it classy sportsmanship approach)

I wanted Miami to make run at flipping Kenneth Grant coming out of High school back in 2021 when he was a lowly 3* recruit,.

Go Canes

Adding Deone Walker would take this defense to another level

This is trolling, yes?

Assuming it isn't, if you wanted a preview of what our DL play looks like going into this season, check out that Rutgers game again. No true frosh, five star or not, is going to solidify our DL play, even with the rest being a year older. If he's mostly ready to go, he'll get his opportunities. It's a big ask to have him to start though.
Wait so we should look at a game against an OL and RB that ran all over OSU's starting D worse than ours on how we will look to start the year?

Maybe you didn't realize that their RB was the leading rusher in the BIG 10.

Wait so we should look at a game against an OL and RB that ran all over OSU's starting D worse than ours on how we will look to start the year?

Maybe you didn't realize that their RB was the leading rusher in the BIG 10.

That or maybe I did as they only mentioned it how many times during the broadcast? That was a serious swing and a miss.

I look at the entire picture and we what we are bringing back isn't impressive at all. Do you see it differently, if so, explain.

We better be able to stop the run and pressure the QB or teams will feast on this defense at both ends as our secondary is porous as **** right now.

Can’t fight you there. Every wave of transfer portal signings has brought in front line guys.

Everywhere except DT.

Absolutely atrocious. While we're finding guys like Ward, Lee, Cohen, Kiko, Mesidor at other positions, at DT, we brought in Jackson, Lichtenstein, Campbell, Deen, Gore, Cook, CJ Clark, Burroughs.
  • Jackson looked like Tarzan, played slightly better than Jane, mid-tier ACC starter
  • Deen was small but played above his stature, mid-tier ACC rotational starter
  • Lichtenstein was a JAG, at best bench strength ACC level
  • Gore at best bench strength ACC level
  • Campbell couldn't beat out Deen, Gore or Lichtenstein, so....?
  • Burroughs punched a Bama coach and made death threats to Lee
  • Clark? Can he be at least as good as Jackson and significantly better than Deen?
  • Cook? Weight room champion who looks like Gore in practice.
🤮 🤮 🤮 🤮 🤮 🤮 🤮 🤮

You have to get a better transfer this cycle, I don't care how potentially talented Scott and Jones may be.

Advertisement
Playoffs?

If your expectation is for an interior DL adept at rushing the passer AND taking on double teams is going to fall out of the sky then I'm afraid we're not on the same page here with all due respect.

Does Gerald Willis have any eligibility left? I'll take Jackson on the boomerang. Hey if Parrish can do it to Ole Miss, why not us? ... Honestly don't care, coaches need to shake the bushes hard with this one, IMO. Scott or Jones may turn out to be the next Bain or Mauigoa, but you can't count on it.

And yes playoffs. You don't bring in Ward to be an ACC runner up, you bring him in to be a Top 12 team and make the playoffs. So get the supporting cast to make it happen.

That or maybe I did as they only mentioned it how many times during the broadcast? That was a serious swing and a miss.

I look at the entire picture and we what we are bringing back isn't impressive at all. Do you see it differently, if so, explain.

We better be able to stop the run and pressure the QB or teams will feast on this defense at both ends as our secondary is porous as **** right now.
I see a much better D this year.

First: Guirdy with a healthy Mesidor and Kelley gets to go back to his base 4/2/5 which is his bread and butter. We have some real dogs at DE IMO and while the DT's are mostly unproven in Guirdy's scheme they don't need to be huge. They ned to be quick and be able to tackle and get pressure.

Second: We haven't had LB's this fast and this good in a while. I think that helps with the Run D.

Third: I think while we have unproven DB's we should be able to pick up an impact player after spring. (I hope).

Now if we somehow find a big hoss DT in the portal after spring I will be ecstatic.

Homie from Tamu that transferred was the premiere transfer DT I wanted, PAUSE. So far MC aint the best at evaluating DT transfers he been whiffing there.
Feels like we’ve been pretty cheap in the portal outside of Cam. Not really sure what our budget is obviously landing top 5 classes when you’re garbage on the field isn’t cheap

Feels like we’ve been pretty cheap in the portal outside of Cam. Not really sure what our budget is obviously landing top 5 classes when you’re garbage on the field isn’t cheap

I’d rather gamble on and pay young/homegrown talent.

It’ll take a bit longer to straighten out the program, but that’s the right approach long term.

Advertisement

It’ll take a bit longer to straighten out the program, but that’s the right approach long term.
I’m good with that strategy as well. Portal needs to supplement recruiting imo

DT and WR portal have been rough for us but same time those positions are always going to be highly coveted by teams with more leverage than us

It’s the price you pay for being so ****** for so long I guess

I see a much better D this year.

First: Guirdy with a healthy Mesidor and Kelley gets to go back to his base 4/2/5 which is his bread and butter. We have some real dogs at DE IMO and while the DT's are mostly unproven in Guirdy's scheme they don't need to be huge. They ned to be quick and be able to tackle and get pressure.

Second: We haven't had LB's this fast and this good in a while. I think that helps with the Run D.

Third: I think while we have unproven DB's we should be able to pick up an impact player after spring. (I hope).

Now if we somehow find a big hoss DT in the portal after spring I will be ecstatic.

Thank you for explaining your position.

The post I commented in first was addressing a need for a DT. We clearly need one and I don't care how good the DE's are, we don't have guys who can hold up on the interior right now. Any decent offense would leverage the DE's up the field and out. They would take advantage of our soft interior and have big running lanes wherever they would want. Still haven't seen enough from the LB'er position to say they could fill.

Unless you've got the Bermuda Triangle back there, you can't be soft up the gut.

As for the secondary, we've been talking about finding some players there forever, in particular at corner. I hope you're right, need is DT and anything in the secondary. Let's land some players that are experienced, you know what you should be getting out of them, and let the inexperienced players we do have learn without all that pressure.

I don't have an issue with that but Mario is in win now or next year at the latest. He hasn't justified his paycheck to this point and that's something I think most if not all could agree on.

Thank you for explaining your position.

The post I commented in first was addressing a need for a DT. We clearly need one and I don't care how good the DE's are, we don't have guys who can hold up on the interior right now. Any decent offense would leverage the DE's up the field and out. They would take advantage of our soft interior and have big running lanes wherever they would want. Still haven't seen enough from the LB'er position to say they could fill.

Unless you've got the Bermuda Triangle back there, you can't be soft up the gut.

As for the secondary, we've been talking about finding some players there forever, in particular at corner. I hope you're right, need is DT and anything in the secondary. Let's land some players that are experienced, you know what you should be getting out of them, and let the inexperienced players we do have learn without all that pressure.
All good points!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back